The Student Room Group

Why is "diversity" such a great or necessary thing?

Scroll to see replies

Because it wouldn't be a life worth living. The food would be **** (as english women no longer cook for the most part) the music lumpen, the nightlife dull, there'd be f/a in the way of doctors, taxi drivers (who take the english inebriated home) or NHS staff....
Original post by JRKinder
Yes I know about teaching, but I said childcare (or any other profession that is massively dominated by females). Teaching does typically have a majority of women, but a large number of men do still go into it so teaching isn't necessarily seen as a 'woman's job' only like some other industries are.

That was just a handy link given it was on the front page of bbc news this week (but saying primary school teaching isn't seen as a 'womans's job' when 85% of people in that job are women is a bit odd - the percentages go up as the children get younger).

Either way there's plenty of campaigns and work going on to encourage men into childcare. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Encouraging+men+into+childcare+
Original post by 3am Eternal
Because it wouldn't be a life worth living. The food would be **** (as english women no longer cook for the most part) the music lumpen, the nightlife dull, there'd be f/a in the way of doctors, taxi drivers (who take the english inebriated home) or NHS staff....

what? clearly you didn't read a single word I wrote in the opening post!
Original post by MemeworksStudios
The UK isn't diverse though. Major British cities are diverse, but the vast majority of this country is White British and I don't mind ether way as such, but actually if you look at any media outlet, White people are clearly underrepresented.

Makes you wonder why people are so keen to push the white genocide agenda.
Original post by StrawbAri
Makes you wonder why people are so keen to push the white genocide agenda.

It's stupid paranoia, there is no white genocide.
Original post by sleepysnooze
a private company is just that - private. it's part of the private sector, not public. so it isn't socially responsible. only the government is socially responsible. education, too, isn't a natural right - it is a state privilege. and it is purely a means to an end, not an entitlement

Privately-owned companies offer their services to the public, like I said. If you're going to sell to or purchase from the public and hire from the public then expect to be subjected to employment laws.

racial (positive) discrimination is literally the opposite of meritocracy though - at least if there is any discrimination in the private sector, it's not prevalant and deliberate like from the government

Except that the UK does not endorse positive discrimination. Sometimes when applying to jobs there is an "equality and diversity" section, asking for details of the candidate's sexuality, race, socio-economic background and so forth but that is to gather data to show that they are adhering to anti-discrimination laws. Positive discrimination is illegal in both public and private companies.

then why would you need a government telling people who to hire when they could learn this lesson themselves via liberty and not coercion...?

If this person refuses to even give people from certain groups a chance, regardless of how qualified they are then how will they learn?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by WBZ144
Privately-owned companies offer their services to the public, like I said. If you're going to sell to or purchase from the public and hire from the public then expect to be subjected to employment laws.

This is a massive non-sequitur. If a business doesn't sell to the public, should they be exempt from the law?
Original post by Plagioclase
You are completely misrepresenting the theory of evolution through natural selection, there is absolutely no evidence that women are genetically hardwired to be less able at STEM careers than men.
That's a crazy thing to say. There is very obvious evidence: the vastly lower achievement of women in these fields. This evidence is not conclusive proof, but it is a strong prima facie justification for suspecting there are different levels of aptitude. Evidence needs to be provided why this is not the correct explanation if you have some other hypothesis.
What is important, in any industry, is diversity of ideas. If you have a group of people who all think the same way then youre likely to end up with a *****y, poorly thought through ideas. Riguorously testing ideas/policies/artistic endeavours/whatever from a number of perspectives can only make a groups work better in my opinion.

Getting a diverse team racially/culturally/economicaly/politically/etc is more likely to give you that than hiring from an ever narrowing group of society.
Original post by sleepysnooze
caviats: I am not saying people shouldn't be allowed to practice their own beliefs and have their own individual identifies (social or biological) - don't interpret me as saying this.
and I know this is quite a long post but I've tried to get right down to the bare bones without any unnecessary rambling

I have been reading a bit about the BBC's "diversity" policy. and it's really made me think: why is diversity even a good thing at all? I've been reading this in terms of race, religion, sexuality, etc; having more gay students, having more muslim employees, having more black people in lucrative fields, etc. but why push for this? is it "diversity" or is it merely tokenism and social window dressing? is it for a good cause that can be logically justified, or is it literally just our authorities wanting to take all these kinds of different people and push them together to say "ahhh, there: that's what I want society to look like" as if society is a toy town to be socially arranged at one's pleasure - isn't that kind of social engineering, or playing god in some sense? if there are people that don't do as well as others (or don't want to) in certain fields, then what good will this do? also, if we're all equal by virtue of our shared humanity, why even care about identity? didn't MLK say "don't judge people by their skin colour but by their characters"? well if you need to look at society with racial (or similar) goggles, surely you are acting upon the belief that races are different to other races? isn't that divisive at its core regardless of your rosey intentions? why teach us that we're different like this? diversity merely seems like a cultural cosmetic treatment - it makes no difference other than the smug satisfaction of the 'engineers' who care about appearances and illusions of total equality (or "equality among difference" - whatever it's meant to be) - it's treating people as if they're nothing but accessories as well -as if all they are is a skin colour or a religion and merely one more ticked box on a quota list - and I would hate to be placed in a box like this if I were a member of a certain minority/ethic identity like these elites do. it's so degrading, surely?

also: let me get on to the factor of religions. religions today are already, clearly, obsolete, but religions specifically make people do and think some very immoral things outside of the general social stability of "don't be a dick". so why is religious diversity good when it's diversity of immoralities? saying diversity is good in a context of islam is like saying "diversity is good" in the context of including racists in a social group for the sake of their "differences", because the vast majority of muslims (in the west or otherwise) hold strictly homophobic beliefs (there was a poll that showed that a majority of muslims even think gays should be put in prison) and hold sentiments against the liberty of speech against the prophet (i.e. advocacy of government censorship or punishments for people defaming muhammad). with the former part of this paragraph in mind, why is diversity and inclusion good when you're including necessarily (in the majority of cases) bad people? surely that makes diversity something that worsens something, not help it, in this sense, when we're talking about a truly "progressive" (I really hate using that word) society of morality and democratic values?

it's easy to say "diversity is good because unity is boring" but in a western context, unity is surely better than diversity in the broadest of senses when we are all united by liberal values, whereas in diversity we are split off from each other and some people will have illiberal or intolerant values in the case of religion? surely if western culture is good, then why is non-diversity bad in the west? and if race doesn't matter anymore, then why is racial diversity so necessary in itself? it all just seems like a dreadful social experiment - it's 2016 where racism or homophobia don't exist predominantly and people are generally very civil and accepting - why push for this when it is just going to give the impression that people in society are racist if you *need* racial quotas, or it's going to seem like society is misogynistic if you *need* gender quotas - these things are just pure paternalism - it makes these identities look incapable compared to everybody else - so it's surely the worst thing you can do?

Diversity is neither a good or bad thing. Diversity if the product of globalisation, which is unavoidable in an ever developing world.

Could you provide examples of where people have said some of these things? It seems as though you've misunderstood what people are talking about when they are talking about diversity.

For example if someone said ''we need more black people in lucrative fields'' it isn't about having more black people for the sake of having more black people. It would be about how black people are underrepresented in these fields and how, in an equal world, we should expect equal representation. The same could be said about having more women with STEM degrees or in higher paid jobs, or having more men working in traditionally female professions.

I think you've confused people wanting to expect diversity with people wanting diversity.

Quotas are there to try and fix the imbalance, though I don't have any strong opinion on that.
Because some thickos have issues with people and the amount of melanin they have in their skin.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Diversity under unified banner is a very strong model for a society.*
Lots of people with different skills, experiance and histories, who are all one entity and identify as one large collective group is strong. It provides the nessasary breath in ability, whilst also giving the unification required for everyone to work towards a common goal. We need people to who function well together despite being different, and who if a disaster happens, work as one collective identity.

The problem is that this does not work very well in real life, especially regarding immigration.

You can esaily check off the first part - diversity of skills/experience/history.*

But I am yet to see a single country that has been able to manufacture the second part - being a unified/cohesive society with a singular identity.

From my personal observation I can only see this happening over hundreds of years, and many many generations, as we have seen throughout history as cultures mix. But looking around currently, I cannot see a single country that has been able to manufacture this quickly under the banner of multiculturalism, using mass immigration.

America, France, England, Australia, South Aftrica, Germany.. etc. etc. All of them have failed to create a unified society with no identity issues. In all we have a community which is more fractured then ever, splits down ethnicity and background lines, and ends up looking like a bag of mashed together cultures who never work as one.*

Maybe all it needs is time?*
i kind of agree

valuing diversity (in religion, race, sexuality etc.) for its own sake does presuppose that these characteristics are somehow predictive of a person's ability or character in another way. it encourages us to make these incidental attributes matter where they really shouldn't and imo contributes to the problems society has with prejudices

i dont think I worded this very well so please quiz me if it doesn't make sense

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think diversity is necessarily good. I didn't read your OP because it was too long.
Reply 54
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Why is homogeneity such a good thing?

Homogenous societies tend to be the most stable and peaceful, whilst non-homogenous societies tend to be the most disfunctional (obviously there are exceptions). Have a look at this map. Notice any patterns?

Take Uganda for example, it is officially the most ethnically diverse country in the world. There are over a dozen different ethnic groups that make up the population, no one group has a clear majority, all have their own distinct cultural values, practices, religious beliefs, and at least 40 different languages are spoken. Should be a multicultural paradise right? Wrong, the place is an absolute mess, plagued with ethnic and religious conflict, corruption and is effectively a failed state. And there are numerous other African countries with similarly diverse demographics that suffer from exactly the same problems.

A nation ultimately needs unity amongst it's inhabitants to thrive. How can there ever be any unity, when the people within your borders don't even speak the same language, do not share a common ethnic identity and hold wildly differing cultural and religious practices?
I think it's good. Nice to have a variety of shops and things to do.
Original post by Wōden
Homogenous societies tend to be the most stable and peaceful, whilst non-homogenous societies tend to be the most disfunctional (obviously there are exceptions). Have a look at this map. Notice any patterns?

Take Uganda for example, it is officially the most ethnically diverse country in the world. There are over a dozen different ethnic groups that make up the population, no one group has a clear majority, all have their own distinct cultural values, practices, religious beliefs, and at least 40 different languages are spoken. Should be a multicultural paradise right? Wrong, the place is an absolute mess, plagued with ethnic and religious conflict, corruption and is effectively a failed state. And there are numerous other African countries with similarly diverse demographics that suffer from exactly the same problems.

A nation ultimately needs unity amongst it's inhabitants to thrive. How can there ever be any unity, when the people within your borders don't even speak the same language, do not share a common ethnic identity and hold wildly differing cultural and religious practices?

Canada is diverse and look at them.
Well it's the "United" Kingdom lol but it's not for diversity.

As you saw with the EU referendum:

the ONLY reason people want a diverse country
is for economic gain with their mother countries
they don't give a **** about coming together lol and the schools have to be the seed-planters

Like the USA in NYC I learnt in one of my lectures last week that so many buildings in NYC have Chinese investors

Would there be any Chinese investors if there were no Chinese people in the country? lol

For social reasons, I don't mind black people because I like lighty girls and when black and white mix..you get lighty girls lol
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
My old school did something like this: putting pictures of kids from minorities on their website to look more 'ethnically diverse' even though it was a predominantly white school.

lmaoo I always grew up seeing little cartoon banners hanging in my school main entrance welcoming the parents, with like a Chinese kid drawn, a Jew like a white girl with a dark afro, a black boy, a ginger with freckles, an Indian teacher and a blonde girl and they're all smiling together :rofl:

meanwhile the school had like no Jews or Chinese or Indian teachers and like barely black, only some mixed kids :toofunny:
Reply 59
Original post by Plagioclase
This isn't about "elevating" people above anyone else. It is about recognising that institutional prejudices exist and that these prejudices will continue to be perpetuated without some kind of external intervention.

Should this not be proven before acted upon? And isn't it better to fix the underlying problem (e.g. through education) rather than take arbitrary measures that could do more harm than good? Positive discrimination may well reinforce negative stereotypes if someone is elevated to above their level of ability.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending