The Student Room Group

Is the UK's future in peril?

I'm talking things like :
Mass immigration.
Deepening inequality(financial, educational, health etc).
Very real possibility of Scottish independence.
Very real possibility of a United Ireland also.
Threat to state healthcare of US corporations.
Ignorance/apathy/complacency/rightwards shift of the electorate.
Suffering the consequences of being outside the EU single market and customs union.

Are we headed for a future that is pretty depressing, or am I wrong?
(edited 1 month ago)
Yes all over the Western world too

Almost as if its ENGINEERED.. a conspiracy? abosolutely.. I know who would do such a thing, but what I cannot get my head around is why do our politicians allow it?
To be honest I have no hope for the country. I am a proud brit, and I am planning to serve in the armed forces. However as soon as I leave the forces, I will leave this country. Not only economic but with immigration and all the woke nonsense this country has no unification. It is a dystopian nightmare and a false democracy. The first past the post system means you can only choose between Conservatives and Labour, which in my eyes are basically the same thing under a different name. Both incompetant parties with other parties having extremely unlikely chance of making change. Point is this country is now a dystopian nanny state that stands for weakness, woke ideas and "multiculturalism". I would say there is no more hope. Read 1984 a few years back and never though i'd live to see the day.
we are definitely already in a depressing period, with an even more depressing future! tbh, I want to leave the UK as soon as I can, everything has just morphed into a downward spiral with barely any opportunities or anything positive on the horizon
Reply 4
Endangered. No. Big changes afoot? Certainly. War? Possibly. Those in power now no longer have living links to the horrors of the last world wars. I can see in some parts posturing for another war.
(edited 1 month ago)
Wasn't Brexit supposed to fix all of this...

Only it was never about that - it was always only about factions and culture wars inside the Tory party, that they have spent 14 years crucifying the people of this country for.
Reply 6
Western civilization was doomed after ww2

Now the "West" really refers not to a people, culture etc but a group of political, economic and military aligned people.. who are the enemies of Europeans imo
Reply 7
Original post by Rohain
Western civilization was doomed after ww2
Now the "West" really refers not to a people, culture etc but a group of political, economic and military aligned people.. who are the enemies of Europeans imo
Blimey - which stone do you live under to have come up with that?

"The West" is a term that refers to the US and her allies, primarily the UK, France, modern Germany, Spain, Australia etc. It also loosely fits around NATO which encompasses many of the those same countries.

And far from being doomed, western nations have prospered vastly and especially in the wake of WW2 compared to other countries around the world. Pick your measure - life expectancy, standards of living, labour saving devices in the home, opportunities to work and travel, you name it, people in the west have definitely had it better than anywhere else in the world. Given that "The West" encompasses most of Western Europe, I am not sure how "The West" is also against itself.

Please enlighten us!
Original post by hotpud
Blimey - which stone do you live under to have come up with that?
"The West" is a term that refers to the US and her allies, primarily the UK, France, modern Germany, Spain, Australia etc. It also loosely fits around NATO which encompasses many of the those same countries.
And far from being doomed, western nations have prospered vastly and especially in the wake of WW2 compared to other countries around the world. Pick your measure - life expectancy, standards of living, labour saving devices in the home, opportunities to work and travel, you name it, people in the west have definitely had it better than anywhere else in the world. Given that "The West" encompasses most of Western Europe, I am not sure how "The West" is also against itself.
Please enlighten us!
Yikes What was so difficult to understand?

Hes saying the west is committing self suicide, practically everything you said the west has prospered in will inevitably or is already on the decline standard of living is for sure going down and new technology being released does not make our lives easier and merely serve as distractions that sap our attention or technology that seeks to completely replace us from society.

So please do enlighten us on how we're heading towards prosperity.
Original post by erin11
we are definitely already in a depressing period, with an even more depressing future! tbh, I want to leave the UK as soon as I can, everything has just morphed into a downward spiral with barely any opportunities or anything positive on the horizon
Leave where? The problems in the UK can be found all over western europe
Original post by shimmyjimmyfor3
Leave where? The problems in the UK can be found all over western europe
Europe, and yes I do know that all countries have their own problems but the UK seems to be in a considerably worse position than most other countries
Original post by erin11
Europe, and yes I do know that all countries have their own problems but the UK seems to be in a considerably worse position than most other countries
Then why do people travel all through Europe to come to the UK?

I'm interested to hear one place in Europe that's better to be than Britain atm. Of the two major states, France is in the middle of major internal strife. Germany can't decide if it wants to carry the can for the whole of the EU in return for....what? Both countries have serious immigration problems. All of Southern Europe has been utterly destroyed economically by the Euro. Greece, Spain, Portugal and Cyprus don't have two Eurocents to rub together and can't do anything about it. Italy also has immigration problems and the economy is still in the same mess its been in for decades. The northern countries have relative prosperity but tiny populations and are learning first hand what freedom of movement really means. As for the Eastern countries - they have more pressing concerns than EU bureaucrats trying to micromanage them - like war with Russia.

Says it all that Michel Barnier, the darling of the Remainers - ran for the French Presidency on an anti-immigration ticket.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
I'm talking things like :
Mass immigration.
Deepening inequality(financial, educational, health etc).
Very real possibility of Scottish independence.
Very real possibility of a United Ireland also.
Threat to state healthcare of US corporations.
Ignorance/apathy/complacency/rightwards shift of the electorate.
Suffering the consequences of being outside the EU single market and customs union.

Are we headed for a future that is pretty depressing, or am I wrong?

Mass immigration- an issue that the UK doesn’t want to solve

Very real possibility of Scottish independence- if that’s what the people of Scotland want then be it I support it

Very real possibility of a United Ireland also- I’d support this as well.

Threat to state healthcare of US corporations- yeah I don’t trust the USA.

Ignorance/apathy/complacency/rightwards shift of the electorate- should stop voting for the Tories then if people are upset about this.

Suffering the consequences of being outside the EU single market and customs union - shouldn’t have voted for Brexit then (for those that did), should have listened to us remainers instead.
Reply 13
Yikes What was so difficult to understand?
Hes saying the west is committing self suicide, practically everything you said the west has prospered in will inevitably or is already on the decline standard of living is for sure going down and new technology being released does not make our lives easier and merely serve as distractions that sap our attention or technology that seeks to completely replace us from society.
So please do enlighten us on how we're heading towards prosperity.
How are we heading towards prosperity? We are already there! That is the point. When you look at the world, what we are seeing is what we used to call the third world and then developing world catching up and that makes it look like we are going backwards. We are not. Just everyone else is catching up. You should read Factfullness. It is very enlightening.

I would suggest that most of the problems we face in the UK are ultimately caused by sudden unplanned population growth and more specifically a shortage of housing. Both are easy to overcome if you have the will to do so. Our problem is that those who have houses are obsessed with their prices going up and we have a general dislike of building new homes. It is the perfect self-inflicted storm.
Original post by hotpud
How are we heading towards prosperity? We are already there! That is the point. When you look at the world, what we are seeing is what we used to call the third world and then developing world catching up and that makes it look like we are going backwards. We are not. Just everyone else is catching up. You should read Factfullness. It is very enlightening.
I would suggest that most of the problems we face in the UK are ultimately caused by sudden unplanned population growth and more specifically a shortage of housing. Both are easy to overcome if you have the will to do so. Our problem is that those who have houses are obsessed with their prices going up and we have a general dislike of building new homes. It is the perfect self-inflicted storm.
Reply 15
Except that isn't happening. At least - perhaps you could enlighten me. What are the signs in your view that the UK is going to end up as some sort of basket case?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending