The Student Room Group

It's okay to marry your first cousin. Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

heres another example "a study of Czechoslovakian children whose fathers were first degree relatives. Fewer than half of the children who were the product of incestuous unions were completely healthy. Forty-two percent of them were born with severe birth defects or suffered early death and another 11 percent were mildly mentally impaired. "
also if incest was legal there would be nothing preventing a parent and child from marrying
Haemophillia in the european royal families in the victorian era
the elongated skulls in egyptian royal family
the habsburg jaw
and thats only humans
the amish are not an anomaly
Original post by Guinevera
heres another example "a study of Czechoslovakian children whose fathers were first degree relatives. Fewer than half of the children who were the product of incestuous unions were completely healthy. Forty-two percent of them were born with severe birth defects or suffered early death and another 11 percent were mildly mentally impaired. "
also if incest was legal there would be nothing preventing a parent and child from marrying

Cousin marriages are not incest. :nope:
A cousin is not a first-degree relative. :nope:
Original post by Gaya Ramanathan
It's wrong really. You're blood related.

We're all blood-related if we go far enough back; we just draw an arbitrary threshold somewhere / people turn a blind eye to that because it highlights their own hypocrisy / people are ignorant.

Please expand further / be more specific.

Original post by TimeTravel_0
Morally speaking, it is wrong.

What principles do you base your morals on?
The only place where morals and your own morality come into this is to highlight your own hypocrisy and inconsistency in your views, nothing more.
nah
Original post by Manz too smooth
It's something called incest.

Where do you draw the line? What's your definition to incest / what does it constitute?

Original post by Vicky628
If it risks harming the child, it's wrong

We should genetically screen all people then and check for risks for diseases...

If a person is above an arbitrary threshold, they shouldn't be allowed to copulate...

For extra preventative measures men & women could undergo sterilisation.

Eugenics FTW!!!

Your statement needs a bit of work; too unspecific and open to interpretation.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Usually when one gives a moral explanation for why something is wrong, it has to do with who that act harms.

In any case everyone is blood related, more or less distantly.

Well, that depends on your code of ethics - no?

That's a bit of a slippery slope.
Reply 67
Yes it is ok.
Why would someone want to? :s that's your relative man and counter to popular belief your kids will have webbed feet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
If they really want to its nobody elses business to stop them however the resultant inbred child and the potential for harm to it are to be considered.
Such hypocrites...
There are so many responses which just say "Ew, it's just wrong, it's disgusting etc." and nothing else. If that's sufficient reason to to ban something, can we please ban gay marriage already? *shudder*
Original post by cosmic angel
Not sure if you are trying to be funny or just hopeless at maths. Either way you are repeatedly creating confusion in your replies to me.

If 5%, then the difference would be 40 versus 50 -not versus 60- out of 1000. 40 unhealthy children to 960 healthy ones compared to 50 unhealthy children to 950 healthy ones isn't a mathematically significant difference. You clearly have no idea what it means for something to be mathematically significant.

The difference isn't enough to justify accepting one and stigmatizing the other, which is more to the point.

It was a typo but no need to be insulting.
Original post by XcitingStuart
We're all blood-related if we go far enough back; we just draw an arbitrary threshold somewhere / people turn a blind eye to that because it highlights their own hypocrisy / people are ignorant.

The only place where morals and your own morality come into this is to highlight your own hypocrisy and inconsistency in your views, nothing more.

Except for the fact that we're not 12.5% genetically related unlike first cousins.
Just to put this out there although its not relevant to most. The bible-although banning incest- does not consider cousin-cousin relationships as forbidden incest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
Original post by TimeTravel_0
Don't feel the need to explain myself. But, you have to draw the line somewhere. If it's something that increases the likelihood of birth defects then it should be avoided altogether. Why take the risk when you can avoid it?

Not every marriage results in kids...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jambojim97
When repeated over generations, inbreeding causes serious health risks. Islamic consanguineous marriage is a prime example.

Wrong here. The marriage of relatives in Saudi is a CULTURAL thing. Please do not mistake a cultural thing for a religious one. In Saudi, you are only allowed to marry within your own tribe (eg. Otaibi, Al-Jahlani). It's not a law but is generally looked down upon if you marry someone out of your tribe. This is a cultural thing only among Saudi's.
My parents are first cousins so I don't really have a problem with it. I agree with the birth defects thing because it has happened in our family. Most people say it's disgusting because they usually have a close connection with their first cousins unlike my parents, my parents lived in 2 seperate countries without much contact for most of their lives.

In addition, if I married my first cousin it wouldn't be a problem morally because I don't have much contact with them tbh however personally I would most likely not marry them because they usually have opinions I disagree with and also I wouldn't want my child to potentially be disabled even though I'm not, there is a high risk.

Also a lot of things are said like the child is always going to be disabled, it's a possibility but I'm not and neither are my 2 siblings. A lot of people say they're usually unattractive but I've been told I'm not so personal preference really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by XcitingStuart

I get my views from the Bible, and from the teachings of Jesus Christ. I've also read up on the genetic defects that result from first cousin marriages, and so that's why I don't agree with this particular practice. It is true that we are all blood-related, but what does that have to do with first-cousin marriages?
regardless of statistics, i certainly wont be bonking any cousin of mine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending