The Student Room Group

(edited 1 month ago)
I can't tell you what it's like to study those as subjects, but I can tell you that they are generally considered good preparation for a modern languages degree.
Reply 2
I took English Lit (AQA) and Politics (Edexcel) for A-Level and absolutely loved both. Since they’re both essay subjects, they’re quite intensive but set you up well for uni due to that (I did at least one essay per week for both in class) and it takes quite a bit of independent study to keep up. I’ve been out of college for a couple of years now, but have applied to go to uni in September for a language course too (with business) and have received 3 offers so far, so I think the subjects will be seen positively for the MFL route you want to take!

I know it’s a different exam board, but as you wanted to know a bit more about politics, for me we did British politics in 1st year and American politics in the 2nd year. It covers a lot about different political ideologies (eg liberalism, conservatism, feminism etc), the different political parties, voting systems, structure of government etc. There were always lots of debates in class but never in an argumentative/accusatory way so it’s actually really interesting! Keeping up to date on current affairs is desired and we also did ‘mock cabinets’ and things like that which was fun. There’s lots of dates and statistics to learn (such as when people were prime minister, referendum dates, turnouts etc). Overall it’s a really interesting subject to take and I think I personally gained a lot of useful, transferable skills as well as confidence. I recommend both 🙂
Reply 3
Original post by Belle H
I took English Lit (AQA) and Politics (Edexcel) for A-Level and absolutely loved both. Since they’re both essay subjects, they’re quite intensive but set you up well for uni due to that (I did at least one essay per week for both in class) and it takes quite a bit of independent study to keep up. I’ve been out of college for a couple of years now, but have applied to go to uni in September for a language course too (with business) and have received 3 offers so far, so I think the subjects will be seen positively for the MFL route you want to take!

I know it’s a different exam board, but as you wanted to know a bit more about politics, for me we did British politics in 1st year and American politics in the 2nd year. It covers a lot about different political ideologies (eg liberalism, conservatism, feminism etc), the different political parties, voting systems, structure of government etc. There were always lots of debates in class but never in an argumentative/accusatory way so it’s actually really interesting! Keeping up to date on current affairs is desired and we also did ‘mock cabinets’ and things like that which was fun. There’s lots of dates and statistics to learn (such as when people were prime minister, referendum dates, turnouts etc). Overall it’s a really interesting subject to take and I think I personally gained a lot of useful, transferable skills as well as confidence. I recommend both 🙂

That is really helpful information thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest