The Student Room Group

AQA A-level Biology 7402 - Paper 3 - 17th June 2019

Scroll to see replies

Guys im looking at the a level specification and it says for paper 3 and it says:
38 marks: structured

questions, including
practical techniques
15 marks: critical analysis
of given experimental data
25 marks: one essay from
a choice of two titles
so i would say do loads and loads of practical, maths and data analysis questions as i feel they are going to have questions where sometimes you need common sense so familarise urself with this. what im going to do: learn all as and a2 content with topic q on the 14th, do essay planning and practical/data q and topic q on 15th, do essay planning and pure practical/data/maths q on 16th. what do you all think? because for the other 2 papers this was what they said was going to be on the paper:
76 marks: a mixture of
short and long answer
questions
so i dont think too much content is gonna be on the actual questions itself, but make ur self familiar with all the content for the essay.
Reply 41
I wonder if anyone else here does this method too then curious to know, might try it on a practice paper, and hope your retake is successful best of luck :smile:
Original post by Sophie1818171
I’m retaking so this is my second time doing these exams and that’s the advice my teachers have always told me and I find works best for me. I tend to just make a little spider diagram on the question I think I like and add a couple ideas to it, then build on it. It helps having it in the back of your mind as you can think oh what topics will be good and things like that! You can always spend these next few days doing lots of essay plans so you have some frame works for some general questions.
Thank you I hope so too!! Hope it goes well for you and these tips help - practice papers are definitely a good way to test it out :smile:
Original post by Azeee
I wonder if anyone else here does this method too then curious to know, might try it on a practice paper, and hope your retake is successful best of luck :smile:
I do this method too :smile: im retaking bio this yr too and our teacher said read the title first so u dont freak out after doing the whole paper and so u can familiarise as sophie said with the actual essay question. then as u do all the paper, ur revision starts coming back to ur head and u start getting ideas without realising like 'ohhh this could be such a good point for the essay' and then by the time u get to the essay u feel much more confident and relaxed. u should spend 45 mins on the essay but while ur doing the questions first, ull be subconsciously planning the essay without even knowing in ur head so defo do this!
Original post by Azeee
Original post by Azeee
Thanks for these - I do think cycles might come up in questions since we've gotten very little nitrogen/phosphorus/cardiac/etc. this year so far.

Having said that, didn't cycles of biology come up in a recent essay for a previous paper? Or was that old spec?

Also do you not think immune system/phagocytosis is a big topic that might come up? Wasn't really on the paper 1 except for that HIV question.

Cycles was last seen in the old spec BIOL5 paper, June 13 i think, or something around then so has a very good chance of popping up.

Immune system was a big part of June 2017 paper 1 and also June 2018 paper 1, so i've taken the previous 2 years into account. However, it would a good idea to still be confident in these! :smile:
https://www.aqa.org.uk/resources/science/as-and-a-level/biology-7401-7402/assess/assessment-guides-essays
this includes all the previous essay titles and mark schemes, marking guidance, what AQA wanna see and not see in the essay and 10 real marked specimen answers.
Original post by Azeee
Also just wanted to ask a few questions about the essay:

How long is ideal to spend on the essay out of the 2 hours we get? And will you be doing the questions first or essay first?

How much should we be aiming to write and how many topics? (I've been told at least 3 sides with 4-5 relevant topics puts you in a good position to get into the top band, and content outside the spec is required to get into the uppermost mark of this band)

Also kinda concerned about how much detail we should be going into for each topic and at what point to just move on to the next...and whether you should relate concepts outside of the scope of the question - for example, talking about ATP a little bit in the context of why the phosphorus cycle is important, if we're given cycles in biology - would this be considered off-topic and thus drop an essay down to the next band? Unsure about these things.

1. The advice is 45 mins so I would stick to this. 5 mins planning, 35 mins writing, 5 mins proof-reading (with some latitude where apt).

2. What you've been told seems about right - 4 to 5 topics and at least one or two off the spec ones if you wish (but be confident if doing this).

3. Talking about ATP would not be off spec at all! In fact, you should be talking about it!. If the question is on the importance of the phosphorus cycle then you need to state that the phosphate (reformed in the cycle) is needed to build ATP and other nucleic acids and then explain why that is important and why ATP is needed. If you can "push the button" for other topics while doing this, so with ATP nodding at the idea that ATP is needed to phosphorylate important examples of enzymes (eg. respiratory enzymes), and that ATP allows for muscle contraction, this will be a thematical, synoptic link which is top band.

However, the last thing is tricky to do as you dont want to avoid being off topic. This comes with practice and also common sense. Don't write 12 lines on how the sliding filament theory works, as that is irrelevant to an essay on phosphate ions. But, saying ATP is needed for the the reaction is relevant.

I did my papers last year, and in my Paper 3 I did the essay last but the order you do it in is your choice.
Yeah loads of people do this method. You won’t realise but your brain is subconsciously planning what to say in the question. By the time you get to it ideas may just flow out (happens with me). I did that for my English Literature a-level because it’s all just ESSAYS.
Original post by Azeee
Original post by Virolite
if anyone has the locked aqa alevel specimen papers would be great

Bit late, but do you still want them?
Reply 49
Can I get them please? Any papers 3s especially
Original post by tsunderhi_
Bit late, but do you still want them?
Original post by Azeee
Can I get them please? Any papers 3s especially

Yeah there’s a Chem and Bio paper 3. Just pm your email x
Reply 51
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRcYXoSOTqdO3Z2lMiAgTP9IGnkNBYDt- for bio essay with examples
Original post by tsunderhi_
Yeah loads of people do this method. You won’t realise but your brain is subconsciously planning what to say in the question. By the time you get to it ideas may just flow out (happens with me). I did that for my English Literature a-level because it’s all just ESSAYS.
Reply 52
The poll has been updated! Vote on how you found the paper :ninja:

I hope the exam went well for everyone :yep:
yes
looking through past papers, where does it actually require you to know any practicals before hand? it seems to just be analysing practicals that they have already given
I think I'm going to look at the essay question straight away at the start and start thinking of what I could write while doing the rest of the paper
hi mate, just wondering where you get your practical/data/math based questions? i dont wanna have to pick my way through loads of past papers and search for them, do you have a source of these kind of questions?
Original post by Jp Ahmad
Guys im looking at the a level spehcification and it says for paper 3 and it says:
38 marks: structured

questions, including
practical techniques
15 marks: critical analysis
of given experimental data
25 marks: one essay from
a choice of two titles
so i would say do loads and loads of practical, maths and data analysis questions as i feel they are going to have questions where sometimes you need common sense so familarise urself with this. what im going to do: learn all as and a2 content with topic q on the 14th, do essay planning and practical/data q and topic q on 15th, do essay planning and pure practical/data/maths q on 16th. what do you all think? because for the other 2 papers this was what they said was going to be on the paper:
76 marks: a mixture of
short and long answer
questions
so i dont think too much content is gonna be on the actual questions itself, but make ur self familiar with all the content for the essay.
Reply 57
Hey what graphs do we need to know for the cardiac cycle?
Original post by aleveler2
hi mate, just wondering where you get your practical/data/math based questions? i dont wanna have to pick my way through loads of past papers and search for them, do you have a source of these kind of questions?

Mathsmadeeasy has a whole pdf of them. Just search around on the site
Reply 59
Do we think gas exchange could come up? i don't remember there being any/much in paper 1

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending