The Student Room Group

Further Maths Modules

Hi,

I'm a bit confused on how to select modules for FM. I'm doing AQA, and will be self-studying, so that's why I want to make sure what I'm doing is an allowed combination.

I understand that you take Further Pure 1, Further Pure 2, then 2 of Stats, Mechanics and Discrete. Each of Stats, Discrete and Mechanics have sections in the book for in AS and A2, presumably when doing the A-Level, that includes both sections, and that counts as 1 module?

I was thinking of taking FP1, FP2, Stats(AS + A2), Mechanics(AS + A2). Just wanted to check this was actually a combination that is allowed lol?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Edexcel textbooks have worked model solutions by the examiners online for free. Also it is the most popular exam board and also has the most resources.
Reply 2
Original post by AnotherStudent!
Hi,

I'm a bit confused on how to select modules for FM. I'm doing AQA, and will be self-studying, so that's why I want to make sure what I'm doing is an allowed combination.

I understand that you take Further Pure 1, Further Pure 2, then 2 of Stats, Mechanics and Discrete. Each of Stats, Discrete and Mechanics have sections in the book for in AS and A2, presumably when doing the A-Level, that includes both sections, and that counts as 1 module?

I was thinking of taking FP1, FP2, Stats(AS + A2), Mechanics(AS + A2). Just wanted to check this was actually a combination that is allowed lol?

Check the specification but I would suggest Edexcel is a better option for self-study.
Original post by Muttley79
Check the specification but I would suggest Edexcel is a better option for self-study.

Thanks - do you think it matters that I've done AQA at GCSE/A-Level? I heard someone saying it's better to stick with what you know so the question styles seem familiar, but I suppose as you and the above poster do mention, the resources for Edexcel seem far better and more plentiful.
Reply 4
Thanks - do you think it matters that I've done AQA at GCSE/A-Level? I heard someone saying it's better to stick with what you know so the question styles seem familiar, but I suppose as you and the above poster do mention, the resources for Edexcel seem far better and more plentiful.

I don't think it really matters, I did edexcel for gcse maths and further maths and then ocr for a level maths and further maths. I agree that AQA is a bad option for self studying although I'd say OCR has a lot of resources too (alevelmathsrevision.com has question packs for all of pure stats and mechanics for OCR A). The ocr books aren't the best at explaining but have lots of examples and the online resources might make up for that
Original post by yesjess73
I don't think it really matters, I did edexcel for gcse maths and further maths and then ocr for a level maths and further maths. I agree that AQA is a bad option for self studying although I'd say OCR has a lot of resources too (alevelmathsrevision.com has question packs for all of pure stats and mechanics for OCR A). The ocr books aren't the best at explaining but have lots of examples and the online resources might make up for that

Thanks, good to know. Think I might switch in that case, will just do a bit of reading on whether OCR or Edexcel seems to suit me better. Out of interest, did you find OCR to be hard(Have heard it can be significantly harder than Edexcel/AQA)?
Reply 6

Not at all - many schools do diffrent boards at A level. Why are you thinking of self-study?

This is a good resource: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/courses.php?coid=352
(edited 10 months ago)
Not at all - many schools do diffrent boards at A level. Why are you thinking of self-study?

This is a good resource: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/courses.php?coid=29

Thank you, I've heard good things about Dr Frost but struggled to use it since I did AQA(Definitely feels like Madas, etc tailor their stuff to Edexcel).

I've just sat my A-Levels this year + am taking a gap year anyway, so wanted to do FM to keep me occupied and give me a shot at a couple of the top Unis. I couldn't find anywhere near me that could do it in a single year, so have had to self-teach it instead.
Reply 8
Thanks, good to know. Think I might switch in that case, will just do a bit of reading on whether OCR or Edexcel seems to suit me better. Out of interest, did you find OCR to be hard(Have heard it can be significantly harder than Edexcel/AQA)?

It is definitely harder than single maths - I am on track for a safe A* in single and a B or maybe an A in further. Obviously I haven't done the other boards but for what it's worth the boards *should* normalise because of grade boundaries. You only need like 68% for an A* in OCR further maths and on some papers you can literally get a C with one question fully right so I suppose that suggests it is a hard board. Would you rather 'easier' content and high grade boundaries or harder content but lower boundaries? That's basically the decision.

Personally I prefer harder and lower - I do OCR A Physics (82-89% for an A*) and OCR B Chemistry (66% for an A*) and honestly I prefer the latter because it's less about memorising every tiny detail and more about being genuinely good at the subject imo. Obviously you have to be good in phys too but you can be as smart as you like and not get the A* if you don't know every definition!

Edit: Also definitely look at how the papers work - OCR has two pure papers which both cover everything and then a paper in each elective module (you do two of four). The papers are also very short, 1hr 30 and 75 marks each
(edited 10 months ago)

Brill, thank you! Didn't realise there was textbooks published by the exam boards themselves.
It is definitely harder than single maths - I am on track for a safe A* in single and a B or maybe an A in further. Obviously I haven't done the other boards but for what it's worth the boards *should* normalise because of grade boundaries. You only need like 68% for an A* in OCR further maths and on some papers you can literally get a C with one question fully right so I suppose that suggests it is a hard board. Would you rather 'easier' content and high grade boundaries or harder content but lower boundaries? That's basically the decision.

Personally I prefer harder and lower - I do OCR A Physics (82-89% for an A*) and OCR B Chemistry (66% for an A*) and honestly I prefer the latter because it's less about memorising every tiny detail and more about being genuinely good at the subject imo. Obviously you have to be good in phys too but you can be as smart as you like and not get the A* if you don't know every definition!

Edit: Also definitely look at how the papers work - OCR has two pure papers which both cover everything and then a paper in each elective module (you do two of four). The papers are also very short, 1hr 30 and 75 marks each

Cheers, I agree with your assessment really. I do AQA for Maths, and I'm not the biggest fan of higher grade boundaries w/ easier content. Feels like 1 slip, misreading the Q, etc. can cost you a lot more in that sense, even if overall the paper is easier. I'll definitely bare that in mind, feels like a weirdly big decision that I've never had to make before ahah.
Reply 11
Thank you, I've heard good things about Dr Frost but struggled to use it since I did AQA(Definitely feels like Madas, etc tailor their stuff to Edexcel).

I've just sat my A-Levels this year + am taking a gap year anyway, so wanted to do FM to keep me occupied and give me a shot at a couple of the top Unis. I couldn't find anywhere near me that could do it in a single year, so have had to self-teach it instead.

Don't use Madas - it's not written for the new spec. You should be able to find a one year scheme of work online for free -
Reply 12
Cheers, I agree with your assessment really. I do AQA for Maths, and I'm not the biggest fan of higher grade boundaries w/ easier content. Feels like 1 slip, misreading the Q, etc. can cost you a lot more in that sense, even if overall the paper is easier. I'll definitely bare that in mind, feels like a weirdly big decision that I've never had to make before ahah.

That's exactly how I feel with physics! One bad day and it's all over...
If you do go with OCR I think you'll be fine with resources, the website I mentioned is actually by an ex-teacher at my school and my current teacher uploads all his lesson notes to it.
I would just say when choosing your 2 optionals the choices are stats, mechanics, discrete, and additional pure. Stats and mechanics have WAYYY more resources so it might be worth just doing them. The mechanics grade boundaries are also insanely low with 45/75 for an A* last year :wink:
Reply 13
Original post by thegeek888
I have all the eBooks, PM me, and I'll send you the URLs of the GoogleDrive!!! :smile:

Perhaps you will enjoy FM1 and FD1 or FM1 and FS1 or FM1 and FP1 or simply FM1 and FM2? :s-smilie: lol

DO NOT share copyright resources - its illegal
Don't use Madas - it's not written for the new spec. You should be able to find a one year scheme of work online for free -

Do you teach FP1 and FM1? or FM1 and FD1?
That's exactly how I feel with physics! One bad day and it's all over...
If you do go with OCR I think you'll be fine with resources, the website I mentioned is actually by an ex-teacher at my school and my current teacher uploads all his lesson notes to it.
I would just say when choosing your 2 optionals the choices are stats, mechanics, discrete, and additional pure. Stats and mechanics have WAYYY more resources so it might be worth just doing them. The mechanics grade boundaries are also insanely low with 45/75 for an A* last year :wink:

Brill, thank you mate. I'll bookmark that website for if I go with OCR, caught in two minds now lolz
Hi,

AQA doesn’t offer FP1, so on so fourth. They actually make you pick two of mechanics, stats and decision.

You are mixing it up with Edexcel, which as Muttley79 has pointed out is a much better course that does offer the elective papers you are interested in taking.

Generally, I’d recommend taking only 2 elective papers (I’m doing 3 and I wouldn’t say it’s worth it).

I’d also say it doesn’t matter which exam board you did at GCSE, as the GCSE courses all teach you the same content.
Reply 17
Original post by thegeek888
Do you teach FP1 and FM1? or FM1 and FD1?

All of them - our students get a choice
Original post by TypicalNerd
AQA doesn’t offer FP1, so on so fourth. They actually make you pick two of mechanics, stats and decision.

You are mixing it up with Edexcel, which as Muttley79 has pointed out is a much better course that does offer the elective papers you are interested in taking.

Generally, I’d recommend taking only 2 elective papers (I’m doing 3 and I wouldn’t say it’s worth it).

I’d also say it doesn’t matter which exam board you did at GCSE, as the GCSE courses all teach you the same content.

Thanks, the more I think about it I reckon Edexcel seems to suit me better tbh. May I ask why you'd take 3 elective papers when you only need to take 2? Do they take your 2 best scores and ignore the 3rd?
Thanks, the more I think about it I reckon Edexcel seems to suit me better tbh. May I ask why you'd take 3 elective papers when you only need to take 2? Do they take your 2 best scores and ignore the 3rd?

That’s precisely it- your 2 best elective papers count towards your grade, along with the two mandatory papers. Essentially, the third paper is a failsafe.

Quick Reply

Latest