The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

23/11/16

Good news or bad news first? I'll start with the bad because then things can gradually get better :colone:
On Monday, we had our Electric Fields assessment in physics and well, this image perfectly sums up how it went!!

Reading the first question on a test.jpg
I'm definitely going to get another U :frown:. Now I'm scared that I'm going to be kicked off the course if things keep carrying on this way... The test was on electric fields but there were questions about freaking alpha scattering and distance of closest approach in there!! I haven't even learnt about that stuff yet :frown:. There aren't even any support sessions available for physics at my sixth form. Sometimes I feel like I'll be better off just teaching it myself and sitting the exams as an external candidate! At least I wouldn't have to keep doing unrepresentative assessments that just demotivate me and make me feel completely stupid.
I spent nearly the entire weekend doing the practice questions out of both of my textbooks (including exam-style ones) and got most of the answers correct, so I know my ability isn't indicative of a U grade. Ugghhhhhh.

On a brighter note, I finally submitted my UCAS application on Monday and today I received two offers! The first offer was from East Anglia who want ABB and the second offer was from Nottingham Trent who want 120 UCAS points OR if I firm them, my offer is unconditional!!

Also, this evening I have revised:
- Longitudinal and Transverse waves (AS Waves)
Fairly simple stuff, one of the few things I actually understood in the Waves topic last year! This also includes polarisation of light and why the rods on TV aerials have to be aligned in the same plane as the transmitted radio waves.
Thoughts: :biggrin:
- Superposition and Coherence (AS Waves)
Two types of interference: constructive (waves are in phase with each other) and destructive (the waves are out of phase). For two sources to be coherent, they have to have the same wavelength & frequency and have a fixed phase difference between them.

Now I'm going to make notes on:
- Measuring Nuclear Radius (A2 Nuclear)
Going over this has made me feel much better about physics now... if I'd covered this topic before the electric fields assessment, I would have been able to answer more of the questions!! Main things learnt:

To find the charge of a nucleus, you multiply its proton number, Z, by the charge of a proton, e.

Electron diffraction is a more accurate method for measuring nuclear radius than alpha particle scattering because electrons are leptons, which do not interact with the strong nuclear force (whereas alpha particles do).

- Nuclear Radius and Density (A2 Nuclear)
Again, quite easy to get my head around. The density of nuclear matter is constant, since the volume is constant (and this is because nuclear radius is directly proportional to the cube root of the nucleon number).
Something interesting I found out is that comparing the size of an atom to the size of its nucleus is like comparing a Ferris wheel to the size of a grain of rice! *Shocked*
(edited 7 years ago)
Interesting thread. Hope you do not mind some input from an online Physics tutor who teach AS and A2 levels. I was going through all the notes and stuff and was wondering whether you are aware of how you loose marks. Any number of such notes are only an extension of what the books are giving. What exactly needs to be practiced are the questions where you need to explain a concept. Many of my students can solve numerical examples, are good at answering MCQs but when it comes to answer concept based questions they are at a loss to answer logically . They try to assemble all information but to present it in a systematic way is an art which you need to practice. Happy studying Physics.
Original post by sengupta
Interesting thread. Hope you do not mind some input from an online Physics tutor who teach AS and A2 levels. I was going through all the notes and stuff and was wondering whether you are aware of how you loose marks. Any number of such notes are only an extension of what the books are giving. What exactly needs to be practiced are the questions where you need to explain a concept. Many of my students can solve numerical examples, are good at answering MCQs but when it comes to answer concept based questions they are at a loss to answer logically . They try to assemble all information but to present it in a systematic way is an art which you need to practice. Happy studying Physics.

Hi, thank you for your input :smile: I have noticed that most of the marks I lose are from not understanding the question properly and therefore not being able to apply my knowledge. But as you said, practicing these questions is the best way to become good at them! Once I have finished making notes (since this helps me to understand the concepts), I'll be answering as many questions as I can from textbooks, past papers from different exam boards and various websites etc, so hopefully this will be beneficial :smile:
I've just started year 12, currently doing the three sciences and maths, and I feel like an idiot every time I walk out of the physics classroom.I got a D in the last class test, and I am actually hopeless about it. I revise, but can't seem to understand the content, therefore when I start answering the questions I stare at the paper wondering what to do and end up flopping. I even got a private tutor, but nothing seems to work. Is it ever going to get better, or should I just drop it and take another subject?
You sound just like me last year. I'm currently in year 13 doing physics. I intially considered dropping it in year 12 because i ended up getting an E grade. If you sit down and get your head around it, it starts making sense. Do lots of practice questions to get into the flow. Hated mechanics so much but after doing mechanics in maths it sort of alright now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
@jessyjellytot14 I'm legit on the same boat as you! I got a C last year and want to boost it to an A. My exam progress so far:
Gravitational and Electric fields: U (resat and got a C :/),
Circular motion and simple harmonic motion: E (worst thing was my teacher said that my paper was full of silly mistakes!! -_- so I would've gotten a B instead)
Magnetic fields: A
Capacitance: E (idek how its my fave topic but I managed to flunk it :/)

I'm also predicted an A for A2
Hey!
Join my study group
https://discord.gg/DDKdcja

Though I'm not a science student, many others do science at A level too! join for help, tips etc!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AuroraU
I've just started year 12, currently doing the three sciences and maths, and I feel like an idiot every time I walk out of the physics classroom.I got a D in the last class test, and I am actually hopeless about it. I revise, but can't seem to understand the content, therefore when I start answering the questions I stare at the paper wondering what to do and end up flopping. I even got a private tutor, but nothing seems to work. Is it ever going to get better, or should I just drop it and take another subject?

Hey, I'm still trying to figure out the best way to revise physics so I'm probably not the best person to ask, but I do know that the process of understanding the content is different for each person. For example, some people can just read the textbook, make a few notes and then understand everything straight away. Others have to read the textbook, make detailed notes, make tonnes of flashcards, watch videos, make mindmaps etc for anything to even make sense. Physics is a difficult subject, so don't be disheartened if you're not excelling in it yet. Ultimately, the only grade that really matters is the one that you get in your final exams. Don't give up on it, keep exploring different ways to understand the content, no matter how weird they may be! However, if you're starting to find that you're not enjoying physics or finding it interesting, then I recommend you drop it or you're going to have a looong year and a half ahead of you! It might be too late in the year to do this though.

Original post by Fury108
You sound just like me last year. I'm currently in year 13 doing physics. I intially considered dropping it in year 12 because i ended up getting an E grade. If you sit down and get your head around it, it starts making sense. Do lots of practice questions to get into the flow. Hated mechanics so much but after doing mechanics in maths it sort of alright now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where do you get the practice questions from? I currently do the ones in my textbooks, revision guide and sometimes the ones on Physicsandmathstutor as well as the old spec ones which my teachers make me do for homework. I still do terribly in tests though :\
And I HATE mechanics as well! It's soooo easy to make mistakes.

Original post by titfortat
@jessyjellytot14 I'm legit on the same boat as you! I got a C last year and want to boost it to an A. My exam progress so far:
Gravitational and Electric fields: U (resat and got a C :/),
Circular motion and simple harmonic motion: E (worst thing was my teacher said that my paper was full of silly mistakes!! -_- so I would've gotten a B instead)
Magnetic fields: A
Capacitance: E (idek how its my fave topic but I managed to flunk it :/)

I'm also predicted an A for A2

Hey, it's nice to know that someone else is in a similar situation! It's not a nice situation to be in, but it's also good to not be in it alone :smile:
All of my assessment grades so far this year have been Us- which is knocking my confidence quite a lot. But then again, confidence is my biggest issue when it comes to physics... I assume I'm wrong so I don't answer the questions and/or I make silly mistakes. I need to get over my fear of mistakes haha.
Congrats on the A in the Magnetic Fields test though! And how did you find capacitance (as a general topic)? Would you say that it is harder than Gravitational & Electric Fields? I'm going to be starting it next week!
Original post by jessyjellytot14

Hey, it's nice to know that someone else is in a similar situation! It's not a nice situation to be in, but it's also good to not be in it alone :smile:
All of my assessment grades so far this year have been Us- which is knocking my confidence quite a lot. But then again, confidence is my biggest issue when it comes to physics... I assume I'm wrong so I don't answer the questions and/or I make silly mistakes. I need to get over my fear of mistakes haha.
Congrats on the A in the Magnetic Fields test though! And how did you find capacitance (as a general topic)? Would you say that it is harder than Gravitational & Electric Fields? I'm going to be starting it next week!

I know exactly what you mean! The worst thing is that what my teacher does is when he looks at my paper as I give it to him, he gives me this look to let me know how I've badly I've done which really knocks my confidence down. He's not even a great teacher anyway -_-
With me, what I've found is that I know my content - its just my exam skill and how to answer qs that just seems to be it. Capacitance is good! It's pretty straight forward although the hardest bit is the subchapter on dielectrics as there are no previous exam qs for it (thats one of the new things on the spec). Like I said, I know my content just not how to answer qs.
Thanks!
Well I'm doing AQA as well so if you are posting qs and shiz that you need help on or in general or if you're uploading one of your daily posts then do tag me :smile:
I know exactly what you mean! The worst thing is that what my teacher does is when he looks at my paper as I give it to him, he gives me this look to let me know how I've badly I've done which really knocks my confidence down. He's not even a great teacher anyway -_-
With me, what I've found is that I know my content - its just my exam skill and how to answer qs that just seems to be it. Capacitance is good! It's pretty straight forward although the hardest bit is the subchapter on dielectrics as there are no previous exam qs for it (thats one of the new things on the spec). Like I said, I know my content just not how to answer qs.
Thanks!
Well I'm doing AQA as well so if you are posting qs and shiz that you need help on or in general or if you're uploading one of your daily posts then do tag me :smile:

My teacher does a similar thing! I seriously need to stop getting Us all of the time.
I oooo I look forward to doing capacitance then! Hopefully I'll be able to at least pass that assessment haha.
And thanks, I'll be sure to tag you in my future daily posts and whenever I'm stuck on a question! :smile:
29/11/16

Yesterday I got back my Electric Fields assessment and I got a U as I was expecting. At this stage, I know it is my exam technique that is the problem, and not my understanding. I just don't think about what the questions are actually asking and I assume that I'll be wrong anyway, so I leave most questions blank which is really really really bad!
I'm not going to let this set-back put me off my goal though. I have my physics mock exam in a couple of weeks and I'm aiming to get a B at least. I would explain my plan of action here but I recently read a quote which went along the lines of "Don't tell people about your plans, show them your results", so this is what I'm going to do.
As I did in my previous post, I'll be listing every revision activity I've done throughout the day, which will be a summary of what I've learnt and an emoji to express how confident I now feel in that topic. So, today I have revised:

- Background Radiation & Intensity (A2 Nuclear)
Even though Nuclear physics won't be in the mock exam, I still want to keep up to date with what we are currently doing in class. I made notes on this using my CGP textbook. This covered the main sources of background radiation (the ones I can remember are rocks, buildings, cosmic rays, living things and industrial and medical equipment). It also covered the 12th required practical, which we haven't done yet, where you investigate the inverse square law between the intensity of radiation and the distance from the source.
Overall thoughts: :smile:

- Momentum and Impulse (M1 Maths)
I did some practice exam questions on this topic as I have to resit the forces test on Thursday. Something really useful I've started doing when doing exam questions is setting a timer for each question depending on how many marks it is worth. For example, if a question is worth 7 marks, I'll set a timer for 8 minutes so that I'll have time to read the question and draw a diagram. This prevents me from wasting time and will hopefully encourage me to solve maths problems quicker! Out of all of the questions I attempted, I got 25/27 marks.
Overall thoughts: :biggrin:

- Nuclear Decay (A2 Nuclear)
Again, I made some nice detailed notes using my CGP textbook. Some people think making notes is a waste of time, but I find that writing things down helps me to understand what's going on better! This mainly covered the four 'decay modes' : Alpha decay, beta-minus decay, beta-plus decay and gamma decay. Now I finally understand the difference between each type of decay and why they occur! I still need to finish writing about the energy level diagrams (eww) though...

- Simple Harmonic Motion (A2 Further Mechanics)
I answered the "apply it" questions from my CGP textbook. This actually went fairly well. I just need to do more questions so I can get used to using all of the equations.

- Stationary Waves (AS Waves)
This is quite an easy topic in my opinion and I remember quite a lot still from last year, so I'm just going to read over the spread in the revision guide to jog my memory.
Overall thoughts: TBA

Tagged people: (Let me know if you'd like to be tagged in future posts!)

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
I got the aqa AS physics paper June 2016 ,anyone interested for the paper and for paper and mark scheme
01/09/16

Yesterday I made some notes on Gravitational Fields and today I answered the exam questions on it.
I find using equations in physics quite confusing because I usually either:
(a) Get the symbols mixed up
(b) Forget to covert quantities into the right measurements (E.g. Km to m).
(c) Use the wrong equation.
(d) All of the above.

It is especially confusing when a letter can equal two different things. For example, in the gravitational fields topic, 'r' can either be the distance between two masses or the radius of a point mass. I guess its not so bad if I know which equation to use.

Here are the notes I made:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1472749578.209040.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well bloody hell mate! I could never do notes as neat as these! xD
You were doing Physics in your Summer Holidays!?? That's dedication! I was enjoying some beach Lol... I am currently majorly regretting it now lool!
Original post by Coolwheel123456
I got the aqa AS physics paper June 2016 ,anyone interested for the paper and for paper and mark scheme

Hey man, do you mind messaging me the paper and mark scheme? I've been looking everywhere!
Original post by Someboady
Well bloody hell mate! I could never do notes as neat as these! xD
You were doing Physics in your Summer Holidays!?? That's dedication! I was enjoying some beach Lol... I am currently majorly regretting it now lool!

Thanks! :h:
And yeah, I missed most of the A2 lessons at the end of year 12 so I decided to catch up on what I missed over the summer.
But don't worry, you're not as terrible at physics as I am (in fact, you're not terrible at all!) so you don't need to be doing as much revision as me for now haha
01/12/16

Merry Christmas! (aka woohoo- it's the first day of December!). Today has been relatively productive...

- Nuclear Radius & Density (A2 Nuclear)
We went over this today in class and I already had my pre-written notes so I understood what was going on. Reading ahead is something that I'm starting to find very useful in physics! I find it confusing how my teachers go over things in a different order to the textbook though!

- Forces (M1 Maths)
In class, we answered more questions on force diagrams, working out the coefficient of friction and shiz like that. I think my teacher hates me because I "forgot" to do the homework and then he was like "Are you going to forget to revise for next week's test as well?" #SAVAGEEEE. Tbf I'm just really busy all of the time and M1 is not my priority at the moment! I'm going to try and get an A in next week's test though just because I feel as though I need to redeem myself. He forgot about me having to resit last week's test though which was nice.
Overall thoughts: :s-smilie: because I'm worried that I won't have time to revise for next week's test and my teacher will high-key hate me.

- Electric Fields (A2 Fields)
My teacher gave me another copy of the Electric Fields assessment to do at home and I did it this afternoon with minimum help from my notes or the internet! I think I've got around 65% which is an improvement from last time. It really annoys me how sixth form uses general grade boundaries for physics even though the actual grade boundaries are significantly lower! I'm sorry but 65% in last year's exams was not a C!
Overall thoughts: :smile: (I won't be :biggrin: until I'm getting 80%+ because that is more or less a guaranteed A!)

I answered some question on SHM from my CGP textbook. At first, I got confused on the questions that go along the line of "If a pendulum takes 4.5 seconds to complete exactly 5 oscillations, how far will it be from its equilibrium position after 10 seconds" but then I remembered that you can use the frequency to work out the angular frequency (2πf) and then sub this into the correct equation. Currently, I am trying to solve a tricky question which involves water undergoing simple harmonic motion in a U-shaped tube...casual! Everyone has a U-shaped tube in one of their kitchen cupboards!

Side-note: I've just received an offer from Loughborough for AAB!
01/12/16

Merry Christmas! (aka woohoo- it's the first day of December!). Today has been relatively productive...

- Nuclear Radius & Density (A2 Nuclear)
We went over this today in class and I already had my pre-written notes so I understood what was going on. Reading ahead is something that I'm starting to find very useful in physics! I find it confusing how my teachers go over things in a different order to the textbook though!

- Forces (M1 Maths)
In class, we answered more questions on force diagrams, working out the coefficient of friction and shiz like that. I think my teacher hates me because I "forgot" to do the homework and then he was like "Are you going to forget to revise for next week's test as well?" #SAVAGEEEE. Tbf I'm just really busy all of the time and M1 is not my priority at the moment! I'm going to try and get an A in next week's test though just because I feel as though I need to redeem myself. He forgot about me having to resit last week's test though which was nice.
Overall thoughts: :s-smilie: because I'm worried that I won't have time to revise for next week's test and my teacher will high-key hate me.

- Electric Fields (A2 Fields)
My teacher gave me another copy of the Electric Fields assessment to do at home and I did it this afternoon with minimum help from my notes or the internet! I think I've got around 65% which is an improvement from last time. It really annoys me how sixth form uses general grade boundaries for physics even though the actual grade boundaries are significantly lower! I'm sorry but 65% in last year's exams was not a C!
Overall thoughts: :smile: (I won't be :biggrin: until I'm getting 80%+ because that is more or less a guaranteed A!)

I answered some question on SHM from my CGP textbook. At first, I got confused on the questions that go along the line of "If a pendulum takes 4.5 seconds to complete exactly 5 oscillations, how far will it be from its equilibrium position after 10 seconds" but then I remembered that you can use the frequency to work out the angular frequency (2πf) and then sub this into the correct equation. Currently, I am trying to solve a tricky question which involves water undergoing simple harmonic motion in a U-shaped tube...casual! Everyone has a U-shaped tube in one of their kitchen cupboards!

Side-note: I've just received an offer from Loughborough for AAB!

Omg congrats on your offer!!
Omg congrats on your offer!!

Thank you! :biggrin:
Original post by Coolwheel123456

Yes please I'd really appreciate it

Latest