The Student Room Group

Can I join societies in second year ?

First year will be over in a month and it’s been so hard
I’ve struggled soooo much and been constantly anxious and panicking

I haven’t joined any societies because I’ve been so drained because my anxiety made it so hard to eat and sleep and then I had all my work to do aswell

I’ve gotten alot better and I’ve tried to join societies now but none of them reply to my emails so maybe they don’t want me haha

But I was wondering would I be able to join next year? Will I make friends or will they all be freshers?

Have u joined a society in the second year?
Original post by Anonymous #1
I haven’t joined any societies because I’ve been so drained because my anxiety made it so hard to eat and sleep and then I had all my work to do aswell
I’ve gotten alot better and I’ve tried to join societies now but none of them reply to my emails so maybe they don’t want me haha
But I was wondering would I be able to join next year? Will I make friends or will they all be freshers?
Hi there,

Firstly, congratulations for persevering and getting through 1st year that is a huge achievement 👏

And you can absolutely join societies in 2nd year! Personally for me and my university experience, I even joined a society in my 3rd year. There was a mix of 1st, 2nd and 3rd years that were in the society so I certainly didn’t feel out of place 😊

If you are struggling with anything to do with societies e.g. lack of replies, it may be best to contact your Students’ Union who help with societies for an answer.

Good luck in your next year!
Jemma

Hi there,

First year was hard for me too so I understand where you are coming from! It's such a big change coming to uni and it can be hard to adjust to living on your own, going to uni, doing you work and still trying to have fun too!

You can definitely join societies in your second year! I would recommend going to the societies fair in freshers week and looking at all of the different stalls that are set up and seeing which you would be interested in. You can also chat to people there who run that society and this can help you decide if you want to do it. It's worth doing a trial session anyway as most societies offer this without any commitment so you don't have to sign up after if you don't feel like it's for you so I'd recommend going to some 'give it a go' sessions as societies can be expensive sometimes!

There is usually a mix of first, second and third years in the society so it won't be weird at all you starting as a second year! You will still be able to make friends and there will be lots of people there to make friends with!

I hope this helps,

Lucy -SHU student ambassador .
Hi there

Congratulations on getting through first year! 😊

Sorry to hear that first year has been tough for you, it is great that you have gotten better over time. (If you ever feel the need, there are always support systems at University that you can reach out to.)

Feel free to join University’s societies any time during University. You probably do not have to write emails to society, you could just turn up if you feel comfortable enough. Or you could drop them quick messages on their socials such as Instagram (which I find they are more responsive).

University students often attend societies at any stages of their degree, so you should not have to worry about them all being freshers. In fact many of my friends I met in societies were from second or third year. Also, unlike sixth form, it is always possible to make friends with students from different years which I find is quite common at university. I am currently a final year student, and I have joined societies every year at university, you could always try different societies and decide which ones you would like to stay in.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent student Rep

Anon,

First year can be a lot to adjust to, and so it's understandable if things have a bit overwhelming. In second year, you will hopefully feel more settled in your surroundings and with your course.

Joining a society might be a good way to manage stress! This may be particularly important as second year tends to either be more busy or have more challenging work or be a combination of both in comparison to first year. Joining a society could be a way to help you have a good uni work-life balance but it might be wise to consider your timetable and the expected time commitment of any society you plan to join. For example, if you join a sports society you might have to consider time for practise, matches/games and socials which may take a big chunk out of the week.

Societies are a great way to get to know new people and the start of the academic year is a great time for anyone to join: not just freshers, so definitely check out some societies that you may be interested in joining and make contact in September.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Hi,

First off - I'm sorry you've had such a tough first year at uni, but it's great to hear that you're doing a lot better. :smile:

I imagine most societies are beginning to wrap up for the year, which is why they might be a bit slow to respond to your emails - but if they do have Instagram/Facebook pages, it might be worthwhile seeing if you could reach out to them on those as well. Like a lot of other students I know, they might just not regularly check their inboxes that often.

I joined a few new societies in my second year, and there was absolutely no problem with being that year on - most societies have ice-breaker events at the start of the year for new members anyway, which makes it very easy to integrate with any of the 1st-3rd year members of the society.

Do you have any societies in particular you're hoping to join next year? Are they more sports or interest based?

Eve (Kingston Rep).
(edited 1 month ago)
Hey,

Hang in there! First off, major kudos for pushing through a tough first year. University can be a rollercoaster ride, but guess what? You made it! That's something to celebrate.

It's totally understandable that anxiety can throw a wrench into things, making it hard to juggle everything. Remember, your health and well-being come first, so taking the time to prioritise self-care is crucial.

Sometimes, societies can get bogged down with emails or miss a few in the shuffle, so don't take it personally. Keep reaching out or try attending their events in person you might find a warm welcome waiting for you.

And about joining next year? Absolutely! Many societies are open to new members throughout the year, so you'll have plenty of opportunities to get involved and make connections. As for making friends, trust me, they come in all shapes, sizes, and academic years. Whether they're freshers or seasoned veterans, shared interests and experiences can bring people together in the most unexpected ways.

Hang tight, and remember, you've got this. If you ever need a friendly ear or some advice, don't hesitate to reach out.

Best Wishes,
Arslan University of Salford Student Representative

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having a tough time in your first year. Please know that it's completely okay to join societies in your second year, or at any point during your university journey. While some societies may have many freshers, there will also be others in the same boat as you, joining in their second year or later. Don't worry about the societies not responding yet, try maybe coming to speak with them in person? Remember, everyone is there to make friends and enjoy shared interests, just like you. Keep going, things will get better!

Good luck,
Ilya :smile:
Hello!

Firstly, well done for carrying on this year! It must have been so difficult for you, but you have persevered so well, big congratulations! First year can be really tricky, so you are definitely not alone in feeling isolated, even though it is horrible!

You will definitely be able to try and join lots of societies in the new academic year! For me, I tried new sports and language learning societies in my second year, and found lots of new members were also from older years. Lots of people joining societies are also post graduate students so it really is never too late to try something new! I would recommend attending your university's freshers fair and get stuck in with the taster sessions- you can do it!

Hopefully that helps encourage you that it never is too late!

All the best,

Lucy :smile:
2nd year languages student

Hi,

I’m sorry to hear that you have struggled so much in the first year. I remember being so nervous in my first year, as I was far away from home, a new learning structure, and overall, a new environment, but coming from a postgraduate student, make sure to prioritise your mental health as it will get easier! I’ve always found walking to be really beneficial to me, as it is a chance to meet other students out and about and just help reduce anxiety and wash away stress from the day.

You can definitely join societies in your second year, as this was something I did to better get to know the people on my course (I was doing photography at the time). As others have recommended, Freshers week is an excellent way to get your name and contact details out to societies. Contacting your student unions, even through a FAQ or query page, might be able to solve your unanswered emails.

I joined the LGBTIA+ and Photography Society during my BA, and there was a large mix of students, so I wasn’t the only second year, thankfully. And finally, it is never too late to make friends; I didn’t make friends till the end of my second year and into the start of my third year. Sometimes

I hope this helps,
Jade
University of Sunderland Ambassador
BA Photography Video and Digital Imaging
Current PGCE in Primary Education
Hello,

I am sorry things have been tough for you. When I first started uni, I felt homesick so I experienced some difficulties adjusting and didn't really have the time to join any societies. The silver lining though was that the years after that, I made friends and had an idea of what societies I would like to join. In my 5 years of education, I joined fencing, drama, dance, badminton, and several medical societies. There is also always new students joining so you won't feel like the only new face there.

I hope you find the right fit <3

Best of luck,
Haya - MBBS V
Hi!

You definitely can join sports and society’s in your second year. I joined my sports club, in my second year. I’m currently the Captain for the Mountaineering club, and we have students from Foundation years, 1st, 2nd,3rd, postgraduate as well as alumni students.

I’m sorry they haven’t gotten back to your emails. Have you tried to contact them through their social media accounts such as instagram or Facebook. I know for mountaineering, we don’t always receive notifications for our emails, so can sometimes take a while to get back to people.

I would definitely recommend you join a sports club or society, as it’s such a good way to grow confidence and meet new people outside of your course and accommodation. I was worried when I went to a taster session for the mountaineering club, as I was terrified of heights and had never climbed before, but they all turned out to be lovely. I wasn’t the only person who had never climbed before or the only person terrified of heights. If there’s a club that your intreasted in but have never done that sport/activity don’t let that put you off, as there will be others in the same position as you.

If the clubs and society’s haven’t replied to you, maybe go into the Students Union and ask them if you have the correct contact details with them or if they could get in contact with the society for you?

Hope this helps!

Suzan - Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending