The Student Room Group

OCR A-Level Biology Paper 3 17th June 2019 - Unified Biology [Unofficial Markscheme]

Scroll to see replies

Yeah I wrote cm^2 s-1 too
Original post by Stormragexox
i got that too i think
Plant Cell - Air Gaps and Nucleus
Diagram - Don't Shade and Connect Lines?

Immune System effected by genes and environment -
Genes:
- Sickle Cell Anemia prevents Malaria
- Autoimmune Disease?
Environment:
-Social factors can effect transmission of communicable diseases like HIV, can be prevented by good healthcare and education
- Living conditions, TB can infect alot of people crowded together in small spaces
- Climate, Malaria ideal in tropical regions as ideal for mosquitoes which are malaria vectors.

Advantages of Microorganisms -
- Can grow in waste helping environment and cheap source of food for the microorganisms
- Animals take alot of resources and time, microorganisms don't
- Take up less space for more produce
- Vegitarian option?

Cells Calc. - 50
Fill Gaps - Vectors and Spores

Original post by Silent0239
I couldn't find a thread for today's paper and I am really curious what y'all put for your answers.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Onisparks
Tbh for the 6 marker I wrote that environmental factors that lead to a weaker immune response are things like immune suppressant drugs, HIV, diet. Strong immune response would be things like vaccination.

For genetics I wrote about inherited illnesses e.g cystic fibrosis, ethnicity, diabetes I.

i had no clue about the question the only thing i did was waffled about malaria
The first answer was Permanent vacuole.
Original post by LuccaBetti
Plant Cell - Air Gaps and Nucleus
Diagram - Don't Shade and Connect Lines?

Immune System effected by genes and environment -
Genes:
- Sickle Cell Anemia prevents Malaria
- Autoimmune Disease?
Environment:
-Social factors can effect transmission of communicable diseases like HIV, can be prevented by good healthcare and education
- Living conditions, TB can infect alot of people crowded together in small spaces
- Climate, Malaria ideal in tropical regions as ideal for mosquitoes which are malaria vectors.

Advantages of Microorganisms -
- Can grow in waste making helping environment and cheap source of food for the microorganisms
- Animals take alot of resources and time, Microorganisms don't
- Take up less space for more produce
- Vegitarian option?

Cells Calc. - 50
Fill Gaps - Vectors and Spores
Original post by Xx_InZain_xX
The first answer was Permanent vacuole.

Ah k wasn't sure if air gaps or Vacuole
this is the picture we got guys

The answer is vacuole and nucleus/nucleolus!

https://www.sciencephoto.com/media/918418/view/plant-cell-tem
For the 6 marker on immunity. I believe you are supposed to talk about natural and artificial, active and passive immunity. So for example natural, passive immunity is only determined by genes and leads to individual being immune to disease due to inheritance of antibodies directly from mother via breastfeeding. Artificial passive immunity is determined only be environment. Artificial active immunity (vaccines) is determined by both environmental and genetic factors. As environmental cuz you are receiving it not naturally. But genetic due to body natural response to produce memory cells.
Original post by letapyikut
For the radius question do you not have to times by 2 to get the diameter

I did. I got 1.6 and no
Wait lol wasn’t it 5 for the colonies in the calculation at the end? Because for the last bit you had to divide by 100 not 10
Think there will be a wide variety of answers. some people just talked about humoral vs cell-mediated which is completely wrong.
Original post by shohaib712
For the 6 marker on immunity. I believe you are supposed to talk about natural and artificial, active and passive immunity. So for example natural, passive immunity is only determined by genes and leads to individual being immune to disease due to inheritance of antibodies directly from mother via breastfeeding. Artificial passive immunity is determined only be environment. Artificial active immunity (vaccines) is determined by both environmental and genetic factors. As environmental cuz you are receiving it not naturally. But genetic due to body natural response to produce memory cells.
Reply 50
I left it as it was from the centre to the edge (radius) not from edge to edge (diameter) so the answer was something like 0.798 or 0.8
Original post by Livedwards
I did. I got 1.6 and no
this is correct. I'm so annoyed I didn't think of this. basically the enzymes for respiration slow down, less heat is generated from respiration and therefore the body cools further. oh well! that was a tough one
Original post by medic2400
I said something about hypothermia below optimum conditions for enzymes so less heat generated and therefore body continues to cool down.
Reply 52
Lol when people are talking about what answer they got for the dilution and arguing between 5 and 50 and you got 174. Smashed it.
My teacher said that environment is to do with the pathogens within the environment without these antigens then the immune response wouldn’t work. However genes function to produce the B and T cells, clinal expansion and selection all involves genes however without the environment and pathogen being present this can’t take place
Original post by lionike123
Think there will be a wide variety of answers. some people just talked about humoral vs cell-mediated which is completely wrong.
I got 91 so im ****eddddd
Original post by kuthik
Lol when people are talking about what answer they got for the dilution and arguing between 5 and 50 and you got 174. Smashed it.
For the mean one I put the mode. Using the mean didn't seems right because the result for the same temperature was measured 5 times. Yet there was such a huge difference between the lowest and highest. I assumed that was due to mistakes the student made.
Original post by Xx_InZain_xX
Question 1: Permanent vacuole, Nucleolus, x14000, Magnification not stated, use continuous lines only, no title, no shading etc.
Some other questions I remember
Staining question.
Naked moles body temp is similar to the environment, not the same for most mammals,

Using the mean is more valid because it takes into account the extreme values. Median and mode disregard extreme values and so not all of the data is used hence not as accurate? (Not entirely sure)

Use Unpaired Students T Test to compare the means and see if the difference between the values is significant or not.
Anitbodies usually have 2 binding sites not 3, antibodies have 2 light polypeptide chains not 3? (not sure about the 2nd point)
0.79 for the length of the cell which is < 1 so the organism can rely on diffusion alone.

50 colonies (not sure if its 50 or 5)
Second to last question: Suggest why the student's estimate of the colonies is inaccurate or something?
Last question: Vector, Spores
Original post by Livedwards
I did. I got 1.6 and no

I'm so glad I did that felt the question was too easy to make it 0.8
(edited 4 years ago)
But it was only 2 marks? Like it was 0.8 cause u had the rearrange to formula, they don’t diffuse from one side to the other they only diffuse halfway
Original post by LuccaBetti
I'm so glad it did that felt the questions was too easy to make it 0.8
I swear the asking about mean or median. Not mode.
Original post by Onisparks
For the mean one I put the mode. Using the mean didn't seems right because the result for the same temperature was measured 5 times. Yet there was such a huge difference between the lowest and highest. I assumed that was due to mistakes the student made.
Reply 59
I put Permanent Vacuole only because it said Cell components so I was thinking more organelles than air sacs then my biology teacher confirmed it was vacuole because they in itself can contain air sacs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending