The Student Room Group

Newbie Coders Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 571122
Obviously I was talking about those trolls that were trolling you eh.

i know i may have troll like obsessive tendencies, but there you go!?
Hi everyone, im considering getting a new portable device for coding / emulators (essentially want something which can run virtualbox with sierra & xcode, as well as being able to cope with visual studio, xamarin, eclipse and android studio without grinding to a halt / taking forever to load) that is touchscreen enabled and has stylus support.

I really want to get a surface book with performance base but they are currently out of price range & no confirmed release date in the UK (that and I am waiting for them to ship with ddr4 and cannonlake processors rather than skylake - kaby lake is just optimised skylake apparently). i was thinking about a surface pro 4 with an i5 and 8gb ram (deal on microsoft website for ~£969 but hate integrated graphics vs dgpus) but would like to know what is a good option for a portable device
Ahhh, I love Powershell. The simplicity, the power!

Here is a Powershell script (remote_drives.ps1) that will query the free space left on remote disk drives without having to use remote desktop software to log in and check!

$freespace = @{Expression={[math]::truncate($_.freespace / 1GB)};Label="free space"}
$size = @{Expression={[math]::truncate($_.size / 1GB)};Label="size"}

Get-WmiObject -Class win32_logicalDisk -ComputerName 192.168.1.120 | Select-Object pscomputername, deviceid, $freespace, $size

Courtesy of Stackoverflow.
Sorry for falling off of the map :creep:
What happened was that I didn't manage the 200 hours of self-teaching that was a prerequisite to apply for the particular bootcamp I want to get into (it's a very competitive free one in London). This means I've given up on making a November application, and will have to wait a few months for their next programme instead. My PhD deadline is 31st of December, so I've basically dropped the daily coding practice entirely in order to work my ass off, like I have to :work: I'm sure I'll be unemployed for awhile after handing in, so I'll get back to the coding then! I'm roughly halfway through a basic Javascript course at the moment. The wheels haven't come off yet, so I'm still positive :smile:
Original post by Craghyrax
What happened was that I didn't manage the 200 hours of self-teaching that was a prerequisite to apply for the particular bootcamp I want to get into (it's a very competitive free one in London). This means I've given up on making a November application, and will have to wait a few months for their next programme instead. My PhD deadline is 31st of December, so I've basically dropped the daily coding practice entirely in order to work my ass off, like I have to :work: I'm sure I'll be unemployed for awhile after handing in, so I'll get back to the coding then! I'm roughly halfway through a basic Javascript course at the moment. The wheels haven't come off yet, so I'm still positive :smile:

Best of luck Craggy :hugs:
Original post by iEthan
Best of luck Craggy :hugs:

Lol you're like a hawk :lol:
Thanks... I'll need it!
I'm busy writing my 'findings' chapters, so I'm actually going to be slightly more active on TSR overall than I normally would be. I've blocked my FB account till January though.
Lol you're like a hawk :lol:
Thanks... I'll need it!
I'm busy writing my 'findings' chapters, so I'm actually going to be slightly more active on TSR overall than I normally would be. I've blocked my FB account till January though.

Blame it on me looking after Chat :ninja: gotta be like this: :kungfu:

I have confidence you will be OK - make sure you get rest in to your schedule too! :tongue: That's probably a good idea, I use mine way too much as a procrastination tool… :colondollar:
Original post by iEthan
Blame it on me looking after Chat :ninja: gotta be like this: :kungfu:

I have confidence you will be OK - make sure you get rest in to your schedule too! :tongue: That's probably a good idea, I use mine way too much as a procrastination tool… :colondollar:

We all do :smile: Some procrastination is necessary. As long as you know when and how to draw a line. For me, that time is now :smile:
Yeh Chat is not for the complacent mod.
Also I feel very old given that Kung Fu Panda wasn't an emoticon back in my day... :shakecane:

Most excellent plan. Well done.
Reply 389
Yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Original post by 571122
Most excellent plan. Well done.

Hahahah more like the only plan, but thanks :teehee:
Reply 391
Original post by quasa
Hi everyone, im considering getting a new portable device for coding / emulators (essentially want something which can run virtualbox with sierra & xcode, as well as being able to cope with visual studio, xamarin, eclipse and android studio without grinding to a halt / taking forever to load) that is touchscreen enabled and has stylus support.

I really want to get a surface book with performance base but they are currently out of price range & no confirmed release date in the UK (that and I am waiting for them to ship with ddr4 and cannonlake processors rather than skylake - kaby lake is just optimised skylake apparently). i was thinking about a surface pro 4 with an i5 and 8gb ram (deal on microsoft website for ~£969 but hate integrated graphics vs dgpus) but would like to know what is a good option for a portable device

It sounds like you want everything but aren't willing to pay for it. macOS is awful inside Virtualbox and if you want to use Xcode at all seriously your only option is to buy a Mac.

If not, the Surface Pro 4 is a brilliant machine and I've heard good things about the Lenovo Yoga 900. Why don't you want integrated graphics: are you looking for a serious gaming machine as well?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending