The Student Room Group

Comp Sci in uni with no prior knowledge?

Going into 2nd year of college, doing bio/chem/psych was planning to biomed uni. But I highkey feel like doing comp sci for uni but i have absolutely no prior knowledge about comp sci. Is it possible for me to do it? If so which unis accept/what should i do? I’m taking a gap year aswell so i am willing to learn. Well the main reason is that comp sci is a high paying degree even though i know it’s hard and yeah I just dk want to do.. 😭
Most CS degrees don't require any prior background in CS or programming. The majority do require a good background in maths to A-level though, which you don't have. So you would realistically need to be looking at courses with a foundation year. Worth bearing in mind the maths requirement is also not arbitrary and is because CS is a necessarily mathematical subject; CS degrees are not degrees in programming, they are degrees in the science of computers and computation, which is inherently very mathematical. So something to consider, if there was a reason you didn't choose A-level Maths in the first place.

Also CS does not have especially "high paying" career outcomes - in fact employment prospects were so poor for CS in the UK that the government commissioned two inquiries into the matter; see one here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/518575/ind-16-5-shadbolt-review-computer-science-graduate-employability.pdf

Furthermore, research has shown that employment outcomes are equivalent between STEM and non-STEM graduates in the long run: https://figshare.le.ac.uk/articles/report/The_employment_trajectories_of_Science_Technology_Engineering_and_Mathematics_graduates/10234421

If you're just considering CS because you think you'll get a high paying job at the end, I would suggest looking at other degrees.
Original post by Peekaboop
Going into 2nd year of college, doing bio/chem/psych was planning to biomed uni. But I highkey feel like doing comp sci for uni but i have absolutely no prior knowledge about comp sci. Is it possible for me to do it? If so which unis accept/what should i do? I’m taking a gap year aswell so i am willing to learn. Well the main reason is that comp sci is a high paying degree even though i know it’s hard and yeah I just dk want to do.. 😭

Hey,

The University of Kent does not require a Computer Science A-level to do the Computer Science course! You can find out further info here if you're interested :smile:

I didn't personally do CS but had a friend who did so hopefully can offer some insight. If it's really what you want to do, it is possible to do it without a background in CS. As with most uni courses, the first year generally starts with trying to get everyone up to the same level, as they know that not everyone has the same academic background, A-levels .etc! So, I definitely wouldn't worry too much if you do decide to go down that route, as they will do their best to ensure everyone is at the same level. They've also gone on to do a high-paying job which they secured from doing a placement year, so it is possible!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
Most CS degrees don't require any prior background in CS or programming. The majority do require a good background in maths to A-level though, which you don't have. So you would realistically need to be looking at courses with a foundation year. Worth bearing in mind the maths requirement is also not arbitrary and is because CS is a necessarily mathematical subject; CS degrees are not degrees in programming, they are degrees in the science of computers and computation, which is inherently very mathematical. So something to consider, if there was a reason you didn't choose A-level Maths in the first place.

Also CS does not have especially "high paying" career outcomes - in fact employment prospects were so poor for CS in the UK that the government commissioned two inquiries into the matter; see one here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/518575/ind-16-5-shadbolt-review-computer-science-graduate-employability.pdf

Furthermore, research has shown that employment outcomes are equivalent between STEM and non-STEM graduates in the long run: https://figshare.le.ac.uk/articles/report/The_employment_trajectories_of_Science_Technology_Engineering_and_Mathematics_graduates/10234421

If you're just considering CS because you think you'll get a high paying job at the end, I would suggest looking at other degrees.

Ohh, thank you for the insight!! I didn’t choose maths originally because I was thinking of going down the medical related route. I guess people tend to glorify CS too much that I didn’t think of much of it being low employment from CS. Would CS internships be worthwhile?
Reply 4
Original post by University of Kent
Hey,

The University of Kent does not require a Computer Science A-level to do the Computer Science course! You can find out further info here if you're interested :smile:

I didn't personally do CS but had a friend who did so hopefully can offer some insight. If it's really what you want to do, it is possible to do it without a background in CS. As with most uni courses, the first year generally starts with trying to get everyone up to the same level, as they know that not everyone has the same academic background, A-levels .etc! So, I definitely wouldn't worry too much if you do decide to go down that route, as they will do their best to ensure everyone is at the same level. They've also gone on to do a high-paying job which they secured from doing a placement year, so it is possible!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep

Ohh! Thank you! I will definitely look into this. Do they offer foundation year and how do placements typically work?
Ohh, thank you for the insight!! I didn’t choose maths originally because I was thinking of going down the medical related route. I guess people tend to glorify CS too much that I didn’t think of much of it being low employment from CS. Would CS internships be worthwhile?

For any degree, getting relevant internships and work experience is absolutely essential to securing graduate employment. This is what graduate recruiters are actually looking for - not what uni you went to or what subject you studied. You'll also need to perform well in their psychometric testing and assessment centre exercises. It is also usually beneficial to become involved in e.g. student societies etc and take on leadership roles to develop transferable skills (e.g. becoming treasurer of a society and discussing managing finances for projects and so on, becoming secretary for a society to develop skills in minute taking, organisation of meetings and events etc)

Just doing a degree for 3 years, going to lectures and exams, and nothing else is a prime way to make yourself functionally unemployable as a graduate!
Hi,

We offer Computer Science (and Computer Science with Foundation Year) here at Winchester.

Check out our labs/facilities and hear from staff and students here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn7IgxL8-E0&t=11s

For anyone hoping to find a place this September - it's not too late! We have a few places left to join us next month, and we'll even guarantee you university managed, owned or approved accommodation. Call 01962 827234 to chat through options :smile:
Hi there, :smile:

We are still open for Clearing with a wide range of courses still available. For certain courses within Computing we are accepting students with 72* UCAS points and over, plus we have Foundation Entry available for applicants with 56* UCAS points, which could get you on the path to starting your degree! (*subject to other entry criteria)

Our friendly team are on hand to discuss your options with you if you give us a call on 01772 830777.

All the best, :smile:
Sarah
Ohh! Thank you! I will definitely look into this. Do they offer foundation year and how do placements typically work?

Hey,

Unfortunately, Kent actually doesn't offer a foundation year course for computer science. A placement year is basically a year in industry in your third year, so you would work in a computer science job for 1 year (paid) and then complete your final year in year 4 (usually the uni helps you to find these jobs as well). This generally helps give you a taste of what your future career may be like, and companies can offer jobs at the end of your placement year for once you've completed your degree if they like you! You can find out more about how the year in industry works at Kent here for the School of Computing. I think the current entry requirements are BBB with no specified required A-levels :smile:

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending