The Student Room Group

IAS Biology Chemistry 2019 May/June Discussion

Scroll to see replies

i see thank you very muchh
Original post by Roha125
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-advanced-levels/biology-2018.coursematerials.html#filterQuery=Pearson-UK:Category%2FTeaching-and-learning-materials

Download the Mapping Guide.It does not say much about Paper 3 but core practicals are the once you most for Unit 3.Did you read the Lab Book,it might be highly helpful.

Major things will microscope eyepiece calc.,Cell drawing from picture,Maths-heterozygous index,allel frequency.And graph graph graph
waitttttttt
what happend to the graph, did they change it?
i am soo lost
Original post by Roha125
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-advanced-levels/biology-2018.coursematerials.html#filterQuery=Pearson-UK:Category%2FTeaching-and-learning-materials

Download the Mapping Guide.It does not say much about Paper 3 but core practicals are the once you most for Unit 3.Did you read the Lab Book,it might be highly helpful.

Major things will microscope eyepiece calc.,Cell drawing from picture,Maths-heterozygous index,allel frequency.And graph graph graph
Reply 22
No lol
I was just kidding,now each paper has more graphs then ever.And i saw some questions in "checked AS papers by examiners" where marks for graph explaination is high (5/6) and marks scheme points were differently structured.Screenshot_2019-04-25-21-59-27.png
Original post by Ailurophile03
waitttttttt
what happend to the graph, did they change it?
i am soo lost
hahah i seee now, thank you!
sorry for the trouble, really appreciate for the help!
Original post by Roha125
No lol
I was just kidding,now each paper has more graphs then ever.And i saw some questions in "checked AS papers by examiners" where marks for graph explaination is high (5/6) and marks scheme points were differently structured.Screenshot_2019-04-25-21-59-27.png
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQCj1UK4zyY
here is a video on plan diagram hope it helps
check out his other videos on top mistake that students make in IAS bio or the graph video, if u have problem with the graph
hope it helps!
can u please send me the link of thiss qp
Original post by Roha125
No lol
hello
how are you revising for bio unit 3?
i am so confused what to study apart from the lab book and the sample qp
Reply 29
Doing the same thing.
Also revising Question Number 1 of old QP.
Watching Youtube vids on plant diagram,experiments.Doing Microscope Maths.
hello
how are you revising for bio unit 3?
i am so confused what to study apart from the lab book and the sample qp
yeah same
i watched some plant video but didnt find any good, did u?
Original post by Roha125
Doing the same thing.
Also revising Question Number 1 of old QP.
Watching Youtube vids on plant diagram,experiments.Doing Microscope Maths.
Reply 32
1556909674679-2048518474.jpg
What the f is a reference doing here.
I am so confused.
lol, i was asking the same question to my tutor yesterday
she said she has no idea but at least now we know that we need to know how to cite reference:biggrin:
do you know whether we need to know the implication and issues (such as ethical issues, social issue etc)
i feel more prepared for chem thn bio, i see, to lose mark in bio for some weird question which has nothing to do with bio on the first place
Original post by Roha125
1556909674679-2048518474.jpg
What the f is a reference doing here.
I am so confused.
Reply 34
Yep we need those implicationsScreenshot_2019-05-04-10-36-15.png
lol, i was asking the same question to my tutor yesterday
she said she has no idea but at least now we know that we need to know how to cite reference:biggrin:
do you know whether we need to know the implication and issues (such as ethical issues, social issue etc)
i feel more prepared for chem thn bio, i see, to lose mark in bio for some weird question which has nothing to do with bio on the first place
i really need help with the implication
how do u know what to write for the implication and more over what is the difference between ethical and social implication
Original post by Roha125
Yep we need those implicationsScreenshot_2019-05-04-10-36-15.png
Reply 36
Before i used to read the whole text and find points which suits the categories of Environmental,Ethical,Social and Economical.

Economical-Anything involving money,even if it saving or methods(named) being more expensive

Environmental-Use of renewable substance,CO2 emission.,Biodiversity increase or decrease,Habitat destroyed or restored,Harm to animals causing food chain disruption,GM plants usage,soil erosion

Ethical-Abortion,Genetic engineering,False Positive/Negative result,religious restrictions,consent,animal testing.

Social-Involves People and their well being.Examples from marks scheme-Longer lifespan,bonding with family,health improved,less depression,Money saved from method(named) so more money can be spent on family,Learning more,affect on family,loss of home.

Yes i know sometimes both feel similar but try to separate them by seeing ethical as being cruel and immoral while social would be the one that effects a person personally/psychological.
To answer most of this i used to look for them in passage given and they do leave some clues like quoting the word "social" directly in the passage.But know no passage will be given so i am guessing they will give short 1 or 2 paragraphs and it will be filled with implications and we will have to just write them in good coherent english.
i really need help with the implication
how do u know what to write for the implication and more over what is the difference between ethical and social implication
Original post by Roha125
Before i used to read the whole text and find points which suits the categories of Environmental,Ethical,Social and Economical.

Economical-Anything involving money,even if it saving or methods(named) being more expensive

Environmental-Use of renewable substance,CO2 emission.,Biodiversity increase or decrease,Habitat destroyed or restored,Harm to animals causing food chain disruption,GM plants usage,soil erosion

Ethical-Abortion,Genetic engineering,False Positive/Negative result,religious restrictions,consent,animal testing.

Social-Involves People and their well being.Examples from marks scheme-Longer lifespan,bonding with family,health improved,less depression,Money saved from method(named) so more money can be spent on family,Learning more,affect on family,loss of home.

Yes i know sometimes both feel similar but try to separate them by seeing ethical as being cruel and immoral while social would be the one that effects a person personally/psychological.
To answer most of this i used to look for them in passage given and they do leave some clues like quoting the word "social" directly in the passage.But know no passage will be given so i am guessing they will give short 1 or 2 paragraphs and it will be filled with implications and we will have to just write them in good coherent english.
Reply 38
1557040036275-912367167.jpgScreenshot_2019-05-05-12-08-50.png
In biodiversity index formula,
Our books denotes N as number of organism in all specise
But the specimen paper denotes N as number of specise.Which to follow.Moreover books has an exam hint which makes things more confusing
why is everyone studying for unit 2 when we have unit 3 tomorrow?
i guess y'all nailed paper 3
or do we also have this diversity index there?:eek:
i still didnt do this paper, left it for the end.
how did they find 11?

(Original post by Roha125)
1557040036275-912367167.jpgScreenshot_2019-05-05-12-08-50.png
In biodiversity index formula,
Our books denotes N as number of organism in all specise
But the specimen paper denotes N as number of specise.Which to follow.Moreover books has an exam hint which makes things more confusing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending