The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm interested in PPE! I heard Oxford has a great course, but it's Oxford, so we'll see... Are any of you guys applying to other countries outside the UK? I'm from Canada, so it feels a little weird to apply to a country so far away from family.

Original post by sumsum123
Heyy :smile:. What will you be applying for and what subject? Where are you from? Anything you want to know about the UK in particular?
Original post by 2012studious
Canada!

Ehh, did you say maple syrup?
I'm interested in PPE! I heard Oxford has a great course, but it's Oxford, so we'll see... Are any of you guys applying to other countries outside the UK? I'm from Canada, so it feels a little weird to apply to a country so far away from family.

Nicee :smile:. I have not applied to a uni out of the UK though have moved away from home. It must be odd leaving everything behind however I am sure you will have a great time studying and experiencing a new culture. Though international fees are pretty high "/. Are you coming to the UK only if you get into Oxford or are hoping to come here if you get into any of your other choices? Best of luck with your application!
Original post by Galileo Galilei
Maths, Physics, Economics and Government and Politics . What Degree are you doing?

Nice mix of choices, any idea of what you want to go into? I am doing med.
Reply 3984
Original post by discotheque
Chem 5 sucks so bad, if I never hear the words "transition metal" ever again it will be too soon. AQA were so sneaky the printed a question at the back randomly this year and I didn't see it even though I had extra time:frown:

The shock of those men make it seem kind of Somali-deprived. Can't tell from that one day though I guess.

I know the area where Warwick uni resides on, I don't think there are any Somali families living at this area. I think that's probably the reason why he was giving me strange looks as if he thought I had no business at the uni.

I applied and got interview at Oxford. I wouldn't even go to there even if I was offered a place. It's great uni but the environment at there seriously sucks for Somalis, especially for Muslims. There's soo much hostility towards Somalis at there.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Rtcw
I know the area where Warwick uni resides on, I don't think there are any Somali families living at this area. I think that's probably the reason why he was giving me strange looks as if he thought I had no business at the uni.

I applied and got interview at Oxford. I wouldn't even go to there even if I was offered a place. It's great uni but the environment at there seriously sucks for Somalis, especially for Muslims. There's soo much hostility towards Somalis at there.

What is bad about the environment there for Somalis if you don't mind me asking? What do you mean by hostility?
Reply 3986
What is bad about the environment there for Somalis if you don't mind me asking? What do you mean by hostility?

I created a thread about this a while ago.

There's many things I dislike about Oxford but main one is there's so few Muslims at Oxford, and I don't know if there are Somalis at the uni.

It seems that there's lack of understanding towards Muslims. I know this because when they asked me about my dietary requirement on the website, it had halal option so I chose that. When I went to the uni. I was served non-halal food and they tried to pass it as halal even though it's obvious. I asked for vegetarian, and guess what? They didn't even have it. So I just had an apple and yoghurt instead. This occurred at 2 different colleges, the latter college had veg option, it was plain old baked beans with potato and butter.

Another issue is, I seem to notice some hostility in the atmosphere during the interview, but that's expected. What was NOT expected is current Oxford students being involved in being hostile towards minority groups.
Original post by Rtcw
I created a thread about this a while ago.

There's many things I dislike about Oxford but main one is there's so few Muslims at Oxford, and I don't know if there are Somalis at the uni.

It seems that there's lack of understanding towards Muslims. I know this because when they asked me about my dietary requirement on the website, it had halal option so I chose that. When I went to the uni. I was served non-halal food and they tried to pass it as halal even though it's obvious. I asked for vegetarian, and guess what? They didn't even have it. So I just had an apple and yoghurt instead. This occurred at 2 different colleges, the latter college had veg option, it was plain old baked beans with potato and butter.

Another issue is, I seem to notice some hostility in the atmosphere during the interview, but that's expected. What was NOT expected is current Oxford students being involved in being hostile towards minority groups.

Interesting read! Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.
The fees are what scare me. I figure I could try and see how things go. Maybe I'll try to apply for financial aid from Canada since they have loan schemes (though I would have to pay it all back eventually.) I don't just want to apply to Oxford, but I can't say I'm too familiar with courses at universities in the UK. Are there others like PPE at other universities? I'd be OK with just studying Politics and Economics in university, but I'd prefer all three. :smile:

As for Oxford having a bad atmosphere towards Muslims, this is really upsetting to hear, but in a weird way I'm kind of used to it. Where I live in Canada there are NO Somali and NO Muslims besides my family. There's so much ignorance. People just say I look like a weird black person and ask me if I have a secret African-American name like Beyonce. Seriously. Crazy islamophobic as well-- I haven't worn the hijab since I was little because people were so hostile here.

I was kind of hoping coming to the UK would give me a chance to get to know more Somali my age, so this is a real disappointment, but I'd love to hear from anyone else about other universities in the UK/get another perspective on life at Oxford as a Somali.

Nicee :smile:. I have not applied to a uni out of the UK though have moved away from home. It must be odd leaving everything behind however I am sure you will have a great time studying and experiencing a new culture. Though international fees are pretty high "/. Are you coming to the UK only if you get into Oxford or are hoping to come here if you get into any of your other choices? Best of luck with your application!
Nice mix of choices, any idea of what you want to go into? I am doing med.

Physics :smile:
Original post by discotheque
Ah, results day is like a grey cloud looming over me. Inshallah we will get the grades we need:smile:

Best of luck sis! What alevels did you take? :smile:
The fees are what scare me. I figure I could try and see how things go. Maybe I'll try to apply for financial aid from Canada since they have loan schemes (though I would have to pay it all back eventually.) I don't just want to apply to Oxford, but I can't say I'm too familiar with courses at universities in the UK. Are there others like PPE at other universities? I'd be OK with just studying Politics and Economics in university, but I'd prefer all three. :smile:

As for Oxford having a bad atmosphere towards Muslims, this is really upsetting to hear, but in a weird way I'm kind of used to it. Where I live in Canada there are NO Somali and NO Muslims besides my family. There's so much ignorance. People just say I look like a weird black person and ask me if I have a secret African-American name like Beyonce. Seriously. Crazy islamophobic as well-- I haven't worn the hijab since I was little because people were so hostile here.

I was kind of hoping coming to the UK would give me a chance to get to know more Somali my age, so this is a real disappointment, but I'd love to hear from anyone else about other universities in the UK/get another perspective on life at Oxford as a Somali.

I take a loan to pay for my tuition fees here as it is something I could not afford otherwise. If there is some sort of funding available for you then that is great and you can concentrate on making sure your application is great! Well I just had a look around at what other universities offer PPE and I found this list http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/searchresults/. Universities that offer just politics and economics are in this list http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/searchresults/. Research the unis thoroughly including their reputation! I don't know how important reputation is abroad for your course as some courses like med it doesn't matter what university you attend but ofcourse it is always best to go the best uni that provides what you want. Oxford has a fantastic reputation and it may/may not be the place you see yourself attending. There is also a youtube account that an Oxford student who does PPE set up plus twitter about Oxford and the course, so might be worth watching a few of his clips. http://www.youtube.com/user/JamoeMills?feature=watch

Oh wow, secret name like Beyonce :colonhash:. That is some odd stuff man. Sorry to hear about your experience! Unfortunately I have no knowledge of Oxford as I have never really looked into it. I attend the University of Nottingham which does not do PPE but does a joint degree of politics and economics. So far I have spoken/seen two other somali students who do my course but apart from that haven't met any tbh. Different experience my the city I am from which has alot of somalis but it was okay. I was the only somali/muslim person (well there was another asian muslim guy) in my halls last year and I faced no problems. Never got any odd islamophobic comments or anything like that at uni or halls, I wasn't made to feel "odd" or out of place. The most I got was "Whyyy are you eating banana with rice for?!" :laugh: some flatmates tried it and didn't like it.
Physics :smile:

:unsure: I can't stand physics, I would cry if I had to do a degree in it! However enjoy and hopefully you will get in inshallah.
:unsure: I can't stand physics, I would cry if I had to do a degree in it! However enjoy and hopefully you will get in inshallah.

Haha, thanks :smile:. Hopefully I do get in, InshAllah
Well isn't this funny :biggrin:
Original post by Rtcw
Yeah it's like Chem5. It's funny that Somali man actually stopped to ask you... A Somali man gave me that strange look when I got on a bus to the uni while he was waiting for different bus.

Your favourite!? It screwed me and many other people over. So many unfamiliar questions, especially one at the end. I'm expecting a really low grade boundary.

How many is "quite few"? :\ I went to applicant visit day, there wasn't any Somalis, I didn't even see any south Asians or blacks too :frown:

I actually did the last year paper, don't really know how bad this years paper was :colondollar: But topic wise it was by far my favourite.

I actually don't know. I didn't go around counting people :tongue: Erm, again this was last years visit day.
Ah yes, the tranquility of the toilet..

LOOL, you make it sound ridiculous:biggrin:
Canada!

Cool, I have lots of Canadian cousins.
Eid Mubarak :biggrin:
Original post by Rtcw

I think I know one family that lives in the Coventry area, but that is it.
Ergh, I had a friend that went to an Oxford interview as well (for PPE) and she hated it so much she cried all the time. What do they do to people!?

Latest