The Student Room Group

Nhs trainee clinical coder test and interview

Hello!
I have an interview in the NHS coming up for Trainee Clinical Coder. It says that there will be a short written test before the interview and that prior knowledge of clinical coding is not required for the test. I have been given a start time of 9am for the interview and finish time of 10.15.
Has anyone had this test before and I am worried that if it includes a maths test I will fail the test as I am terrible at maths!
If I fail the test do you think that they won't interview me?
Thanks
Jude
X

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Jude1812
Hello!
I have an interview in the NHS coming up for Trainee Clinical Coder. It says that there will be a short written test before the interview and that prior knowledge of clinical coding is not required for the test. I have been given a start time of 9am for the interview and finish time of 10.15.
Has anyone had this test before and I am worried that if it includes a maths test I will fail the test as I am terrible at maths!
If I fail the test do you think that they won't interview me?
Thanks
Jude
X

There's a really good thread with information here.
Reply 2
Thank you so much for the information!I had my interview today and a test beforehand.There was no maths thank goodness, but I was given a list of conditions to code and had to use a ICDS10 Standard book to code these with, seemed straightforward but some codes seemed a bit contradictory so we shall see.I then had to work through a set of case notes and pick out all the relevant information that I though would be important to a coder, that was much harder as the notes were hand written medical notes, scrappy disjointed etc!Then I was given a blank diagram of the human body with organs and name the ones with the arrow pointed towards them, again, not too bad, some I guessed at but the quality of the diagram wasn't that great, really squashed so that you couldn't always see where to look, I missed one out that I couldn't work out so probably a bad mark for that!!The interview was ok, was quite nervous and I think that was obvious, could have kicked myself afterwards when I thought of so many better answers, but hindsight is a wonderful thing!!Hopefully, I should find out tomorrow if I got the post, 13 being interviewed for two positions!
Did you get the job in the end?
Hi all,I would like to introduce myself as Aruna, am currently working as a medical secretary/receptionist with a GP based out of London.I’m a CPC (Certified Professional Coding)clinical coder and have 2.8 years of experience in clinical coding from a healthcare company based out of India. I came to London in April 2015 and am looking forward for volunteering opportunities in clinical coding in UK.I would like to know if there are any potential opportunities with any NHS trust for trainee clinical coder job. Please let me know if there any opportunities with any other practices that you all may be aware of.Coding which i did in India was with ICD 9 CM/ICD 10 CM and CPT (current procedural coding) but UK NHS follows OPCS 4.7 .This makes difficult for me to get into coding. I would like to know is their any trainers available where i can get trained with OPCS 4.7.Please need some advice to get into NHS trust for Clinical coder position.
Hi all,I would like to introduce myself as Aruna, am currently working as a medical secretary/receptionist with a GP based out of London.I’m a CPC (Certified Professional Coding)clinical coder and have 2.8 years of experience in clinical coding from a healthcare company based out of India. I came to London in April 2015 and am looking forward for volunteering opportunities in clinical coding in UK.I would like to know if there are any potential opportunities with any NHS trust for trainee clinical coder job. Please let me know if there any opportunities with any other practices that you all may be aware of.Coding which I did in India was with ICD 9 CM/ICD 10 CM and CPT (current procedural coding) but UK NHS follows OPCS 4.7.This makes difficult for me to get into coding. I would like to know is there any trainers available where I can get trained with OPCS 4.7.Please need some advice to get into NHS trust for Clinical coder position.
Hi, I have an assessment next Monday , do you remember some of your interview questions?
Hi Aruna, This is Ram - my wife is also interested in joining Clinical coding course and she wants to learn OPCS. 4.7Could you please give me a PM when you are free
Hi thank you for the information on the test. I have an interview coming up and just wanted to know if you had any advice regarding the interview portion. Any advice would be most greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much for the information!I had my interview today and a test beforehand.There was no maths thank goodness, but I was given a list of conditions to code and had to use a ICDS10 Standard book to code these with, seemed straightforward but some codes seemed a bit contradictory so we shall see.I then had to work through a set of case notes and pick out all the relevant information that I though would be important to a coder, that was much harder as the notes were hand written medical notes, scrappy disjointed etc!Then I was given a blank diagram of the human body with organs and name the ones with the arrow pointed towards them, again, not too bad, some I guessed at but the quality of the diagram wasn't that great, really squashed so that you couldn't always see where to look, I missed one out that I couldn't work out so probably a bad mark for that!!The interview was ok, was quite nervous and I think that was obvious, could have kicked myself afterwards when I thought of so many better answers, but hindsight is a wonderful thing!!Hopefully, I should find out tomorrow if I got the post, 13 being interviewed for two positions!

Hi thank you for the information on the test. I have an interview coming up and just wanted to know if you had any advice regarding the interview portion. Any advice would be most greatly appreciated.
Hi aruna,My name is anitha. I am looking for coding opportunities as well. I dont have experience in coding but i have been a medical transcriptionist for several years in india. I have good medical knowledge as i have dealt with a number of medical reports. I am looking for an opening as trainee coder in nhs. How do i go about it? Please enlighten me with the details. Thanks in advance
Hi all,
I'm already a Medical summeriser and coder in a GP. But I'm interested in becoming a certified clinical coder. I need advice on how to go about this. Where do I start from?
Thanks in advance.
Reply 12
Hi i have an interview for this position on wednesday what kind of questions do they ask in the interview?
Reply 13
hi ,thanks for sharing your information. Did you clear your test?
Reply 14
Original post by ArunaAshok
Hi all,I would like to introduce myself as Aruna, am currently working as a medical secretary/receptionist with a GP based out of London.I’m a CPC (Certified Professional Coding)clinical coder and have 2.8 years of experience in clinical coding from a healthcare company based out of India. I came to London in April 2015 and am looking forward for volunteering opportunities in clinical coding in UK.I would like to know if there are any potential opportunities with any NHS trust for trainee clinical coder job. Please let me know if there any opportunities with any other practices that you all may be aware of.Coding which i did in India was with ICD 9 CM/ICD 10 CM and CPT (current procedural coding) but UK NHS follows OPCS 4.7 .This makes difficult for me to get into coding. I would like to know is their any trainers available where i can get trained with OPCS 4.7.Please need some advice to get into NHS trust for Clinical coder position.

hi ARUNA..my profile is the same as yours..did you get into clinical coding in UK.I came to UK IN 2021.Need your insights and suggestions which might help me.
thankyou
Reply 15
Hi Arunima, I am Arsha ,I have 4 years of experience as medical coder in India and I have CCS certification. I came in UK on June 2023, a couple of weeks ago I had attended an NHS trainee clinical coding interview test ,but it was unsuccessful, questions was based on ICD 10, OPCS 4 ,and some medical scenarios were given .Did you find a job in NHS ??
Reply 16
Original post by ARSHA KV
Hi Arunima, I am Arsha ,I have 4 years of experience as medical coder in India and I have CCS certification. I came in UK on June 2023, a couple of weeks ago I had attended an NHS trainee clinical coding interview test ,but it was unsuccessful, questions was based on ICD 10, OPCS 4 ,and some medical scenarios were given .Did you find a job in NHS ??

hi Arsha, good to know about your profile..am CPC certified experienced medical coder back in India. I have also attended an interview for trainee clinical coding but was unsuccessful though I did well. The written test was just the basic damn easy. Surprisingly I dint get any call from them. They are not selecting on the basis of candidate' s talent.. that's for sure ..let us keep trying. If you find any other information please let me know.
thankyou.
Reply 17

hi..did you get through the interview?
Reply 18
Original post by thoorpu
hi Arsha, good to know about your profile..am CPC certified experienced medical coder back in India. I have also attended an interview for trainee clinical coding but was unsuccessful though I did well. The written test was just the basic damn easy. Surprisingly I dint get any call from them. They are not selecting on the basis of candidate' s talent.. that's for sure ..let us keep trying. If you find any other information please let me know.
thankyou.

Sure ,I will let you know, actually there was 4 members in the interview, am the only experienced person among them but still I was not selected ,atleast I have done ICD part correctly, don't know what criteria they are following,
Original post by thoorpu
hi..did you get through the interview?

Hi All !! I'm sofia from India I'm a CRC clinical coder and have 5.6 years of experience in clinical coding from a healthcare company based on India. I came to London in Sep 12th and am looking for a job , I don't know what I should do, please help me guys.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending