The Student Room Group

What are your parents' views on gay people?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EllainKahlo
He always has an excuse when I catch him watching yet another carnival for drag-queens. His recent obsession is RuPaul's Drag Race. If he really found such 'abnormal' people so reprehensible, he wouldn't support them by watching these shows religiously lol

Hahahaaa this is too funny.
Original post by Little Popcorns
Hahahaaa this is too funny.

His expression is hilarious when he sees me walk into the room and ask him what he's watching :u:
Their attitude is basically live and let live. Although they do occasionally say un-PC things about homosexuals, they don't actually have anything against them.
Both my parents are open-minded and accepting, thank god (I'll be coming out as bi at some point this year) - it's not exactly a topic that's widely discussed, but they're happy to talk to me about it if I bring it up. Considering my aunt came out as trans a few years ago after being my dad's big brother for about 50 years, and it's been accepted completely, I'd say they're allies.

There was an... issue in another branch of the family, where one of my great-uncle's grandchildren (who I've never met) came out as gay and there was something to do with someone else in that branch cutting off all contact with him because of it, but I'd say that's a minority in my family (I hope).
I think that the real question is will the younger (our) generation have a more open minded and tolerant outlook when we become the independent population. I like to this so but I wonder if I'm being naive.
One of my parents is gay and has re-married and adopted a son with his partner.
So he's open about it, my family are fine with it, and I've been fine with it since he came out when I was 4.
My mum couldn't give a monkeys about someones sexuality and she has always told me if I ever came out as gay or bi (which I did years ago) it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference and it never did. She had experimented when she was younger too. She is very liberal with most things.
Both my parents are completely fine with it, and are very open with teaching my siblings and I about how it's okay to love whoever you love when we were young

One set of grandparents is fine with it, they use outdated (and now slightly uncomfortable) language, but again really support it. The other side are quiet conservative and are a bit meh at any public affection (kissing) of any sexuality, but are for gay marriage etc

So all in all I'm glad to be surrounded by these tolerant, aware people:h:
I think my Dad is fine with it - she doesn't say it but I think deep down my mum has a problem with them. On the odd occasion someone's mentioned the possibility of myself or my sister being gay she acts in a "but you aren't, are you?" sort of fashion, although a little more subtle.
"Don't care."
My mum is the most close minded and ignorant person when it comes to homosexuality, she thinks it's a mental disease. I can guarantee you if I was gay and came out, she would disown me and would never want to speak to me but lol what do you expect she's Muslim.
(edited 7 years ago)
neither of them really care
they say it's not relevant to their lives

if I wasn't straight I think they'd be a little uncomfortable and try to talk me out of it, but they definitely wouldn't disown me or anything :tongue:
Mum and dad both find it as a social blight, and my dad especially has resentment deep down for homosexuality, and believe that homosexuality is promoted too much in society and increasingly corrupts the younger generations with such liberal attitudes. When he sees two men kissing on TV or even a camp person talking, he tells them to get off the telly and changes the channel lmao.
My mum doesn't seem to have a wiser issue but has a problem with her own son being gay.

My father just keeps his mouth shut about it but doesn't like it at all.

Sad world we live in, really.
My dad isn't a fan. I put it down to his Jamaican roots.

My mum is fine with it.
Reply 35
Original post by hoping4thebest
Now that there's been a terrorist attack in the US that has targeted gay people, it is clear that the issue of LGBT people and discrimination against them is going to be on the news again.

So I was just wondering what the older generation (our parents) feel about homosexuality, gay people and the LGBT movement? What do they think of homosexuality and the other parts of LGBT?

Both my parents are pretty much indifferent but they do find it a little unnatural and unsettling but this is mainly due to a slightly exaggerated appearance for example a gay guy with a feminine action/appearance. This is more evident with transexuality.
Dad- Has a problem with gay men but not lesbians.
Mum- Says she doesn't mind gay people but it's so obvious that she finds them uncomfortable. Pretty sure she nearly had a heart attack when I told her as a joke that I was a lesbian and I made up my boy crushes to sound straight.
They seem fine with homosexuality on the whole, but I can't escape the feeling that they'd be very uncomfortable if I came home with a boyfriend.
Reply 38
My dad has an issue with gays who rub their gayness in people's faces, but doesn't mind like manly gays.

My mom and stepdad just do not agree with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alexion
They seem fine with homosexuality on the whole, but I can't escape the feeling that they'd be very uncomfortable if I came home with a boyfriend.

Yeah this (but with a girlfriend lmao)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending