Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

For or Against: Referendums

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016
  • View Poll Results: For or Against?

(Original post by epage)
    Okay then informed personal opinion. I just meant that you have to actually have to know a few things before you can make an informed judgement. Things like same-sex marriage are entirely down to personal opinion and not much else.
    Same sex marriage was a matter of discrimination. Personally I think that you've got to come up with a better, more objective reason, than an old book says so if you wish to actively discriminate against some group of people.

(Original post by RF_PineMarten)
    What makes you think MPs know what they're talking about? On any one issue they are likely to be no more qualified to talk or make decisions than the average person. Some of them haven't got a clue on certain things.

If the public aren't qualified to make those decisions, then neither are most MPs.
    Not only do they have the benefit of debate in Parliament, where sufficient people who do know what they're talking about are speaking that the levels of truth and reasoning are likely to be higher, but they're also professionals, so they have more time to read and think about issues, and they also have advisors who can help them (neither of which is available to your average member of the public). Finally, and I'm loathe to mention this for fear of sounding elitist, but they're significantly more intelligent on average than the public.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 11, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.