The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

If multiculturalism has failed, it's because of the white British majority.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Good bloke
Of course! They were massacred out of existence! No wonder the current population isn't held back by ancient beliefs. That is why there are no Maoris, Australian aborigines and Canadian Indians around, isn't it? And our ancestors certainly never allied with some groups of natives to fight wars against other Europeans, did they?

Of course there was conflict but the truth is that, taking New Zealand's case as an example, just over 2,000 Maoris were killed in warfare, and the current Maori population is around 750,000, 15% of the total population, living amicably in mutual toleration, striving to develop a law-based society for mutual benefit, and not involved in inter-sect warfare and violent division.

Spent much time in NZ have you?

The Maoris are 15% of the population but make up 56.3% of the prison population.

Maori gangs in New Zealand are a major social problem with reports of violent brawls, murders and rapes sparking fear in local communities, since the 1960s. The three largest gangs are Black Power, the Mongrel Mob, and the Nomads - and they hate and frequently murder one another.

Child abuse. murder, drug addiction, alcoholism, and domestic violence is rife amongst Maoris; many times higher than in white communities. Frankly, they contribute next to nothing to NZ society.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Professional G
How would you reverse multiculturalism now? The people have already settled in the country. What are you gonna do?

Are you asking me how I would personally do it? Or are you using "you" in the subjunctive and simply asking me how it could technically be achieved? World of difference.
Original post by Jacque Inaboques
Are you asking me how I would personally do it? Or are you using "you" in the subjunctive and simply asking me how it could technically be achieved? World of difference.

How would you do it personally without breaking any human rights and keeping in line with the law?
I think you're right in the sense that people dislike the different, thus not wanting to spend time with people from different cultures. But for me, the main reason why these people are not accepted in society is because of themselves. Sometimes when immigrants move to a different country the situation they were in, was awful. They have a hard time trusting other people because of past experiences.
Depends what you mean by multiculturalism? Can multiple languages, cuisines, traditions etc. live alongside each other? Sure. Can different legal traditions, cultural views on the roles of men and women, homosexuals, etc live alongside each other? Not at all
I hate the whole multiculturalism failed meme. Multiculturalism didn’t fail, multiculturalism was failed, in the numerous ways that POC were marginalised by government and society.
Original post by limetang
Depends what you mean by multiculturalism? Can multiple languages, cuisines, traditions etc. live alongside each other? Sure. Can different legal traditions, cultural views on the roles of men and women, homosexuals, etc live alongside each other? Not at all

Ofcourse you can. Even when the England was culturally monolithic legalisation of homosexuality and woman’s rights to vote were polarising subjects and everyone still “lived along each other”.
Its not up to the British to start learning the cultures of every third world migrant who comes to live in THEIR country. If I move to Nigeria is it the natives responsibility to pick up a civics book on American history? Alot of the countries these immigrants come from practice female genital mutilation. Sudan has an active slave trade of south Sudanese. The Arabworld at large places oppressive restrictions on women. Should European countries set aside western values on individual rights to appease certain cultural practices that are completely alien to the values we in the western world hold dear. Multiculturalism does nothing but cause social tension and alienation, societal separation, angst and suspicion among native populations. If you are moving to a different country (not to mention taking advantage of their generous welfare system) the onus is on you to properly assimilate if you wish to become an integrated member of society. Not retreating to your indigenous fiefdom further balkanizing the country you are living in. The fact is many of the immigrants have no desire to adopt British culture or social norms. Call me a racist but if you move to a liberal democracy and call for Sharia law you need to get the **** out and go back to your third world shithole. No one asked you to come here. You contribute nothing to your host country that generously took you in. If anything you are actively contributing to its eventual downfall. I have nothing against immigration. I have everything against the fallacy of multiculturalism. It doesn't work. Worse it's counterproductive even destructive. You sound very much like a white, entitled leftist college student who bases their worldview on the ******** fed to them by a uber left globalist professor. Hopefully you have gotten out into the real world by now and adopted a more realistic worldview that isn't tainted by political correctness and utopia fantasies.
Original post by Akamega
It struck me the other the day that the failure of multiculturalism - which, I see as the acceptance of different cultures, not just tolerating them - was/has been thoroughly rejected by the indigenous white majority from the very beginning. When I hear white Britons talk about their ideal view of multiculturalism, it often isn't multiculturalism, in fact, its assimilation. The reason I say this is for two reasons:1) The white indigenous majority often cite migrants not learning English and accepting traditionally British values as their main reason for disliking multiculturalism. But they expect migrants to come here and immediately take steps to learn English and expect them to speak English in public. Many white indigenous British people that I've spoken to lack any empathy when it comes to migrants. They don't consider that perhaps, expecting them to work and at the same time pick up English without their being enough support (Germany has training centres for immigrants where they teach them German), is akin to dropping someone in the middle of the English channel and expecting them to swim to shore. In reality, they'll just float; they'll find communities where they can exist peacefully and not make any progress. 2) Indigenous white British people also assume that multiculturalism is a one-way street. They want migrants to learn English but the vast majority of indigenous British people are monoglots. There is the assumption that they must learn everything from us, but us nothing from them. To put it simply we reek of arrogance. That does not mean we must accept arcane practices from their regions (I concede, many of cultures have values I'd never accept), but perhaps we should try to embrace the bits of their culture that are enriching. Learn about their history, culture and their lives before Britain, especially if they come from Commonwealth countries (that essentially propped our economy up for centuries). In my view, there is this undeniable attitude in the UK that we give these people more than they give us, but in reality, our NHS and in fact, our workforce would collapse without them. Title is provocative, but from my experiences it's genuinely the truth. What do you guys think?
You should really read what you wrote 100 times and use your brain to understand that what you wrote is ignorant.Let me explain to you what an immigrant is. An immigrant is someone who travels in a different country. It's so funny how white british people think it's alright for them to travel to a different country and they shouldn't abandon their culture but others should when the come to britain. Please make it make sense. You shouldn't tell someone to abandon their culture and especially saying they need to be able to speak english. It's like saying

Latest

Trending

Trending