The Student Room Group

Hong Kong University

Scroll to see replies

ok thx for your advice. I'm finding this such a hard choice at the moment. I think i just need to sleep on it a bit more. In the end i think there is little difference between them and I should just go with gut feeling
All the best ~
Reply 322
Hey I have similiar situation. I have an offer to study the dual degree (BEng and BBA) at HKUST and to read engineering at Imperial or go to Washington University in St. Louis in the States. Although I prefer WashU over both of them however HKUST is offering me full scholarship money so I am probably going to go there. Everything will depend on my IB scores though as my HKUST offer was 40 points. BTW does anyone how attractive an HKUST T&M Dual Degree is to a top firm in HK?

I saw some pictures of HKUST dorms and frankly they don't look too nice. Can any current students share their experiences with the dorms and the general social life at HKUST? Also I am wondering where do most people usually hang out and do people have parties in their dorms etc?

Thanks
ysbera
BTW does anyone how attractive an HKUST T&M Dual Degree is to a top firm in HK?

If the economy is good when you graduate, it should be fine. Generally, HKUST's Global Business students get the best jobs. I think it is followed by T&M. It all depends on whether you can impress the interviewer, so it's all up to you. The degree wouldn't matter that much.

I saw some pictures of HKUST dorms and frankly they don't look too nice. Can any current students share their experiences with the dorms and the general social life at HKUST? Also I am wondering where do most people usually hang out and do people have parties in their dorms etc?

The dorms are fine. There's a brand new hall that has en-suite facilities shared between 2 or 4 students. It should be open for use when you come, but I'm not 100% sure. Hall III and Hall IV has the largest rooms and the best sea views. New Hall (or Hall VI) was the newest until that brand new hall was built. It has a washbasin in each room. New hall has a more "hotel" feel to it and uses cards instead of keys. Some floors have bathrooms that are used by both males and females. But you have to attend one (or more, not too sure) hall sharing sessions (or similar) per semester. Hall I and II are the oldest and have slightly smaller rooms. I heard Hall II is not very clean... But Hall I and II have the advantages of not needing umbrellas when it rains as there are covered walkways all the way. All the halls mentioned above provide either twin or triple rooms. PG Hall II (used by undergraduates) only has twin rooms, but they are all bunk beds.

As a hall resident, you are supposed to attend a Confluence Dinner (which you have to pay for whether you go or not) every semester. There they invite some leaders in the society to share with you their experiences. Many people don't go though.

Usually exchange students have more exciting lifestyles here (holding parties, going to pubs and get drunk etc.). If you want to be more involved in hall activities you can always join the hall ex-co, which organized various activities (Halloween party, sweet soup gathering, etc.) for the residents throughout the year. However, your grades usually suffer as the workload would get quite high.

Some people sometimes play mahjong in the common room or their rooms. Can get quite annoying to me though.
Reply 324
Hm interesting. Thank you, very informative.

But yea GBus students in general get the best jobs? That seems a bit odd, T&M students receive both technical and business skills at the same time and there are some opportunities that are solely for T&M students. But yea I agree with you, it all depends on how you approach university and what you make out of it.
ysbera
Hm interesting. Thank you, very informative.

But yea GBus students in general get the best jobs? That seems a bit odd, T&M students receive both technical and business skills at the same time and there are some opportunities that are solely for T&M students. But yea I agree with you, it all depends on how you approach university and what you make out of it.

Well, take for example, I heard from my friend in GBus said that most of them have gotten a job (the "worst" of which is a Big 4 offer) despite this bad economic climate. My other friends in QFin or T&M said that quite a lot of them still couldn't find a job.

Actually, I think it's more to do with the students themselves. GBus has a high english language requirement during entry, so this definitely would have been useful during their job hunt.

So if you speak good english you don't have to worry. Get an internship or 2, an exchange, and some enriching extracurricular activities and I'm sure you'll be able to get a good job. Can you speak Cantonese and Mandarin btw?

P.S. What is your engineering major? Not civil engineering I hope?
Reply 326
Thanks again,

Haha my engineering major is probably going to be Chemical or Industrial. But leaning towards Chemical right now and yea I speak mandarin but not Cantonese though.
ysbera
Thanks again,

Haha my engineering major is probably going to be Chemical or Industrial. But leaning towards Chemical right now and yea I speak mandarin but not Cantonese though.

You're welcome. :smile:

Try to pick up Cantonese if you come here. Will be very useful. :wink:
Reply 328
mustang51hk
Are you in your AS or A2? If you are doing your A2 atm, then its probably too late to apply for HKU.

Ye, the requirement on their site is rather TOO general. You should either email them or BETTER to call straight to the faculty and find out. (It takes YEARS for them to reply through email. Trust me)

Sorry I don't know anyone who reads philo there, but if you speak good english, you have more advantage over your competitors. (Don't ask me why, thats just the way it is.)

Im currently doing my AS's. Thanks for your reply, Ill try to ring them.

Take care.
damn! I will be doing GCSE/IGCSE will they accept in HKU medicine? my predicted grades

IGCSE CIE English first lang A
IGCSE edexcel Eng Lit -
IGCSE edexcel Maths A*
IGCSE edexcel Double Science A*
IGCSE CIE Economics A
GCSE edexcel History A
GCSE edexcel Spanish A*
GCSE edexcel ResMAt A*
AIDA Merit

will this suffice? more over do i need to know cantonese? I do have a hong kong perm ID card though.
spaceman1234
damn! I will be doing GCSE/IGCSE will they accept in HKU medicine? my predicted grades

IGCSE CIE English first lang A
IGCSE edexcel Eng Lit -
IGCSE edexcel Maths A*
IGCSE edexcel Double Science A*
IGCSE CIE Economics A
GCSE edexcel History A
GCSE edexcel Spanish A*
GCSE edexcel ResMAt A*
AIDA Merit

will this suffice? more over do i need to know cantonese? I do have a hong kong perm ID card though.

I believe for medicine you do have to know cantonese though. Maybe you should direct your questions to HKU direct.
what? i can't afford to learn another language. Are there any Universities in Hk that accept you without having to learn it? thanks
spaceman1234
what? i can't afford to learn another language. Are there any Universities in Hk that accept you without having to learn it? thanks

If you do not pick medicine/dentistry or the likes, I am quite sure that you can get into HKU without any knowledge of cantonese. Think about it: How do you communicate with the patients if you can't speak cantonese?
thats depressing,
spaceman1234
thats depressing,

Maybe you can consider NUS in Singapore? :smile:
i am really stuck now, aren't there any alternative jobs i can have other than being a local doctor?
spaceman1234
i am really stuck now, aren't there any alternative jobs i can have other than being a local doctor?

You mean you want to study medicine but are willing to consider other jobs related to medicine such as research, etc?
I got an interview in HKUST next week for the dual degree program, technology and management. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice? What is the interview like? What are the questions like? stuff like that
Clomipramine
You mean you want to study medicine but are willing to consider other jobs related to medicine such as research, etc?

not really , but don't HKU offer education for medicine to international students. I really don't mind if i don't get a job as i can simply go to Korea. The thing I don't understand is why the University constantly calls out for international students if they make these cruel restrictions.
spaceman1234
not really , but don't HKU offer education for medicine to international students. I really don't mind if i don't get a job as i can simply go to Korea. The thing I don't understand is why the University constantly calls out for international students if they make these cruel restrictions.

Maybe you should e-mail them and ask. Actually 5 years is more than enough to learn and master Cantonese... Do you know Mandarin or other Chinese dialects?

So does Korea recognize foreign medical degrees? :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending