The Student Room Group

English language paper 2 q2 and 3 marking

hi everyone! this is my first post on tsr but I've been visiting it often since I think its really helpful, especially with gcse's which is what I'll be doing soon!

I posted this because I really need help with my English language paper 2. I feel like what I do at school isn't really helping me a lot since I'm still unsure on how to structure my work and time management. But if anyone could, please give my work a read and let me know what grade/ mark you would give me and how I can improve. thank you so much! :smile:

I'll link the paper, insert and mark scheme below! btw, this is the 2019 paper 2

https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-papers-and-mark-schemes/2019/june/AQA-87002-QP-JUN19.PDF ( paper)

https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-papers-and-mark-schemes/2019/june/AQA-87002-INS-JUN19.PDF (insert)

https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-papers-and-mark-schemes/2019/june/AQA-87002-W-MS-JUN19.PDF (mark scheme)

ps: my work for some questions 3 is incomplete but please read it anyways and let me know what mark I would get if I continued with 2 or 3 more paragraphs of the same quality. thanks!

-------
Question 2) You need to refer to both Source A and Source B for this question. The writers in Source A and Source B are travelling on very different types of boat. Use details from both sources to write a summary of what you understand about the different boats. (8 marks)

In source A, it is abundantly clear that the boats which the two authors are travelling on are vastly different because although the boat in Source A is small, it is designed for safety unlike the steamship in source B which is large yet massively unsafe. In source A although the boat cannot withstand the ‘towering waves’ it is able to ‘(spring) upright’ again. This highlights how although the boat itself is small enough to be ‘enveloped’ by the save, it is much more technologically advanced and is designed for the safety of its passengers because it was able to right itself in the ‘churning surf’. However, the steamship in source B is shown as much larger but hugely unstable and unsafe as the author believes it would ‘turn over once and for all’ if an accident were to happen. The irony of a large boat being unstable illustrates that although a boat may be large, it does not necessarily guarantee that it will be safe for its passengers and is technologically advanced enough to ensure the safety of the people onboard. Thus it is clear that the boats in source A and B are vastly different as one is small yet ensures the safety of its passengers yet the other is large but extremely unsafe for its passengers.

Question 3) You need to refer only to Source A from lines 16 to 26. How does the writer use language to describe the power of the sea?

In source A, the power of the sea is shown as overwhelming and stronger than humans and man- made objects. This is highlighted through how the ‘white water tower(ed) above (the) tiny boat.’ The adjective ‘white’ seems to portray the water as a peaceful, comforting thing which is ironic as in reality, the water crushed the boat. The juxtaposition of the large wave of water and the ‘tiny’ boat highlights how the men and the boat are almost inferior to the water and cannot ever dream of matching its strength and power. The vast size difference stands to highlight and truly emphasise the vulnerability of the men and how they ,and the boat, are at the mercy of the sea. Furthermore, the act of the ‘churning surf envelop(ing) the stem of the boat.’ once more illustrates how the chaotic water completely overwhelmes and crushes the men and the boat. The verb ‘envelop(ing)’ shows how the men are almost trapped by the ocean as it surrounds them from all sides and eliminates the chance to seek safety or to escape the sea.

second point in brief:
- The sea seems to gain its power from its tumultuous and chaotic motions
'churning surf' - adj (shows the unstable and unpredictable nature of the sea. semantic field of unease, discomfort and uncertainty. may foreshadow how something dangerous or violent is about to happen)
'tumbled through the surf' (unpredictable and disorganised movement. men are thrown around carelessly by the sea)
'spun around roughly like clothes in a washing machine' - simile (emphasise power of sea and its careless treatment toward the men and the boat as it is superior than them. shows tumultuous nature of sea)

------
I'm current working on my question 4 so I'll see how that goes! Any feedback is appreciated - thank you so much!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by floppedfish
hi everyone! this is my first post on tsr but I've been visiting it often since I think its really helpful, especially with gcse's which is what I'll be doing soon!

I posted this because I really need help with my English language paper 2. I feel like what I do at school isn't really helping me a lot since I'm still unsure on how to structure my work and time management. But if anyone could, please give my work a read and let me know what grade/ mark you would give me and how I can improve. thank you so much! :smile:

I'll link the paper, insert and mark scheme below! btw, this is the 2019 paper 2

https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-papers-and-mark-schemes/2019/june/AQA-87002-QP-JUN19.PDF ( paper)

https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-papers-and-mark-schemes/2019/june/AQA-87002-INS-JUN19.PDF (insert)

https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-papers-and-mark-schemes/2019/june/AQA-87002-W-MS-JUN19.PDF (mark scheme)

ps: my work for some questions 3 is incomplete but please read it anyways and let me know what mark I would get if I continued with 2 or 3 more paragraphs of the same quality. thanks!

-------
Question 2) You need to refer to both Source A and Source B for this question. The writers in Source A and Source B are travelling on very different types of boat. Use details from both sources to write a summary of what you understand about the different boats. (8 marks)

In source A, it is abundantly clear that the boats which the two authors are travelling on are vastly different because although the boat in Source A is small, it is designed for safety unlike the steamship in source B which is large yet massively unsafe. In source A although the boat cannot withstand the ‘towering waves’ it is able to ‘(spring) upright’ again. This highlights how although the boat itself is small enough to be ‘enveloped’ by the save, it is much more technologically advanced and is designed for the safety of its passengers because it was able to right itself in the ‘churning surf’. However, the steamship in source B is shown as much larger but hugely unstable and unsafe as the author believes it would ‘turn over once and for all’ if an accident were to happen. The irony of a large boat being unstable illustrates that although a boat may be large, it does not necessarily guarantee that it will be safe for its passengers and is technologically advanced enough to ensure the safety of the people onboard. Thus it is clear that the boats in source A and B are vastly different as one is small yet ensures the safety of its passengers yet the other is large but extremely unsafe for its passengers.

Question 3) You need to refer only to Source A from lines 16 to 26. How does the writer use language to describe the power of the sea?

In source A, the power of the sea is shown as overwhelming and stronger than humans and man- made objects. This is highlighted through how the ‘white water tower(ed) above (the) tiny boat.’ The adjective ‘white’ seems to portray the water as a peaceful, comforting thing which is ironic as in reality, the water crushed the boat. The juxtaposition of the large wave of water and the ‘tiny’ boat highlights how the men and the boat are almost inferior to the water and cannot ever dream of matching its strength and power. The vast size difference stands to highlight and truly emphasise the vulnerability of the men and how they ,and the boat, are at the mercy of the sea. Furthermore, the act of the ‘churning surf envelop(ing) the stem of the boat.’ once more illustrates how the chaotic water completely overwhelmes and crushes the men and the boat. The verb ‘envelop(ing)’ shows how the men are almost trapped by the ocean as it surrounds them from all sides and eliminates the chance to seek safety or to escape the sea.

second point in brief:
- The sea seems to gain its power from its tumultuous and chaotic motions
'churning surf' - adj (shows the unstable and unpredictable nature of the sea. semantic field of unease, discomfort and uncertainty. may foreshadow how something dangerous or violent is about to happen)
'tumbled through the surf' (unpredictable and disorganised movement. men are thrown around carelessly by the sea)
'spun around roughly like clothes in a washing machine' - simile (emphasise power of sea and its careless treatment toward the men and the boat as it is superior than them. shows tumultuous nature of sea)

------
I'm current working on my question 4 so I'll see how that goes! Any feedback is appreciated - thank you so much!

awww this helped

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending