The Student Room Group

how to revise ?

I do a levels in biology, chemistry and computer science. If anyone is doing any of the following a levels, have you got any tips and your revision method on how to do well in the subject?

thank you
Original post by aspiring_med1
I do a levels in biology, chemistry and computer science. If anyone is doing any of the following a levels, have you got any tips and your revision method on how to do well in the subject?
thank you
Hi there,

I take both bio and chem and here are some of the things that I suggest for these subjects.

For biology I would say past paper practice and constant recall. In biology the content is necessarily hard, but its the application of the information that can make or break your grade, and the only way to ensure you know how to apply your knowledge is through application on past papers. This is because sometimes they require certain key words to get the mark, and unless you know these key words, you wont get a high grade, regardless of if you know the content or not. I also suggested constant recall becuase biology is a very content heavy subject so you dont want to miss anything out or forget anything.

For chemistry I would suggest the same, but along with that also bluring. Of cource you can do blurting for biology too but I find it so much more useful on chemistry for certain topics (bonding etc) and thought you might also find it helpful.

But the main thing for both of these is just little but everyday because you dont want to neglect them and then cram, so even that little bit eventually gathers up to push your grade up.

I hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Tatakae L
Hi there,
I take both bio and chem and here are some of the things that I suggest for these subjects.
For biology I would say past paper practice and constant recall. In biology the content is necessarily hard, but its the application of the information that can make or break your grade, and the only way to ensure you know how to apply your knowledge is through application on past papers. This is because sometimes they require certain key words to get the mark, and unless you know these key words, you wont get a high grade, regardless of if you know the content or not. I also suggested constant recall becuase biology is a very content heavy subject so you dont want to miss anything out or forget anything.
For chemistry I would suggest the same, but along with that also bluring. Of cource you can do blurting for biology too but I find it so much more useful on chemistry for certain topics (bonding etc) and thought you might also find it helpful.
But the main thing for both of these is just little but everyday because you dont want to neglect them and then cram, so even that little bit eventually gathers up to push your grade up.
I hope this helps :smile:
Thank you so in terms of the resources you use, what did you use for both biology and chemistry?
Thank you so in terms of the resources you use, what did you use for both biology and chemistry?
It depends on what exam boards you take (I take AQA bio and OCR A chem) so what I do is I use my CGP notebooks paired with the A level AQA Biogly book by glenn something for biology and for chemisrty I also use my CGP notebooks paired with a really old textbook called chemistry through time by micheal freeman. Then I also use pmt, especially if I want to do topic specific exam questions, and also save my exams. You get 10 free revision notes per month to veiw with save my exams so bear that in mind unless you pay for it. Then if I really dont understand and I need it explained to me a bit differently I will also use freesciencelessons because he is such a godsend at times for when I really dont understand anything. Other than that my main reivision will be paired with my classnotes, notes from my textbooks and then past papers.
thank you
Hi @aspiring_med1,

In terms of chemistry, for inorganic you would be required to be familiar with calculations and practical skills. Through practice, you will become more familiar with the maths, they often become quite repetitive and easy to do- lots of practice questions will secure you those marks in the exam. With the practicals, you'll need to pay attention to details such as how equipment is set up, which chemicals are used and at which order etc... You might find it useful to draw the diagram of each practical as well. Whereas for organic chemistry, you would be required to have a good understanding of organic mechanisms and naming organic compounds. There are plenty videos online highlighting the steps to each of these mechanisms. Memorising the names of organic compounds will get easier with more practice.

For biology I found it helpful to go through each chapter and make a summary. I used the Cornell note method to summarise each chapter. I tried to make sure the summary encapsulated the bullet points from the specification. Flashcards were also my best friend as I noticed that a lot of the past paper questions ask for definitions and biological processes. These questions were often big mark questions, that are actually easily answered once you've memorised the process.

After you have gone through your past papers, identify where you got wrong answers and try to understand why that happened. Was it a miscalculation? If so, attempt it again and see if you can get it right. Knowing you got an answer wrong is one thing, but understanding why you got it wrong is what will strengthen your understanding.

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep
Reply 5
thank you

It's hard work, but basically you need to focus on past papers and creating flashcards. ALevels.ai is a really useful tool. It gives you a methodical approach to revision; it tracks the units that you have covered and identifies where your weaknesses are. It also has a flashcard tool.
Reply 6
thank you

It's definitely hard work, but the most effective way to revise is to focus on past papers and creating flashcards. ALevels.ai is a really useful tool. It gives you a methodical approach to revision; it tracks the units that you have covered and identifies where your weaknesses are. It also has a flashcard tool.
Reply 7
thank you

It's definitely hard work, but the most effective way to revise is to focus on past papers and creating flashcards. ALevels.ai is a really useful tool. It gives you a methodical approach to revision; it tracks the units that you have covered and identifies where your weaknesses are. It also has a flashcard tool.
Reply 8
thank you

The most effective app is ALevels.ai. It is a really useful tool. It gives you a methodical approach to revision; it tracks the units that you have covered and identifies where your weaknesses are. It doesn't use pdfs which makes it much easier to see the past paper questions. You can click on the question and it flips to the mark scheme.
thank you

Hi!

I did my Alevels in biology and chemistry as well and for both of these topics, I found past papers the best way to go, especially this close to exams!

I’d use them to look at any areas I might be weaker in and go over these in extra details. Quizlet flash cards were great for getting core knowledge cemented into my brain and then past papers to apply this! I always saved 1-2 papers until the week before exam so I had a good idea of where I was at with an unseen paper!

I hope this helps,
-Rebecca, UCLan

Quick Reply

Latest