The Student Room Group

Are you racist?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hchc
I think we're all racist, to some degree. Even if we're not overtly racist like certain people in the media, within us all there is some subconscious racism. For instance, imagine you're in a fire and there are 2 other people, one of whom is the same race as you, the other is a different race. If you could only save one, nearly all, if not all of us would save the one who was the same race as us. This is because there are no other factors to really go off, so you will choose the one who is more similar to yourself, believing it to be the right choice. Or another situation which you may have encountered: you are in a supermarket and have a choice of 2 empty tills, again one tiller is the same race as you, the other isn't. I bet most people here, rushed to make their mind up, have chosen the tiller who is of the same race as them. It's the same in many other situations, you choose the person who is of your own race, it's all subconscious and can't really be stopped, but it's at work in us all. It happens with other features as well, if the only factor separating them is that one has glasses and the other doesn't, and you have glasses, you'd probably pick the person who had glasses.

Please don't tar us all with this ridiculously broad brush; that is what YOU would do, I most certainly would not.

I am Black, yet in the fire scenario if one of the people was an old Black Man who had lived most of his years anyway and one was a terrified White child, I would save the children. If both were terrified children, one White and one Black, I would save the one closest to me.

I have never chosen a tiller or anything similar based on his/her race, rushing or not.

Or what about those who prefer to date outside of their race or those like me who have no dating preference when it comes to race?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending