The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jessyjellytot14
Side-note: I've just received an offer from Loughborough for AAB!

I'm a bit late but congrats on the offer!! :smile:
Original post by DarkEnergy
I'm a bit late but congrats on the offer!! :smile:

Thankyou!!
12/12/16

I haven't posted for a while but I've finished making notes on Waves, most of Particles and now I just need to do the Quantum Phenomena chapter until I finish my AS notes! And then I can start doing questions! I was going to make Particles and Quantum Phenomena notes this evening but due to unforeseen circumstances (aka being told that Magnetic Fields and A2 Nuclear might also be on the mock exam this Friday), I have had to avert my time to trying to get my head around magnetic fields instead.
Low key feeling quite stressed/annoyed because we aren't being told specifically which topics will be on the mock exam- so I don't know what to focus my attention on.
Also, I'm annoyed that study leave hasn't already started... I am WAY more productive when I'm at home than when I have to go to lessons.

I'm going to write some more notes on Magnetic Fields now before making a new revision timetable thanks to some extra physics topics being added to my agenda :smile:
13/12/16

- Further Mechanics (A2)
At the end of each chapter in the CGP textbook, there are a couple of pages of exam-style questions, and I did these this morning for Further Mechanics. I ended up getting 18/29 of the marks which is 62%. This isn't great, but it's also not appalling. On the plus side, I now know that I really need to revise damping and resonance!
Overall thoughts: :s-smilie: (Because there are still quite a few gaps in my knowledge for this topic).

- Gravitational and Electric Fields (A2)
Again, I answered the exam-style questions at the end of this chapter from my CGP textbook and I thought I'd done really well until I marked them. Mistakes I made include:

Using the wrong charge when working out the electric potential difference for an alpha particle in moving from it's starting position to when it stops a short distance from a gold nucleus. For some reason, you have to use the charge of the gold nucleus instead of the charge of the alpha particle??

Not knowing that the work done in bringing the alpha particle to a stop equals the loss in kinetic energy. I equated the kinetic energy to the electric potential difference instead..

Getting the 'm' prefix mixed up with the 'M' prefix. Grrr.

Not remembering the definition for a force field. I now know that it is a region in which a body experiences a non-contact force.

After all of this, I ended up getting 24/37 of the marks which is 65%. Again, not great, but I've learnt from the mistakes I made in doing these questions!
Overall thoughts: :redface: (Because I understand the topic better now even though I make so many silly mistakes in the calculations)

So that is it for today's physics revision! My CGP AS Physics textbook arrived in the post today which I'm really excited to start using soon to do practice questions.
15/12/16

- Further Mechanics (A2)
I forgot to post yesterday but I made some detailed notes on 'Free and Forced Vibrations' which actually make sense unlike my last ones! This is quite a juicy and wordy topic so I've also made some flashcards on things such as examples of where resonance can occur, what is meant by damping forces etc.
Overall thoughts: :smile:

- Confused.com
Study leave for our mock exams has started today and I have my physics mock tomorrow but I don't know what to do today! I'm doing some questions from the Specimen papers this afternoon but besides that, I'm not sure what to do. This is mainly because we haven't really been told which topics will be on the mock! Each teacher is saying different things. I know that Further Mechanics and Gravitational & Electric Fields will definitely be on the mock, so I'll probably just focus on those topics today.
I'll update this post later with what I have done!

Evening Update:
I really haven't done much today at all BUT I've realised that today is the first day in WEEKS that I haven't had to leave the house to go to sixth form or work so maybe that has something to do with why I've felt so lazy?
Anyway, I did do the questions related to Gravitational & Electric Fields from the specimen papers in the afternoon and I ended up getting 22/35 of the marks which is alright I guess. To be fair, I'll be happy if I get 60% or above in the mock exam tomorrow because it's not exactly a concerning percentage to be getting (not for me at least anyway lol).
(edited 7 years ago)
16/12/16

This afternoon, I had my Physics mock exam. How did it go? Let's just say that right now, I am looking through pdfs for past grade boundaries and calculating the percentage you need to get an E.
Just over a week ago, I emailed one of my teachers asking which topics will be on the mock and she replied saying "Further Mechanics, Gravitational & Electric Fields, data analysis and some stuff from AS". So this is what I revised.
The majority of the mock exam was about data analysis (which I sort of understood) and A2 Nuclear - which I haven't even revised or learnt properly because I've been focusing on the other topics!!! I'm soooooo annoyed right now.
There were even questions from topics that we haven't even been taught yet! Clearly whichever teacher made this paper did not put much thought into it.
I bet they won't even bother to make a normal distribution of our results to make sure that the grade boundaries reflect the difficulty of the paper either.
03/01/17

Happy New Year!!! The physics genius is back! (sarcasm).

Even though I haven't posted in ages, I have been doing a fair bit of physics. Par exemple:

I have now almost finished making notes on the AS topics. I just need to go over wave-particle duality from the Quantum topic.

I have started answering questions on each sub-topic from both of my textbooks (Doing AS Electricity at the moment).

I have made some better notes on Magnetic Fields because the ones I made in class a few weeks ago make no sense.

Today I've nearly completed the Magnetic Fields homework booklet that my teacher gave us as a Christmas present. I just have two questions left- one which I don't understand and one which I need to draw a graph for but I can't be bothered to look for a pencil.

I don't go back to sixth form until next week so before then, I'll be going over the Nuclear topic which I haven't even learnt properly for various reasons (and is also probably the reason that I've failed my mock exam :smile:). In addition, I'm going to read ahead and make notes for Magnetic Fields so that I will actually understand what is going on in class when I go back.

I will try my best to post here every day from now on anyway so that I can be held accountable for the amount of revision I do.
One of my new year's resolutions is to not get any more s*** grades in physics assessments! And the main one is to get an A in the actual exams. Let's do thiiisss.

The fact that you.jpg
Original post by jessyjellytot14
03/01/17

Happy New Year!!! The physics genius is back! (sarcasm).

Even though I haven't posted in ages, I have been doing a fair bit of physics. Par exemple:

I have now almost finished making notes on the AS topics. I just need to go over wave-particle duality from the Quantum topic.

I have started answering questions on each sub-topic from both of my textbooks (Doing AS Electricity at the moment).

I have made some better notes on Magnetic Fields because the ones I made in class a few weeks ago make no sense.

Today I've nearly completed the Magnetic Fields homework booklet that my teacher gave us as a Christmas present. I just have two questions left- one which I don't understand and one which I need to draw a graph for but I can't be bothered to look for a pencil.

I don't go back to sixth form until next week so before then, I'll be going over the Nuclear topic which I haven't even learnt properly for various reasons (and is also probably the reason that I've failed my mock exam :smile:). In addition, I'm going to read ahead and make notes for Magnetic Fields so that I will actually understand what is going on in class when I go back.

I will try my best to post here every day from now on anyway so that I can be held accountable for the amount of revision I do.
One of my new year's resolutions is to not get any more s*** grades in physics assessments! And the main one is to get an A in the actual exams. Let's do thiiisss.

The fact that you.jpg

:yy: keep going:h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
05/01/17

- Magnetic Fields
I completed the rest of the homework booklet about magnetic flux density and magnetic forces. At least if the teachers want to kick me off the course, they can't say that I never do my homework! :smile:. Hopefully it won't come to that though.

- Quantum Phenomena
Made notes on wave-particle duality which means that I have now finished making all of my AS notes (apart from data analysis)!! Until the end of March, I will be answering as many textbook questions as possible, aiming to cover all of the topics. If there's anything I get stuck on whilst doing that, I'll make flashcards on it.

Here are some notes that I made on hadrons a couple of weeks ago.
Attachment not found
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone know any good websites with old spec past papers other than from aqa site?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fury108
Anyone know any good websites with old spec past papers other than from aqa site?

Posted from TSR Mobile

physics and maths tutor, cyberphysics and physbot :smile:
This was pretty interesting to read. Why haven't you been posting??
Hi there! I feel so motivated after reading your blog.

I did double award science during GCSEs, though I got A*A for it, there're lots of concept which I didn't learn, are necessary for A-level physics. I moved school for sixth form, and everyone in my class did GCSE triple awards.. I feel SO struggling for physics right now, and it always seems like I'm the only one in the class who doesn't understand...

Are there any suggestions in terms of catching up and make up my gaps from gcse to a-level Physics?
Thank you so much! :smile:
Original post by book-obsessed
Hey! We're in almost exactly the same situation because I got a D at AS physics too. I was completely devastated by my grade because I really want to study physics at University and I had been working at a B grade all year so it did come as a big shock. Like you I've been revising topics ahead of time; I'm currently focusing on circular motion and just starting particle physics 😊
Wishing you the best of luck with your revision and hopefully at the end of the year we get the grades we want/deserve ahaha 👍

Hi! The same thing has happened to me. I was wondering how you did in your A-levels and if there is any hope for me.

Latest