The Student Room Group

Best unis for graduate jobs - CS

What unis do employers really love to hire from? Especially for computer science. I know Imperial, Cambridge and Oxford are at the top but can anyway with a lot of knowledge on this rank the universities in order? Thanks!!
Oxbridge, Imperial and UCL dominate at the highest paying software engineer employers. Then Manchester and Edinburgh.

Then you have Southampton, St Andrews, Bath, Bristol, Exeter, Warwick, KCL, York, Glasgow, Nottingham, Durham etc - basically all the other 'decent' unis out there - who also show up a fair bit.

Very few SWEs (that attended UK universities) working at the highest paying companies went to universities outside of those two main groups. It's important to note that a lot of the talent at these companies actually studied internationally - mainly at eastern european, chinese, indian and american universities as well so there's a huge spread of where people are hailing from.

That said, even going deep into the reputational ranking there are still people showing up at high paying companies. So it's not like it's impossible or like you are doomed to never work at a high paying company if you don't go to one of the above two.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman
Oxbridge, Imperial and UCL dominate at the highest paying software engineer employers.

Then you have Manchester, Southampton, Bath, Bristol, Exeter, Warwick, KCL, York, Glasgow, Nottingham, Durham etc - basically all the other 'decent' unis out there - who also show up a fair bit.

Very few SWEs (that attended UK universities) working at the highest paying companies went to universities outside of those two main groups. It's important to note that a lot of the talent at these companies actually studied internationally - mainly at eastern european, chinese, indian and american universities as well so there's a huge spread of where people are hailing from.

That said, even going deep into the reputational ranking there are still people showing up at high paying companies. So it's not like it's impossible or like you are doomed to never work at a high paying company if you don't go to one of the above two.

Isn't Warwick better than UCL in terms of ranking(for CS) and the average CS graduate salary
Original post by .unknown
Isn't Warwick better than UCL in terms of ranking(for CS) and the average CS graduate salary

1. Grad salary is a dumb metric by itself. It doesn't tell you anything about what roles grads are going to and where - which is a far better proxy for salary. Also it's based on data of new graduates that left 3+ years ago.

2. This is a question about representation not salary

Also I edited my post slightly - bumped Manchester and Edinburgh up.
(edited 4 years ago)
1. Grad salary is a dumb metric by itself. It doesn't tell you anything about what roles grads are going to and where - which is a far better proxy for salary.

The university of Leeds is like 6th for CS this year and last year. Does this mean employers are likely to hire from there as well? And it’s not too bad of a uni overall it’s 14th above Bristol, Manchester,Edinburgh and Southampton.
1. Grad salary is a dumb metric by itself. It doesn't tell you anything about what roles grads are going to and where - which is a far better proxy for salary. Also it's based on data of new graduates that left 3+ years ago.

My predictions of A*A*BB is limiting where I can go at the moment😳
Original post by Dehydratedwhale
The university of Leeds is like 6th for CS this year and last year. Does this mean employers are likely to hire from there as well? And it’s not too bad of a uni overall it’s 14th above Bristol, Manchester,Edinburgh and Southampton.

Correlation =/= causation. You'll probably get an interview from Leeds if you have a decent CV - these companies interview a lot of people.

Also rankings mean bugger all.
(edited 4 years ago)
Correlation =/= causation. You'll probably get an interview from Leeds if you have a decent CV - these companies interview a lot of people.

Also rankings mean bugger all.

So how should you check what unis are more likely to open the most doors for you if rankings aren’t that accurate?
Original post by Dehydratedwhale
So how should you check what unis are more likely to open the most doors for you if rankings aren’t that accurate?

linkedin search, employment outcomes data from the uni and types of companies sponsoring societies/attending careers fairs/holding events on campus.
Original post by username738914
linkedin search, employment outcomes data from the uni and types of companies sponsoring societies/attending careers fairs/holding events on campus.

Thank you!!
Original post by username738914

Would you mind checking my comparison chart as well ?
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6607088

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending