The Student Room Group

OCR A-Level Biology Paper 3 17th June 2019 - Unified Biology [Unofficial Markscheme]

Scroll to see replies

Yh and if they wanted diameter it would have been four marks. I literally counted the marks per step
Original post by Muudeey
No because the substrate is trying to go into the centre of the cylinder.
Yes i also got the same but double thought and wrote xylem and phloem nowing full well it wasnt, and then changed it (i think!) this paper was a shambles
Original post by Kwaku54
1. Nucleusous and Vaculoe
Magnification I got 14
Yeah i got 14,000 too for magnification. 0.80 for the diffuse pathway thing. 50 for bacterial thing at the end. Spores & vector last question. I got two trues and two falses for that box question ... I said don’t use mean because data is nominal not interval .. ( think this is wrong tho) .
Magnification = 14000x as 2.0x10^-2/1.4x10^-6, Serial dilution I got 5 colonies. Pathway I got 0.8mm.
Question 1: Permanent vacuole, Nucleolus, x14000, Magnification not stated, use continuous lines only, no title, no shading etc.
Some other questions I remember
Staining question.
Naked moles body temp is similar to the environment, not the same for most mammals,

Using the mean is more valid because it takes into account the extreme values. Median and mode disregard extreme values and so not all of the data is used hence not as accurate? (Not entirely sure)

Use Unpaired Students T Test to compare the means and see if the difference between the values is significant or not.
Anitbodies usually have 2 binding sites not 3, antibodies have 2 light polypeptide chains not 3? (not sure about the 2nd point)
0.79 for the length of the cell which is < 1 so the organism can rely on diffusion alone.

50 colonies (not sure if its 50 or 5)
Second to last question: Suggest why the student's estimate of the colonies is inaccurate or something?
Last question: Vector, Spores
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by b987535
lol pretty sure spores arent reproductive

Lol they are. Spores is the correct answer.
What do you think grade boundaries will be?
Magnification 14000
Diffusion distance 1.6? (2xradius) so could not diffusion
Air space? Nucleus
50 colonies
Vector and spores
Transducer since it could convert one form on energy into a different form I.e chemical to electrical
Don’t use the mean since it was affected by one of the results in the first column

Original post by Silent0239
I couldn't find a thread for today's paper and I am really curious what y'all put for your answers.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 28
What's the word for a cold adapted biological molecule?
I found paper 3 to be the hardest of the 3 papers :/
What did everyone else think?
Yeah same, definitely harder in comparison (at least for me anyway)
Original post by Xx_InZain_xX
I found paper 3 to be the hardest of the 3 papers :/
What did everyone else think?
lower than last year unified, potentially even lower than 2017!
I said something about hypothermia below optimum conditions for enzymes so less heat generated and therefore body continues to cool down.
Original post by Muudeey
For positive feedback I talked about the enzymes and metabolic reactions(heat is created). Everything else I got similar answers.
Original post by nonoui

i put enviromental adaptations pretty sure its wrong tho
What were the units for the enzyme reaction? I put cm^2/s not a clue though.
Original post by EmmaCAnt124
Stain improvement : Wet mount procedure , add stain from the side of the cover slip , use more than on stain.
- biological drawing improvements : State magnification , do not add details to organelles , add scale , Make sure drawings are an accurate representation of actual image ( eg rectangle vs circlw)

lol definitally got really low marks on this paper
Original post by Xx_InZain_xX
What were the units for the enzyme reaction? I put cm^2/s not a clue though.

i got that too i think
Same it was a suggest a units question.
Original post by Stormragexox
i got that too i think
Tbh for the 6 marker I wrote that environmental factors that lead to a weaker immune response are things like immune suppressant drugs, HIV, diet. Strong immune response would be things like vaccination.

For genetics I wrote about inherited illnesses e.g cystic fibrosis, ethnicity, diabetes I.
i said anatomical
Original post by nonoui

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending