The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Some people say that tall people are mean to small people; what's your opinion?

Scroll to see replies

I think tall people can make others feel uncomfortable.

Being tall definitely gives you a bit more power- people do tend to listen to tall people more than short people, I think, and this is born out by the fact that company directors do tend to be taller on average than the regular people, there was a study done on this a year or two ago with some quite striking results.

Kids will always make fun of other people's personal characteristics- be it a big nose, height, hairy arms or whatever. Your schoolmates will soon grow up though.
Reply 21
animallover222
I would class myself as being tall at 5" 11, 15 years old and I am the tallest girl in my school. My two best friends are 5”3 and most of my other friends are around the same height. Someone said on a post I read that tall girls are always mean to small girls about their height.
I think this is totally wrong and some of the comments people said about tall people made me feel quite annoyed. Someone said that tall girls are horrible and they just like to laugh at small people and make them feel insure.
Most tall people feel insecure about their own height, like me I hate being the height I am; I can never find clothes or shoes to fit it’s a nightmare and I hate always standing out. I would swap with anyone’s height who is 5” 5 any day if I could.
The reason why sometime tall people will say something about smaller peoples height is because they normally start it off (it may not be in any case but I have never gone to a smaller person than me and laughed at them.) When I am hanging around with my friends and we are standing up they normally say something about my height like “god why are you so tall” or “Can’t you shrink” or “lanky” and it does really annoy me because I didn’t decided to be my height and I already am self-conscious about my height. So sometime I will say something the lines of “Why are you so small? Why don’t you grow?” I don’t mean to be mean when I say it it’s just the same as what they say just the other way around.
And someone on the other post also said that all tall people seem to be arrogant. I don’t think they are; I am a nice person and when someone says that it’s just stereotypical and not right.
I don’t know any girls my age that are my height so it makes me feel that I’m different.
The only time when I have really heard people talking about height always is the tall guys who laugh at the smaller girls. And when I am walking down the street sometime I hear people shouting lanky, it’s when I’m walking with my brother most time because he is 6”7 but my parents are both smaller than me. But when you see allot of smaller people than I am I don’t shout ‘shortie’ and I never hear that when I see small people no1 calls them.
My opinion is only one sided because I don’t know what it feels like to be smaller than most people in your year because I’ve always been the tallest, but I think my opinion is fair because I also looked at it as not a tall person as well. Even though smaller people can feel awkward in your presence, I never mention anyone’s height unless something is said about me.
What is your opinion on this topic? (Sorry I can ramble on when I get started.)
:smile:

no one should be mean to anyone.
Reply 22
kiddranc
no one should be mean to anyone.

agreed with that :smile:

but its the word 'should'.
Theres alot of things we should do in life but it never works out!
Reply 23
Cowberg
They got little hands and little eyes. They got baby legs that stand so low, they wear platform shoes on their nasty little feet. They got grubby fingers and dirty little minds. Short people got nobody to love.
LOL I love that song. It was on Ally McBeal once. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1NvgLkuEtkA
I think some people might jokingly say "aw you are so small" or whatever, but in most cases nobody means anything by it.

I couldn't give a crap if somebody is 4ft or 6ft, as long as they are a nice person I'll befriend them.
Reply 25
I'm 6ft and I've never heard anyone say that tall people are mean to short people. How weird!
Stace-is-Ace
Also...most taller girls wouldn't really want to be with a shorter guy...would they?

I'm 5'7" (which is kinda short for a guy, but not dramatic), my girlfriend is a bit over 5'10" (tall for a girl). So it does happen.

Anyway, I don't think anyone has ever mocked my girlfriend's height, probably cause she was an all-district basketball player in high school and you wouldn't want to mess with her. In fact, everything guys say when she walks past is positive (pretty sure the DDs help with that). :wink:
What small people are mean! Especially small women, they are so intimidating (not all, but some)!! Us poor tall people...well what can i say :frown: we are victimised!
Im small and most people are nice to me.
Much much harder being a short guy than a short girl.
Duran
Much much harder being a short guy than a short girl.

It's all about confidence for a guy.
Reply 31
This sounds like something out of an Ally McBeal episode! :biggrin:

I'm of average/slightly above normal height and have friends of all sizes and wouldn't ever comment on their size if I thought they were uncomfortable about it in anyway, but they're fine with being short, so there is some playful name-calling but nothing meant in a mean or cruel manner.
I'm 5'9 and I've heard a few comments. People are a little startled when they first see me because they think I'm going to beat them up or something. "How's the weather up there?", "Don't crush me", "Oh, s***", all that. I'm sick of it. Yes, tall people can beat people up, but that doesn't mean that they will or that they want to. And how would everyone else feel if we made short jokes? Not so funny, is it?

Latest

Trending

Trending