The Student Room Group

.:ocr Plan Help:.

well i am doin the OCR Plan for as level and the question for me was to show that Sulphuric acid is dibasic using both titration and gas collecting method.

for titration(dibasic) i was thinking of reacting H2SO4 with a base like sodium or potassium hydroxide and so the acid will be completely neutralized by 2 moles of those bases but for a monobasic acid(e.g. HCl) only 1 mole will be needed which will prove that H2SO4 is dibasic...am i correct in doing this???

for gas collection i will first react a carbonate(MgCO3) with a monobasic acid(HCl)and the ratio of acid used to CO2 produced with be 2:1 but for a diprotic acid it will be 1:1. So i will only need half the amount of H2SO4 compared to HCl to produce the same amount of CO2 which will again show that H2SO4 is dibasic...

are those two methods correct than???
Reply 1
no thanks...i prefer to do it myself...i just wanted some friendly advice which i just don't seem to be getting...
I'm not a bot, but I'd say you are on the right lines
Reply 3
ok...thanks...dunno why no one replied...
Reply 4
I'm doing this too, you have a much better idea than I do!!
I already posted my own question about this before I saw yours and nobody replied to mine either, granted it wasn't as long ago.

Not sure if you'll already have done yours by now. I'm just starting mine, got until friday. Try this:

http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=24568.msg95153

Seems pretty good to me! :smile:
Reply 5
I already posted my own question about this before I saw yours and nobody replied to mine either, granted it wasn't as long ago.

Not sure if you'll already have done yours by now. I'm just starting mine, got until friday. Try this:

r.m.d

Is it the A2 or AS plan?
Reply 7
@Previous post AS play

@Topic Starter

im doing this also this seems crack hard to me but for the titration your on the right lines mate this is what i was discussing with my friends earlier today :smile: but uhmm yeah we looked at tha jun 2004 practical and exam mark scheme they are practically identical i'll get my teach to send me then and i'll post them for you :smile:
Reply 8
well i am just finishing mine off now...used only magnesium metal for the gas collection in the end which gave of hydrogen of the same ratio is described before...so thanks but it's a little too late...lol...
Reply 9
Mm lol xD i'm just in college now about to start mine :P
hey, we're really confused about this... using Mg only the mass is to small as scales can only measure to 2d.p. but does co2 redesolve in h2so4(aq) !?!
Billa Bong
well i am doin the OCR Plan for as level and the question for me was to show that Sulphuric acid is dibasic using both titration and gas collecting method.

for titration(dibasic) i was thinking of reacting H2SO4 with a base like sodium or potassium hydroxide and so the acid will be completely neutralized by 2 moles of those bases but for a monobasic acid(e.g. HCl) only 1 mole will be needed which will prove that H2SO4 is dibasic...am i correct in doing this???

for gas collection i will first react a carbonate(MgCO3) with a monobasic acid(HCl)and the ratio of acid used to CO2 produced with be 2:1 but for a diprotic acid it will be 1:1. So i will only need half the amount of H2SO4 compared to HCl to produce the same amount of CO2 which will again show that H2SO4 is dibasic...

are those two methods correct than???

wer did u get the CO2 from??
Reply 12
I think you have the right idea, but in proving that the ratios are 2:1 for diprotic and 1:1 in monoprotic in both experiments, won't you be repeating yourself? I had that idea but was told that I was effectively proving the same thing twice. So I was wondering, is it possible to show that Sulphuric acid is diprotic by writing in your plan about an equivalence curve? A diprotic one would have to points of equivalence, whereas the monoprotic specimen would only have one. As long as a suitable indicator was used, the experiment could presumably be carried out accurately enough to see two clear points if a graph of Ph against concentration was plotted.

But that all seems silly. I'm out of ideas :/
Reply 13
alisajoosab91
wer did u get the CO2 from??

MgCO3 + 2HCl ----> MgCl2 + H20 + CO2

:biggrin:
Reply 14
Right, I'm doing the same thing
I have the titration done and all the calculations worked out I hope
I'm now starting the gas collection and I am really confussed and stuck.
I know that sounds silly because from what I have heard the gas collection is the simplest out of the two
I just don't know where to start
Which metal carbonate is best to use? why? and how can I prove it's dibasic from collecting CO2?

I can share any of my knowledge on the titration for this information?
No promises but yer...

A quick reply would be useful as it is due on Monday (aaaa)

I do know that we have to refer to the "Squeaky pop" test ( if any of you are aware of what this is)
Reply 15
Hi, i would be happy to help you but i have not yet started my gas collection and im having a crisis!

Its due in on monday and i have no idea about where to start with the calculations for the gas collection all i know is that i will be using Mgco3.

I reeeally need some help with the titration so here goes:

I am given a concentration of H2SO4 as 1.00 moldm3 and i have chosen to use 2.00 mol dm3 of NaOH

however i found out the moles using this calculation:
25/1000 x 2.00 = 0.05 however i then divided that by two and got 0.025 is that correct? Or do i just leave it with 0.05 the reason i divided it by 2 was because the ratio of alkali to acid is 2:1 but most people in my class have timesd their number of moles of NaOH by 2? pleaseeeee somebody help me, i feel like my whole titration is going badly.
DUE IN MONDAY!
Reply 16
Im soooo confused!!

I don't even know the metal carbonate which I'm using in my gas collection, MgCO3 looks popular in this thread so I'm thinknig I go with that?

I have only observed one gas collection before and I'm hoping the actualy experiment tommorow is a titration or I am a bit done for!

Any help would be amazingly appreciated!

Revision on the actually practical tommorow and the coursework need to be done and finished this afternoon!

AAAA

Latest