The Student Room Group

Why did Scotland mostly vote Remain?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Because in general Scotland is less racist that England.

Also Scotland is already dictated to from afar, so why not at least be dictated to by people with better catering facilities.
They've got a few brain cells. I supported for Scotland to stay apart of the UK previously, I now hope they get a 2nd referendum, no need to drag them down with us now.
(edited 7 years ago)
Because Scotland has always been pro-Europe and the pro-European SNP has a lot of influence there.

In England we're more disillusioned and there's no real party monopoly to influence us. The fact the Tories have only about 30% of the country's support does say something about how we don't have much faith in our politicians' abilities to straighten out the EU mess.
Original post by offhegoes

This isn't about racism. Xenophobia maybe, but Europeans are mostly white, the same race as many racists. You could easily argue that staying in the EU is more racist since it gives Europeans preferential treatment over non-white immigration from elsewhere.

could be wrong but I wouldve said Scotland was more racist?
I don't understand it. They would rather be controlled by the EU than the UK. So will Scotland have to use euros if they do make a successful referendum?
Because migrants don't go to Scotland (who would want to go to Scotland) so they did not have to worry about immigration.
Primarily because we are less affected by immigration therefore its not seen as a problem. I guess other big reasons include the fact that lots of infrastructure - major roads in the Highlands for example - receive funding from the EU rather than from Westminster. I think about 20% of the population (1 million or so out of the 5.2 million) lives rurally too so benefits from farming subsidies and and other funding for rural communities leads to support for the EU.

I would imagine racist sentiment to be far less because we have fewer ethnic minorities and therefore less reason to feel threatened by other cultures, which is often the underlying reason for racism. I would also say Scottish patriotism is generally seen in a different light to English patriotism - English patriotism is unfortunately more associated with football thugs, but because our national teams aren't much good our thugs don't get the chance to give us such a bad rep, instead our patriotism is seen as men in kilts doing the highland fling while drinking irn bru or whisky and eating haggis.
(edited 7 years ago)
Because Scotland is a lot more Left leaning/liberal and Pro-EU than England is.

I imagine the majority of Scots are now praying that being part of the EU will still be on the table for the next independence referendum, despite the vote yesterday. I know I am, having to join from scratch would take years.
Original post by Ladymusiclover
I don't understand it. They would rather be controlled by the EU than the UK. So will Scotland have to use euros if they do make a successful referendum?

Well, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have been allowed to keep the pound if they'd voted out of the UK last time round, but I think they'd go for the Euro. It doesn't mean they'd have to, but it would make most sense since that currency would surely be stronger than a new Scottish currency.
Original post by cookie123456789
Because migrants don't go to Scotland (who would want to go to Scotland) so they did not have to worry about immigration.

You've clearly never visited Scotland, Edinburgh is chock full of English economic migrants seeking a better life.

The last time I check the United Kingdom was an independent state, not a 'controlled' one. Don't listen to Leave propaganda, check your facts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also Scotland is already dictated to from afar, so why not at least be dictated to by people with better catering facilities.

Exactly. I'm hoping for a Scotland referendum. If they leave Britain after us leaving the EU, there is still hope and I'll probably move there because they seem more reliable at this point.

Scotland has a rapidly ageing population and therefore many are actually quite keen for immigration as it is mainly young people of a working age that come here, which increases taxes etc. so we can support the increasing number of elderly in our population.
Original post by Science_Girl
Scotland has a rapidly ageing population and therefore many are actually quite keen for immigration as it is mainly young people of a working age that come here, which increases taxes etc. so we can support the increasing number of elderly in our population.

Then why did everyone vote remain in Scotland then?
Original post by Elivercury
You've clearly never visited Scotland, Edinburgh is chock full of English economic migrants seeking a better life.

Really? Don't understand why. I've never been to Scotland and don't want to really
Really? Don't understand why. I've never been to Scotland and don't want to really

Yes, really. You probably don't understand because you've never been. I think everyone involved would be satisfied if we keep that status quo.
Reply 18

Their main options would be to use the Euro or just keep using the pound, albeit without much control of it.
Original post by NewcastleFresher
could be wrong but I wouldve said Scotland was more racist?

I used to think that too, but the chav's of this generation has given me mixed views!

Quick Reply

Latest