The Student Room Group

OCR A-Level Biology Paper 3 17th June 2019 - Unified Biology [Unofficial Markscheme]

Scroll to see replies

For this one you could have spoken about how positive feedback amplifies,
Receptors, hypothalamus, sensory, motor, effector, sweating, erector pili lie flat
Original post by aquaticflames
this is correct. I'm so annoyed I didn't think of this. basically the enzymes for respiration slow down, less heat is generated from respiration and therefore the body cools further. oh well! that was a tough one
For environment and genes I talked about structural genes and regulatory genes and how these code for different antibodies due to different base sequences so this would lead to variation. Also how the environment(e.g forest, lake) would have different pathogens so different antigens and again different antibodies coded for. This question was so hard I didn’t know if they wanted examples of variation, examples of animals and diseases or control of antibodies by different genes.
Reply 62
Nah same it was a whole 3 marks as well n I didn’t even know what working to show :frown:
Original post by lionike123
I got 91 so im ****eddddd
What did you guys get for True False questions?
Original post by nonoui
What's the word for a cold adapted biological molecule?

i put physiological
yeah it couldn't have been about vasoconstriction for the positive feedback, as vasoconstriction acts as a negative feedback.

it was to do with enzyme activity decreasing = less respiration = less muscle contraction = less heat generated = enzyme activity decreasing = less respiration = less muscle contraction = less heat generated = enzyme activity decreases = less respiration = less muscle contraction = less heat generated = enzyme activity decreases = less respiration = less muscle contraction = less heat generated =enzyme activity decreases = less respiration = less muscle contraction = less heat generated = enzyme activity decreases = less respiration = less muscle contraction = less heat generated = enzyme activity decreases = less respiration = less muscle contraction = less heat generated... you get the point. positive feedback.
They overcomplicated the question the substrates would diffuse through every surface and then would need to meet halfway through to fill up the cylinder
Original post by willfoot89
But it was only 2 marks? Like it was 0.8 cause u had to rearrange to formula, they don’t diffuse from one side to the other they only diffuse halfway
I also but physiological because it was inside the body not anatomical or behaviour then
Original post by nicholasflee
i put physiological
I think it also had the mode. I just put the one that wasn't the mean.
Original post by Muudeey
I swear the asking about mean or median. Not mode.
For the diffusion question were you supposed to work out the surface area to volume ratio?
You just reminded me about one more answer. He was both wrong and correct. For one of the tables mode appeared twice so you cannot get any hypothesis from that, and for the other one one of the results was an anomalous result.
Original post by Onisparks
I think it also had the mode. I just put the one that wasn't the mean.
What were you supposed to put for the fructose question? Its was so hard. I wrote that it produced a net ATP of 4 instead of 2
you had to work out the diameter, which was 1.6
you re-arranged the formula to find the radius then just times it by 2, followed by the larvae could not use diffusion alone.

the reason it is diameter is because for gases to be exchanged it has to go from the surface, to the centre, and BACK to the surface, hence why it is not 0.8.

Original post by shohaib712
For the diffusion question were you supposed to work out the surface area to volume ratio?
it only needs to go to the centre, not back. I saw this another question i did in a past paper.
Original post by Vorpent
you re-arranged the formula to find the radius then just times it by 2, followed by the larvae could not use diffusion alone.

the reason it is diameter is because for gases to be exchanged it has to go from the surface, to the centre, and BACK to the surface, hence why it is not 0.8.
I put about it being hydrolysed because a glucose+ a glucose= fructose and glucose is a respiratory substrate, this was a complete guess
What were you supposed to put for the fructose question? Its was so hard. I wrote that it produced a net ATP of 4 instead of 2
But fructose is a monosaccharide
Original post by Elliefggj
I put about it being hydrolysed because a glucose+ a glucose= fructose and glucose is a respiratory substrate, this was a complete guess
Reply 76
I thought it was 0.8 because diffusion of O2/CO2 only needs to travel 0.8cm to reach any cell from the outside? Because it is 0.8mm to the middle of the worm
Original post by Vorpent

But fructose is a monosaccharide

That’s 2 marks gone then
Physiological
Original post by Stormragexox
i put enviromental adaptations pretty sure its wrong tho
Reply 79
Also am I the only one who couldnt think of anything for the 6 marker on B and T cells. What were they asking for when they talked about genetic factors? Surely that has nothing to do with immunisation/immune response

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending