The Student Room Group

AQA Biology Unit 2 with Anon_98.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
lol.

Um, so I've decided that I'm going to start at around 12/1am and I'll just stay up until like.. 6am, then go to bed for an hour then work again... hopefully I'll manage it.

But something's kinda come up so I need to do that first. )': Then I'll get back to work + stuff.
Original post by Anon_98
I can't do this anymore lol.

What time do I go to bed. :cry:

Do I even go to sleep tonight.

Should I sleep now until 3am then do work until Midday?

Or maybe work until Midnight then wake up at 5am or something?

Ohmyg, I can't do this LMAO.

LOLOLOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.

it's not even funny. :nope:

These are such bad ideas.

I'M DOING IT AGAIN, WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME. WHY COULDN'T I HAVE JUST READ MY STUPID EXAM TIMETABLE CORRECTLY LIKE A NORMAL HUMAN BEING AND REVISED FOR THE RIGHT EXAM. WHY DO I LACK BASIC SKILLS.

Who reads their timetable wrong fgs. :frown:

I hate myself so much. :banghead:

Meh. :'3

I'm taking another break. :frown:

You can do this! You are a lovely, magical unicorn, and you can beat the heck out of Biology. You just need to relax and stay calm and focused.

Make up a good game plan, so you can efficiently revise each topic - even if you have to sacrifice small details that are unlikely to come up. And make sure you get a good amount of sleep, just so you can focus in the exam.

We all believe in you, Anon! We're rooting for you! :jumphug:
Reply 62
Original post by Remaine
Keep trucking, breh. You're on the way.

Original post by flyingpanda
You can do this! You are a lovely, magical unicorn, and you can beat the heck out of Biology. You just need to relax and stay calm and focused.

Make up a good game plan, so you can efficiently revise each topic - even if you have to sacrifice small details that are unlikely to come up. And make sure you get a good amount of sleep, just so you can focus in the exam.

We all believe in you, Anon! We're rooting for you! :jumphug:

Ty ty ty, lots. - The support is v much appreciated. :cube:
Reply 63
YOU CAN DO IT ANON OMG :woo:

We all make silly, stupid mistakes. I mixed up the times of one of my exams during A Levels and ended up missing it :lol: Don't dwell on it now, stressing, worrying and panicking won't accomplish anything. Just prepare the best way you can and try to give it as much of your attention as you can and I'm sure you'll be okay :smile: And definitely sleep, but maybe wake up a little earlier than normal to give yourself some more time to go over the units..

Don't worry too much, what's done is done, try your best with the exam tomorrow and just focus on the rest afterwards :smile:

and most importantly, BREAAAAAAAAATHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Good Luck Anon :jumphug:
Reply 64
Okay, I've finally sorted the other stuff out and I have changed into some new clothes + I have also changed settings so I'm currently in the living room bc my bedroom will probably make me feel sleepy and I don't want any music in the background when I'm working either + I have got myself some raspberry chocolate + a bottle of water so I guess I'm ready. - I have to start haemoglobin all over again tho bc I lost it when I was having the mini breakdown lol. :'3
Reply 65
Original post by Anon_98
Okay, I've finally sorted the other stuff out and I have changed into some new clothes + I have also changed settings so I'm currently in the living room bc my bedroom will probably make me feel sleepy and I don't want any music in the background when I'm working either + I have got myself some raspberry chocolate + a bottle of water so I guess I'm ready. - I have to start haemoglobin all over again tho bc I lost it when I was having the mini breakdown lol. :'3

Memorise these key points (it's pretty much most biological functions, but in bullet points on what you will gain a mark on), and you should be able to get at least a C. I did this last year and got a very high B (although I skipped a few questions) :colondollar:

Edit: also go on quizlet and type in AQA AS Bio unit 2 for some flashcards.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by Zuki
YOU CAN DO IT ANON OMG :woo:

We all make silly, stupid mistakes. I mixed up the times of one of my exams during A Levels and ended up missing it :lol: Don't dwell on it now, stressing, worrying and panicking won't accomplish anything. Just prepare the best way you can and try to give it as much of your attention as you can and I'm sure you'll be okay :smile: And definitely sleep, but maybe wake up a little earlier than normal to give yourself some more time to go over the units..

Don't worry too much, what's done is done, try your best with the exam tomorrow and just focus on the rest afterwards :smile:

and most importantly, BREAAAAAAAAATHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Good Luck Anon :jumphug:

Thank you ever so much + it's nice to know I'm not alone. :heart:
Reply 67
Original post by kkboyk
Memorise these key points (it's pretty much most biological functions, but in bullet points on what you will gain a mark on), and you should be able to get at least a C. I did this last year and got a very high B (although I skipped a few questions) :colondollar:

Oh goodness.- TYSM!

So many resources + I don't know what to do with them, ohmyg. :cry:

Umumummmmmm.

Okay, now I don't know whether to abandon what I was previously doing.. or.. :crazy:

Oh dear.

Um.

Alright, I think I'll do that until, like, 3am. - Thanks so much!
Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 00.16.34.png
Attachment not found
this?
Reply 69
Original post by Proxenus
this?

Yes, that's on my spec too.- but don't worry about attaching the full document bc I think I've currently got enough material to work from + stuff.

Thank you lots though :smile: <3
Reply 70
Um, alright. I'm going to type stuff out rather than write it out bc this seems to work better + it's quicker. Going to begin by working through all the key points/key questions bc they're really good ( ^-^ )then I'm going to do past papers to see where my gaps lie. That's my plan. I'll just be repeating everything over and over until it sticks. Hopefully typing that out will accomplish that. I'm going to start from the very beginning of the word document so that kinda means repeating what I've already done but... i dont know ...I guess it doesn't matter bc I need to work systematically. O_O

~

What is variation?

The difference between organisms.

Variation is the difference between organisms.

Variation = the difference between organisms.

There are two types.

Interspecific and Intraspecific.

Interspecific is between organisms of the different species.
Intraspecific is between organisms of the same species.

Discontinuous vs Continuous Variation?

Discontinuous = characteristics fall into certain groups with no overlap (e.g. blood group) determined by genetics alone.

AND continuous = characteristics show a range (e.g. height) determined by genetic and environmental factors

What is Standard Deviation?

Spread of data around the mean.

Standard deviation is the spread of DATA around the mean.

The spread of data around the mean is standard deviation.

Why is SD better than Range?

bc the range is largest minus the smallest + range is affected by outliers.

Standard deviation is not affected by outliers.

The range is the difference between the largest and smallest values and it's unaffected by the outliers.

~

If the SD of 2 different means overlap, what does it imply?

The difference between the 2 means is not significant but is due to chance

IF the standard deviation of two different means overlap it means that it's not significant and it's due to chance.

NOT SIGNIFICANT.

overlap = insignificant.

~

What do twin studies test?

The influence of genetics and environment on characteristics.

Twin studies test the influence of genetics and environment on characteristics.

INFLUENCE on genetics and environment.
You can do this Anon :redface:
Reply 72
What do identical twins share?

Same alleles and same environment.
Reply 73
Identical twins share the same alleles and environment.

Same environment.

Same alleles.

~

What if non-identical twins are similar?

Due to similar environment

What if non-identical twins are different?

Due to different alleles

Okay so basically if non identical twins are similar it's bc they're in a similar environment and if they're different then it's bc they've got different alleles.
Reply 74
Original post by Carpe Diem Jay
You can do this Anon :redface:

Thank you, Carpe! <3
Reply 75
Alright, that's variation done. Done done doneeeee. Now onto DNA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
Building block of DNA?

WELL, DNA is made up of monomers called nucleotides (phosphate, deoxyribose sugar, nitrogenous base)

DNA structure?

2 polynucleotides joined by hydrogen bonds between the complementary bases (AT, CG) coils to form a helix.

A and T.

C and G.

A-T ( 2 bonds)

C- G(3 bonds.)

Benefits of DNA as a double helix?
more stable, beneficial in semi-conservative replication, more compact

So, the benefits are that it's obviously more stable which means it's more beneficial in semi-conservative replication. It's also more compact.

- STABLE.
Reply 77
What is a gene?

A section of DNA that codes for a protein, made out of intron (non-coding dna) and exon (coding dna)

Oh okay.

Cool so basically a gene is a section oF DNA that codes for a protein.

Introns are non coding

Exons are coding.

Exons are the coding DNA.

CODING REGIONS ARE CALLED EXONS.
Reply 78
How does a gene/exon code for a protein?

−made out of a sequence of bases
−each 3 bases code for 1 amino acid (triplet code)
−therefore
−sequence of bases
−determines sequence of triplet codes
−which determine the sequence of AAs
−= primary structure (folds to secondary, then to tertiary/quaternary)

A gene codes for a protein bc OBVIOUSLY it's made out of a sequence of bases and each 3 bases code for 1 amino acid.

That means per amino acid, you get 3 bases.

3 BASES = 1 amino acid.

And it's known as the triplet code. :h:

Okay, so therefore the sequence of bases determines the sequence of triplet codes which determines the sequence of amino acids bc obviously it's just like a chain.

So, sequence of bases = sequence of triplets = sequence of amino acids.
Reply 79
Original post by Anon_98
x

Maybe you should try to learn some mark schemes for papers if you don't have enough time to do them, it's not the best way of revision but it may be a faster way and you get a feel for the exam in a shorter time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending