The Student Room Group

Mature student taking Edexcel Further Maths

Hi, I'm a mature student who took Edexcel A Level Maths in the mid 2000s. I'd like to sit Edexcel Further Maths. I know it's now 4 exams, all to be taken in the summer sitting. I'll probably do options Further M1 and Further M2.

I have a few questions (I'll number to make easier):

1) Is the structure/wording of the new exam questions identical to the last 20 years, just the topics have moved modules? I thought I read somewhere they felt there wasn't enough emphasis on proof, making me think they now structure questions differently from the 2000s (making the past papers less-useful). Or, are they just adding one Proof question to each exam?

2) The reason for question 1 is, would it still be fine to use 2001-2004 P4/P5/P6 and 2004-2014 FP1-FP3 past papers? I'm guessing yes

3) Does anyone have the old Edexcel specs so I can map to the new? I think there were two: 2001 and 2014? (2004 just split P1-3 in to C1-4)

4) How close was the Edexcel International A Level Maths papers compared with the domestic Edexcel? Are these a good proxy for additional past papers?

5) What other past papers would you recommend? I have the Solomon ones. I was going to use AQA next? Would OCR and IB be less-useful?

Thanks in advance,
(edited 4 years ago)
1) The modules had changed and topics have been deleted or added in so they are different. In terms of proof there could be one or more but only if you are referring to “show that” questions.

2) You can use them to some extent. For the reason see 1)

3) no but physics and maths tutor still uses the old spec

4) Similar so yes you can use them as additional papers.

5) MEI and IB papers are usually more difficult than edexcel so yes you can use it as practice.
Original post by maturestudent77
Hi, I'm a mature student who took Edexcel A Level Maths in the mid 2000s. I'd like to sit Edexcel Further Maths. I know it's now 4 exams, all to be taken in the summer sitting. I'll probably do options Further M1 and Further M2.

I have a few questions (I'll number to make easier):

1) Is the structure/wording of the new exam questions identical to the last 20 years, just the topics have moved modules? I thought I read somewhere they felt there wasn't enough emphasis on proof, making me think they now structure questions differently from the 2000s (making the past papers less-useful). Or, are they just adding one Proof question to each exam?

2) The reason for question 1 is, would it still be fine to use 2001-2004 P4/P5/P6 and 2004-2014 FP1-FP3 past papers? I'm guessing yes

3) Does anyone have the old Edexcel specs so I can map to the new? I think there were two: 2001 and 2014? (2004 just split P1-3 in to C1-4)

4) How close was the Edexcel International A Level Maths papers compared with the domestic Edexcel? Are these a good proxy for additional past papers?

5) What other past papers would you recommend? I have the Solomon ones. I was going to use AQA next? Would OCR and IB be less-useful?

Thanks in advance,

There's lots of help on this website: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php?year=A%20Level%202017&term=Main

There is a content mapping if you scroll down - this is the website I recommend to my students as it has pretty much everything.
Reply 3
The Edexcel A-Level maths page has Excel files comparing topics between the old specification (2008) and new specification (2017).

1) Go to website:
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/mathematics-2017.coursematerials.html#%2FfilterQuery=Pearson-UK:Category%2FTeaching-and-learning-materials

2) Go to section "Mapping Document".
Original post by simon0
The Edexcel A-Level maths page has Excel files comparing topics between the old specification (2008) and new specification (2017).

1) Go to website:
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/mathematics-2017.coursematerials.html#%2FfilterQuery=Pearson-UK:Category%2FTeaching-and-learning-materials

2) Go to section "Mapping Document".

Thank you, that is so useful!
Reply 5
No hate but like why ‘MATURE’ student😂
> No hate but like why ‘MATURE’ student😂
That's literally what you call them...
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest