The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2200
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
Yup.

Was it not you that quoted me with those articles for the cosmological argument?
Original post by MoMatrix
Was it not you that quoted me with those articles for the cosmological argument?
Yup, I'm a Somali-atheist.
Original post by Oxbridge-Rawr
Hey everyone,
I've never been to Somalia (although, I would absolutely LOVE to go).
I haven't had much contact with many Somalis, who aren't caught- up in tribalism. So everytime I ask the following questions, I get a different answer - because everyone seems to blame the trouble in Somalia on everyone/thing else.

So my questions are;
- What exactly is happening in Somali? Why and How did the civil war start?
- I know that Somaliland isn't recognized as separate country, but is it really and illegal/ illegitimate state?
- What is the current situation like?
- Why do the tribes all seem to hate each other? It seems ludicrous to me! They're all from the same country - shouldn't they be working together and trying to build- up Somalia?!
Any answers would be greatly appreciated, because I'm SERIOUSLY confused right now and it's shameful to know so little about my own country!

Oh and does anyone know about the organisation 'Hanoolato'?- If you do, what are your thoughts?

P.S.
- does anyone know if it's possible to do a GCSE in Somali?

:biggrin:

I used to be in the same position as you. Completely ignorant about my heritage. Can't even speak the language properly. But what what finally made me read about my background and history was when some dude asked what tribe I was. I didn't have a clue what he was on about :confused:

Do some research. Start with Wikipedia. Most of the sources on there have been verified :wink:
Reply 2203
Yup, I'm a Somali-atheist.

How did you become athiest may I ask how did you lose faith?
(edited 13 years ago)
How did you become athiest may I ask how did you lose faith?

Didn't find arguments for Gods existence convincing. Couldn't absorb some aspects of Islam such as eternity-hellfire, stance on evolution etc.
Reply 2205
Didn't find arguments for Gods existence convincing. Couldn't absorb some aspects of Islam such as eternity-hellfire, stance on evolution etc.

I would suggest you sign on to the Islamic awakening forum and look for some answers.
Considering we're all talking theology here, I've wanted to ask you guys if you were born into a Christian family would you still become Muslim(considering your family took you to church, you truly believed in jesus/trinity etc)? same for Buddhist families/secular families.

Yes people convert but those are a very small minority is it not that everyone thinks their religion to be the best otherwise we would all be under one or none.

And For those who never received the message of Islam basically before Christianity was wide spread and Judaism was a exclusive group of travellers in the middle east, what happened to those in Africa, most of Europe, Indians, Chinese, oceanic people, where they justified for believing in what they believe before receiving Allah's message through his prophets.

A bigger question is whether we should follow shariah when it is a mere interpretation of the holy quran by other believers possible influenced by hypothetical imperatives.
I would suggest you sign on to the Islamic awakening forum and look for some answers.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't really need any answers (I do but not from Islam) and I already know what their answer is going to be. Also, they aren't the type of Muslims who can hold a rational discussion.
Original post by Stratos
And For those who never received the message of Islam basically before Christianity was wide spread and Judaism was a exclusive group of travellers in the middle east, what happened to those in Africa, most of Europe, Indians, Chinese, oceanic people, where they justified for believing in what they believe before receiving Allah's message through his prophets.

To every people (was sent) a messenger: when their messenger comes (before them), the matter will be judged between them with justice, and they will not be wronged. 10:47

For We assuredly sent amongst every People a messenger, (with the Command), "Serve Allah, and eschew Evil": of the People were some whom Allah guided, and some on whom error became inevitably (established). So travel through the earth, and see what was the end of those who denied (the Truth). 16:36

Verily We have sent thee in truth, as a bearer of glad tidings, and as a warner: and there never was a people, without a warner having lived among them (in the past). 35:24
To every people (was sent) a messenger: when their messenger comes (before them), the matter will be judged between them with justice, and they will not be wronged. 10:47

For We assuredly sent amongst every People a messenger, (with the Command), "Serve Allah, and eschew Evil": of the People were some whom Allah guided, and some on whom error became inevitably (established). So travel through the earth, and see what was the end of those who denied (the Truth). 16:36

Verily We have sent thee in truth, as a bearer of glad tidings, and as a warner: and there never was a people, without a warner having lived among them (in the past). 35:24

Now I'm interested in this ancient justice before Sharia/Islam what would that have been?
Original post by Cesar Lecat
:biggrin:

I used to be in the same position as you. Completely ignorant about my heritage. Can't even speak the language properly. But what what finally made me read about my background and history was when some dude asked what tribe I was. I didn't have a clue what he was on about :confused:

Do some research. Start with Wikipedia. Most of the sources on there have been verified :wink:

I wouldn't say I'm completely ignorant. :tongue: I mean I know what tribe I am and I get what Clans are and I do speak Somali. I can read and understand it too - It's just writing in Somali that I have a problem with. :/
But when it comes to Somali politics...I'm pretty ignorant. It's embarrasing really:colondollar: ! However I'm determined to educate myself!! Better late than never I guess!:biggrin:
Original post by Stratos
Now I'm interested in this ancient justice before Sharia/Islam what would that have been?

I don' think it would've been much different. After all, the difference between Islam and Judaism isn't much (or-so Islam claims).
Original post by Mombasa Raha
What do you guys think of the article below. The Awdal region of Somalia - located in north-west Somaliland is preparing to establish Awdal State..a state which would be part of federal Somalia. How would you guys in support of Somaliland feel about this? ...I remember reading an article on this matter about a year ago, where academics from the Awdal region were expressing how the inhabitants of that region were staunchly against the idea of 'Somaliland' as opposed to federal Somalia. Is this a step in the right direction for federalism in Somalia?

Great article. Somaliland, if it was to be established has a lot of obstacles in its way. The states of Sool, Sanaag, Cayn and now Awdal all reject the notion with many other states having their citizens vote for unification (if my Somali is correct).

I really don't know how I feel about it. I originally very strongly objected to Somaliland but now I'm not so sure. Maybe it will kickstart everything and return Somalia to a peaceful state or maybe that will be the end of Somalia altogether.

Original post by Oxbridge-Rawr
Hey everyone,
I've never been to Somalia (although, I would absolutely LOVE to go).
I haven't had much contact with many Somalis, who aren't caught- up in tribalism. So everytime I ask the following questions, I get a different answer - because everyone seems to blame the trouble in Somalia on everyone/thing else.

So my questions are;
- What exactly is happening in Somali? Why and How did the civil war start?
- I know that Somaliland isn't recognized as separate country, but is it really and illegal/ illegitimate state?
- What is the current situation like?
- Why do the tribes all seem to hate each other? It seems ludicrous to me! They're all from the same country - shouldn't they be working together and trying to build- up Somalia?!
Any answers would be greatly appreciated, because I'm SERIOUSLY confused right now and it's shameful to know so little about my own country!

Oh and does anyone know about the organisation 'Hanoolato'?- If you do, what are your thoughts?

P.S.
- does anyone know if it's possible to do a GCSE in Somali?

Extremely complicated! Why not start of from Wiki?

- Start of from colonisation, understand how being colonised by 3 European powers had pretty much divided the country.

- Understand how the resistance against Italy, Britain, France and Ethiopia affected the future of Somalia when the country was finally given its independence and how the borders were drawn up.

- The Ogaden war where Somalia invaded Ethiopia, its reasons, its failures and its effect.

- The Somali revolution against Siad Barre.

That's a good starting point, once you get that you have to go back to Somali clans and tribes to understand how things went downhill from the ousting of Siad Barre.
Original post by The Cornerstone
I see the pain they gained from the government but what difference will it make by joining with federal Somalia?

BTW unrelated but is Leicester your firm choice? I'm going there as well :tongue:

It'll make a huge difference because unlike Sool and Sanaag (which, I think, are regions in favour of federal Somalia) Awdal is completely surrounded by Somaliland - it's on the border with Djibouti. Sool and Sanaag could be annexed to Puntland. The Somaliland administration will obviously be against this and they would just become another oppressive regime (all be it an unrecognised one). I think one solution that a couple Somali academics have mentioned is moving the capital of a federal Somalia to Hargeisa - a place where peace actually exists. This would mean the government could go about it's business while forces pooled from the regions of PLand and SLand with the AU and Ahlu Sunna etc could be used to eradicate Al Shabaab. However, this would mean a lot of political redundancies. This could be another problem. All in all, I think Somalia would be much better of as a unified state where all Somalis could call home. How can a place be called Somaliland and favour only clans native to that region? might as well call it the name of the clan followed by 'land'.

--------------

I thought about going to Leicester by so far Lancaster seems to be in the lead for me. :tongue:
It'll make a huge difference because unlike Sool and Sanaag (which, I think, are regions in favour of federal Somalia) Awdal is completely surrounded by Somaliland - it's on the border with Djibouti. Sool and Sanaag could be annexed to Puntland. The Somaliland administration will obviously be against this and they would just become another oppressive regime (all be it an unrecognised one). I think one solution that a couple Somali academics have mentioned is moving the capital of a federal Somalia to Hargeisa - a place where peace actually exists. This would mean the government could go about it's business while forces pooled from the regions of PLand and SLand with the AU and Ahlu Sunna etc could be used to eradicate Al Shabaab. However, this would mean a lot of political redundancies. This could be another problem. All in all, I think Somalia would be much better of as a unified state where all Somalis could call home. How can a place be called Somaliland and favour only clans native to that region? might as well call it the name of the clan followed by 'land'.

I might be wrong but I see no reason why Mogadishu has to remain the capital of Somalia. There are many cities in Somalia with a huge amount of History behind them. Hargeisa right now (if i'm not mistaken) has the largest population and on that basis should be the capital.

I think it would go along way to restore the trust lost between Somalia as a whole and the Ishaaq clan who feel they have been mistreated ever since their British Somaliland joined the Italian Somaliland. It doesn't mean much but it symbolises the importance of the North. If it would stop the formation of Somaliland as an independent state and instead focus their efforts into rebuilding to country starting from the North down then I would accept it in an instant.
(edited 13 years ago)

--------------

I thought about going to Leicester by so far Lancaster seems to be in the lead for me. :tongue:

I know where Awdal is but what I want to know is what benefit will it make by joining with federal Somalia (Who already have enough problems as it is). Is it because of the problems they gain from the Somaliland government they think the that the grass is greener on the other side?

Moving the capital to Hargeisa would be a good idea, that is if anyone from the region would actually be for the unification of Somalia. Plus there would be a lot of political problems with that as you said. I think that we should thin about a unification of Somalia only when every region are stable enough for this to happen and are willing to look past the mistakes made before, which for now is not likely to happen soon as the memories of Siad Barre's regime is still strong in the people of Somaliland, especially with the Isaaq clan (As I can see with my family and other fellow Landers). I had this idea (not a good one though :tongue:) I was thinking about before is that when all the regions are stable enough, we could unify but the regions could also have some sort of autonomy in their affairs (a bit like the UK).

I also agree with what you said about the clan problem in Somaliland, I also noticed that this influences politics and elections as people vote candidates based on their clan rather that policies.
---------------

That's too bad I wanted to meet a Somali before going to Leicester :tongue:
I know where Awdal is but what I want to know is what benefit will it make by joining with federal Somalia (Who already have enough problems as it is). Is it because of the problems they gain from the Somaliland government they think the that the grass is greener on the other side?

Moving the capital to Hargeisa would be a good idea, that is if anyone from the region would actually be for the unification of Somalia. Plus there would be a lot of political problems with that as you said. I think that we should thin about a unification of Somalia only when every region are stable enough for this to happen and are willing to look past the mistakes made before, which for now is not likely to happen soon as the memories of Siad Barre's regime is still strong in the people of Somaliland, especially with the Isaaq clan (As I can see with my family and other fellow Landers). I had this idea (not a good one though :tongue:) I was thinking about before is that when all the regions are stable enough, we could unify but the regions could also have some sort of autonomy in their affairs (a bit like the UK).

I also agree with what you said about the clan problem in Somaliland, I also noticed that this influences politics and elections as people vote candidates based on their clan rather that policies.

Why blame it on the rest of Somalia though? As some sort of collective punishment? Siad Barre destroyed, tortured and killed anyone against his regime. This was not only exclusive to the people of Hargeisa or the Ishaaq clan.
Original post by In2deep
I might be wrong but I see no reason why Mogadishu has to remain the capital of Somalia. There are many cities in Somalia with a huge amount of History behind them. Hargeisa right now (if i'm not mistaken) has the largest population and on that basis should be the capital.

I think it would go along way to restore the trust lost between Somalia as a whole and the Ishaaq clan who feel they have been mistreated ever since their British Somaliland joined the Italian Somaliland. It doesn't mean much but it symbolises the importance of the North. If it would stop the formation of Somaliland as an independent state and instead focus their efforts into rebuilding to country starting from the North down then I would accept it in an instant.

Yeap, I agree with you. I think Mogadishu just needs to see a break after 20 years of constant destruction. Once one of the best cities in Africa, now one of the most ridiculed in the whole world. :sad: Not only would Hargeisa symbolise a new Somalia, but it would mean the work of government can take place in a peaceful setting..so long as Al Shabab doesn't somehow get a hold in the city.

---------------

That's too bad I wanted to meet a Somali before going to Leicester :tongue:

Well, the grass certainly isn't greener in south Somalia as of now. I think it's about the sentiment of a unified Somali state. I think currently their isn't much development in Awdal and they feel marginalized - just as Sland did before the civil war. Although tbh Sland hardly has any resources.

Your idea of autonomous regions is basically what a federal system would entail.

--------------

I was actually really interested in firming Leicester but the Lancaster course structure, collegiate system, study abroad opportunity and being next to the Lake District just won it for me in the end. I was pretty sure Leicester would be my firm when I was doing my UCAS form. Have you visited Leicester yet? I haven't even seen the place :colondollar: Although it looks really nice from brochures, website etc.

Original post by In2deep
Why blame it on the rest of Somalia though? As some sort of collective punishment? Siad Barre destroyed, tortured and killed anyone against his regime. This was not only exclusive to the people of Hargeisa or the Ishaaq clan.

He was an oppressive dictator in the end. He had really good sentiments at the start - did some really good things, but the Ogaden War and the Cold War really messed him up. I think that's a good question you pose...since the whole basis for Sland's existence is the oppression they faced in the hands of Siad Barre - someone who's no longer alive. Why not forget the past and work for the good of the Somali people - after all once you leave Somalia no one sees you as a Hawiye or Isaaq but as a Somali.
Original post by In2deep

It's not just that, Barre tried everything to make sure Somaliland stays a backwater region; from building restrictions to curfews to unemployment to bombing, the list goes on. And that's after Somaliland have trusted them enough to form a unified Somalia.This betrayal still is fresh in their memories.

You must remember that this was just 2-3 decades ago, people who have lived through this are still alive and still have those memories of being oppressed. I can tell by just talking to my mum about the unification of Somalia, she will dismiss it without question as soon as I ask her. It's not about punishment, it's about a lack of trust and a desire to progress without being oppressed.

To be able to even think about a unified Somalia, we must first look past the mistakes of the past and this will only be possible through the future generations (That is if the anger of the elders hasn't been passed on to them).
Well, the grass certainly isn't greener in south Somalia as of now. I think it's about the sentiment of a unified Somali state. I think currently their isn't much development in Awdal and they feel marginalized - just as Sland did before the civil war. Although tbh Sland hardly has any resources.

I think there was development in the Awdal region, it's just there have been tensions with the new president Siilaanyo as currently the region is not really well represented by the government and other problems

I was actually really interested in firming Leicester but the Lancaster course structure, collegiate system, study abroad opportunity and being next to the Lake District just won it for me in the end. I was pretty sure Leicester would be my firm when I was doing my UCAS form. Have you visited Leicester yet? I haven't even seen the place :colondollar: Although it looks really nice from brochures, website etc

I have been to Leicester but haven't got a chance to see the city although I did like it, even though on both occasions it was grey or raining.

Latest