The Student Room Group

OCR A- Level Biology 2023

Calling all biologists! We have 65 days until our first exam! How is everyone preparing for biology? Share your tips and feel free to ask each other any biology related questions in this thread😁🧬

Biology Exam Dates as a reminder:
07/06/23 Biological Processes
16/06/23 Biological Diversity
21/06/23 Unified Biology

OCR A Level Biology Spec: https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/171736-specification-accredited-a-level-gce-biology-a-h420.pdf
(edited 10 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
FEELING COMPLETELY STRESSED OUT for bio honestly dont know how to revise for bio just need a B in it and I'll be fine hopefully
Original post by Oz999
FEELING COMPLETELY STRESSED OUT for bio honestly dont know how to revise for bio just need a B in it and I'll be fine hopefully

I totally get you! I need an A and I’m stressing out! I was half decent at biology in year 12 and them I did A2 content :frown:
Original post by Oz999

Have you looked at the questions on PMT?
hi, I am going through all the topics I've finished this easter break plus pmt questions for module 2, 3, and 5 (hopefully)
Im also using mr Murray biology's mind map templates to make a cheat sheet for each topic to run through every other day and im feeling stressed about module 6 and 4 because I hate that kind of theoretical content!
Original post by Neymarswho1730
Hi Everybody! We have 65 days until our first exam! How is everyone preparing for biology? Share your tips and feel free to ask any questions in this thread😁
(edited 1 year ago)
hey guys! i finished my ocr a biology last year and there’s a website called studymind which has practice papers sorted by topic and it was really helpful for the topics i struggled with :smile:
Original post by siahateskwl
hi, I am going through all the topics I've finished this easter break plus pmt questions for module 2, 3, and 5 (hopefully)
Im also using mr Murray biology's mind map templates to make a cheat sheet for each topic to run through every other day and im feeling stressed about module 6 and 4 because I hate that kind of theoretical content!

Same they are very content heavy modules! I guess they link quite well together so a lot of the stuff is applied
Original post by okayykayy
hey guys! i finished my ocr a biology last year and there’s a website called studymind which has practice papers sorted by topic and it was really helpful for the topics i struggled with :smile:

Thank you!
Original post by Neymarswho1730
Calling all biologists! We have 65 days until our first exam! How is everyone preparing for biology? Share your tips and feel free to ask each other any biology related questions in this thread😁🧬

Biology Exam Dates as a reminder:
07/06/23 Biological Processes
16/06/23 Biological Diversity
21/06/23 Unified Biology

OCR A Level Biology Spec: https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/171736-specification-accredited-a-level-gce-biology-a-h420.pdf

Ahhhh it’s too closeee 😭 I’m just glad we also have the may half term to cram lol 😂 Any predictions for the 6 markers guys?
Original post by starrynight01
Ahhhh it’s too closeee 😭 I’m just glad we also have the may half term to cram lol 😂 Any predictions for the 6 markers guys?

I haven’t even thought about the 6 marker, I’m just trying to get through content🥲
Hiii everyone! how do people revise for paper 3? just think that it's so much trickier than papers 1 and 2 somehow:frown: and the 6 markers as well, any tips? thanks!!! :smile:
Original post by dyingggg
Hiii everyone! how do people revise for paper 3? just think that it's so much trickier than papers 1 and 2 somehow:frown: and the 6 markers as well, any tips? thanks!!! :smile:

Hi, I just did a past paper 3.

What I suggest is read the question very carefully and look out for graphs.

Paper 2 and paper 3 have many graphs and in paper 3 they are very confusing graphs with 2 y axis (one on the left and right). Make sure you read the correct values on the correct y axis.

Also - I suggest remembering stuff on validity, repeatability, precision, accuracy etc, because they are loads of those type of questions on paper 3, and even on the mock we did. Remember about statistical tests, control values and make sure to just spam them to get easy marks :biggrin:.

I am just doing a load of past papers then revising on studymind on the specific topics I struggle on.

Also when doing past papers, make sure you mark it thoroughly and do not give yourself BOD marks (Benefit of the Doubt). It may not get given because every examiner is different, try and use specific terminology and you should get easy marks.
thank you that's really helpful!! :smile:
btw for topics about manipulating genomes do you guys just memorise all the processes of gel electrophoresis, DNA profiling etc? this is my worst and least favourite topic :frown:
Original post by Fck_Itz_Ash

Paper 2 and paper 3 have many graphs and in paper 3 they are very confusing graphs with 2 y axis (one on the left and right). Make sure you read the correct values on the correct y axis.

Also - I suggest remembering stuff on validity, repeatability, precision, accuracy etc, because they are loads of those type of questions on paper 3, and even on the mock we did. Remember about statistical tests, control values and make sure to just spam them to get easy marks :biggrin:.

I am just doing a load of past papers then revising on studymind on the specific topics I struggle on.

Also when doing past papers, make sure you mark it thoroughly and do not give yourself BOD marks (Benefit of the Doubt). It may not get given because every examiner is different, try and use specific terminology and you should get easy marks.
Original post by dyingggg
thank you that's really helpful!! :smile:
btw for topics about manipulating genomes do you guys just memorise all the processes of gel electrophoresis, DNA profiling etc? this is my worst and least favourite topic :frown:

Yes, pretty much.

I remember there was a question that asked for a comparison of electrophoresis compared to TLC in a past paper, so make sure you remember all of the different methods. They could ask us stuff on that.
Heya!
As general advice for bio, first, make sure you are happy with the content. If you feel like you are unsure about 1 topic, go through it again and do practice questions on that specific topic until you feel comfortable with it. :h: Generally, it's a good idea to do practice questions for every topic, starting from your weakest one and working up. :smile: There are plenty of resources online that can help you, as an example, Study Mind has lots of free bio revision notes and practice questions for everyone to use.

Remember to take lots of breaks between your revision sessions!

Good luck everyone!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Hi everyone!

Is anyone doing the textbook questions in the OCR A book?
Yes, pretty much.

I remember there was a question that asked for a comparison of electrophoresis compared to TLC in a past paper, so make sure you remember all of the different methods. They could ask us stuff on that.

oh gosh, alright thank you!
What do we actually need to know for biotechnology, the textbook has so much stuff and I can’t distinguish between what’s necessary and what isn’t

Hey,

How would you go about memorising those things about validity, repeatability, statistical tests etc. I'm also always confused on when to include them in my answers.

Thanks.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending