The Student Room Group

How to revise effectively for a levels

I’m trying to revise for my AS level exams but I don’t know how to revise effectively. I am revising how I revised for my GCSEs but that is not working. Any tips and suggestions?
Hi there. Can I ask how you're trying to revise currently?
Original post by clueIxss
Hi there. Can I ask how you're trying to revise currently?

I am reading the textbooks and then rewriting them in my own words. I then go and answer exam style questions.
Reply 3
Original post by da_turbanator
I’m trying to revise for my AS level exams but I don’t know how to revise effectively. I am revising how I revised for my GCSEs but that is not working. Any tips and suggestions?

Create a road map of the content you need to master by the end of the examinations.
Allocate time to study and learn a time management technique( check out the Pomodoro technique).
Use all senses to learn, visual, audio and text.
Create a mind map.
Take enough breaks;
Test your understanding with sample examinations and past papers.
Collaborate with fellow students.
Original post by da_turbanator
I am reading the textbooks and then rewriting them in my own words. I then go and answer exam style questions.

Well, first I'd say make sure you have a good revision timetable to keep track of your work, and so you can plan it effectively to get it done with enough time for exam questions.

I wouldn't say just writing the notes is enough. With A-Levels, there's a lot more to understand and the questions require a lot more application. I'd say study your notes for a couple of hours in sections of topics (if they're big topics split the revision up over a couple of days), then answer some knowledge-based quiz questions to check you know it (or just cover it up and see if you can recite the knowledge). Once you're fine with that, move onto the next section. Find some trickier exam questions on the topic when you finish it and then move onto the next once you're happy. When you've revised every topic, you can start doing some full past papers. Study some mark schemes for questions that seem to come up a lot and make some key words that the mark schemes always mentions (this is especially important for the sciences). This might not work for you, but this is often how I revise.
Moved to Revision & study tips :smile:
Original post by Ngome
Create a road map of the content you need to master by the end of the examinations.
Allocate time to study and learn a time management technique( check out the Pomodoro technique).
Use all senses to learn, visual, audio and text.
Create a mind map.
Take enough breaks;
Test your understanding with sample examinations and past papers.
Collaborate with fellow students.

Thank you :smile:
mindmaps, flashcards, speaking it out loud, practice papers, going over the information many times
What are your subjects? Planning/doing practice questions works quite well for everything.
Reply 9
YouTube videos worked for me
Original post by Dancer2001
What are your subjects? Planning/doing practice questions works quite well for everything.

I’m doing Maths Bio Chen Physics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending