The Student Room Group

Weird A level choices

I'm currently in Year 11 and have applied for my a levels at a local 6th form. I'm planning on going to do veterinary nursing at university, so I've applied for biology (ocr) and was told there were no other subject requirements. My careers adviser suggested I do 2 other subjects that im interested in so I could hope for achievable grades, so I also applied for law (ocr) and psychology (edx). Would that combination put me at a disadvantage for applying to vet nursing? I've looked at a few uni pages and they've only said about a biology a level, so i hope this combination would be good.
Original post by outgoing-shame
I'm currently in Year 11 and have applied for my a levels at a local 6th form. I'm planning on going to do veterinary nursing at university, so I've applied for biology (ocr) and was told there were no other subject requirements. My careers adviser suggested I do 2 other subjects that im interested in so I could hope for achievable grades, so I also applied for law (ocr) and psychology (edx). Would that combination put me at a disadvantage for applying to vet nursing? I've looked at a few uni pages and they've only said about a biology a level, so i hope this combination would be good.

It would probably help to do chemistry but only if you’re decent at that subject, if it doesn’t specify any other subject then I think you’ll be fine doing the other two of your choice
If you’re worried about it you can always email the unis admissions to ask
Yeah chemistry isn't my strong point, biology is definitely the better science for me
Science/medicine type courses usually prefer you to have maths a level? That could be helpful even if it’s not a strict requirement
I dont have the gcse requirements to do a maths a level, im doing foundation, so im capped at a 5 🙄
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Reply 5
Original post by outgoing-shame
I dont have the gcse requirements to do a maths a level, im doing foundation, so im capped at a 5 🙄

Hi you could still do core maths but it’s worth half an a level
I looked into that but the sixth form doesn't offer it, the closest place that does is over 2 hours away (joys of living rural ig)

Quick Reply

Latest