The Student Room Group

Teaching myself COMPUTER SCIENCE Gcse

Hi I'm in Y10 rn and I'm trying to teach myself computer science GCSE. I'm 99% sure I want to do OCR Exam Board. Can anyone tell me what I need to know, in terms of coursework, etc. (I know OCR coursework doesn't have any marks, but still needs to be done). How do I find the coursework?

Any other help would be really appreciated. I'm planning to buy a CGP 9-1 complete revision guide.

Thank you so much x.
Original post by waterbottle999
Hi I'm in Y10 rn and I'm trying to teach myself computer science GCSE. I'm 99% sure I want to do OCR Exam Board. Can anyone tell me what I need to know, in terms of coursework, etc. (I know OCR coursework doesn't have any marks, but still needs to be done). How do I find the coursework?

Any other help would be really appreciated. I'm planning to buy a CGP 9-1 complete revision guide.

Thank you so much x.

Exam boards use the term "private candidate" for someone studying on their own (i.e. not within a school / college environment). Private candidates will need to register with an exam centre to take the actual exams, and it is this exam centre who will be be responsible for your coursework.

As OCR say here on their "Internal assessment arrangements" page (within the "private candidates" section of their site):

"Your chosen exam centre will be responsible for all aspects of the internal assessment, which includes supervision, authentication and marking. Your host centre can only accept your entry if they are willing to provide you with the opportunity to complete the internal assessment."
Original post by DataVenia
Exam boards use the term "private candidate" for someone studying on their own (i.e. not within a school / college environment). Private candidates will need to register with an exam centre to take the actual exams, and it is this exam centre who will be be responsible for your coursework.

As OCR say here on their "Internal assessment arrangements" page (within the "private candidates" section of their site):

"Your chosen exam centre will be responsible for all aspects of the internal assessment, which includes supervision, authentication and marking. Your host centre can only accept your entry if they are willing to provide you with the opportunity to complete the internal assessment."

Thanks!

Thank you so much x.

Any other tips about teaching yourself computer science GCSE greatly appreciated :smile:
Any other tips about teaching yourself computer science GCSE greatly appreciated :smile:

definitely use CS_Newbs, they summarise info really well
Reply 5
Original post by *LifeHappens*
definitely use CS_Newbs, they summarise info really well

is making flashcards for this beneficial?
Be aware that for OCR both papers are written. My school might switch board if the next class assessments go well as we are doing the programming paper on computers rather than writing it out. Which to me makes so much more sense. I hope we switch as I’d prefer to type it out than write personally as I can type quicker than I can write.
Original post by Alm_xo
is making flashcards for this beneficial?

I think flashcards would be doable, because the info is really simplified, but when making the flashcards always refer to the specification and past paper questions - because there might be a certain differently worded/challenging question that you could use to better summarise the topic on the flashcard

Quick Reply

Latest