The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Astronaut Don Pettit explains why we have not been back to the moon

"I'd go to the moon in a nanosecond. The problem is, we don't have the technology to do that anymore. We used to, but we destroyed that technology and it is a painful process to build it back again." Astronaut Don Pettit.
Did he actually say that!? Well I always liked to believe that we went to the moon but if he said that then it makes even more sense that the moon landing was faked. I mean wow our technology should be so much better than back then!!
Better tell the Smithsonian that someone has destroyed their exhibition pieces.

Original post by ArtmisKco
Did he actually say that!? Well I always liked to believe that we went to the moon but if he said that then it makes even more sense that the moon landing was faked. I mean wow our technology should be so much better than back then!!

He did say it but he is wrong. The real reason we haven't been back is because there is no point in sending manned missions to the moon. They are expensive and don't provide us with anything we can't get from much cheaper rovers.
Reply 3
Original post by DiddyDec
Better tell the Smithsonian that someone has destroyed their exhibition pieces.

He did say it but he is wrong. The real reason we haven't been back is because there is no point in sending manned missions to the moon. They are expensive and don't provide us with anything we can't get from much cheaper rovers.

No, the real reason is because we never went there in the first place. Over 50% of Russians do not believe they put a man on the moon.
Russia lost the race to the moon so obviously they are going to deny it happened, Russia has never put a man on the moon.
Reply 5
Original post by ArtmisKco

He is on youtube saying that.
Reply 6
Original post by popeye34
No, the real reason is because we never went there in the first place. Over 50% of Russians do not believe they put a man on the moon.

Well those 50% would be right given Russia didn't put a man on the moon.
Reply 7
Explanations of why we didn't go back to the moon, such as "we don't need to," "it's too expensive," or "we destroyed the technology", are all BS that doesn't make any sense. If the US was capable of sending astronauts to the moon in 1968, there is no way in the realm of common sense that I wouldn't think of building bases on the moon, even if these bases are just plain structure that yield to nothing more than just a prove of power over mankind. This power is the only thing what makes the US dollar the dominant currency and allows the US to exert its influence over the world. The fact that the US didn't do that suggests that it's 100% incapable of doing that. Think - they never made it. It was a Cold War smart ass move and it worked for well in destroyed the morals of the enemies. That's all about it.
Reply 8
Original post by username4347578
Rubbish. Lots of technology goes obsolete. You won't remember 12" optical drives developed in the 80s but they were incredible and inspired a project that led to a repeat of the Doomsday book. The country was divided into squares and then in each square, local schools and organisations compiled data and information about that square from major employers to restaurant menus and prices. And they were all compiled onto these amazing 12" double sided optical discs.

Roll forward 15-20 years and the discs were rediscovered. The trouble was that the technology had become obsolete and the readers had all been destroyed. Except one. Thankfully the discs could then be read and the data uploaded for all time. You can still find it here:
https://www.domesday86.com/?page_id=2140

A classic example of how we had the technology and very nearly lost it. The lunar landings were no different. Huge effort in learning, technology and engineering from 1960 to 1972, then the whole thing was canned, and the people on the project were redeployed onto other things and the whole episode, technologically was forgotten about.

It is the skills and knowledge built up in the minds of engineers and how they train and mentor new engineers coming through the system that keep things moving forward, not a collection of notebooks, diagrams and formulas.

Latest

Trending

Trending