The Student Room Group

What knowledge of politics do I need to have before starting the course at Uni?

Hi, I’m going to be studying politics and sociology at uni starting September. I studied sociology at level so my knowledge of that is already good but I have no prior knowledge of politics and I’m really scared I’m going to be behind everyone else starting this course. Does anyone know what I can do to prepare? What I need to know, read? Any help would be welcome. Thanks
Reply 1
forgot to mention- I didn’t study politics at a level which is why I fear that I’ll be behind those at uni who may have perhaps studied politics. I obviously do have the basic knowledge I keep up with everything going on.
Original post by setarexhx
forgot to mention- I didn’t study politics at a level which is why I fear that I’ll be behind those at uni who may have perhaps studied politics. I obviously do have the basic knowledge I keep up with everything going on.

I wouldn't worry about not having studied Gov and Pol at A level. I studied it and the modules we learn can vary from sixth form. The main topics that we all learn at A level is British Politics and Government and that often takes up an entire year of A level study. However, British politics itself isn't even a compulsory course at most unis so you haven't lost out that much tbh. I would however recommend reading more about Political Theory and understand the various schools of thought before starting uni. This book would be a good start at learning Theory: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Politics-Book-Paul-Kelly/dp/1409364453
Reply 3
Original post by Jazzybear01
I wouldn't worry about not having studied Gov and Pol at A level. I studied it and the modules we learn can vary from sixth form. The main topics that we all learn at A level is British Politics and Government and that often takes up an entire year of A level study. However, British politics itself isn't even a compulsory course at most unis so you haven't lost out that much tbh. I would however recommend reading more about Political Theory and understand the various schools of thought before starting uni. This book would be a good start at learning Theory: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Politics-Book-Paul-Kelly/dp/1409364453

Thank you so much! I’ll be sure to read that
Original post by setarexhx
Hi, I’m going to be studying politics and sociology at uni starting September. I studied sociology at level so my knowledge of that is already good but I have no prior knowledge of politics and I’m really scared I’m going to be behind everyone else starting this course. Does anyone know what I can do to prepare? What I need to know, read? Any help would be welcome. Thanks

Hi @setarexhx
I've just finished my first year studying politics at UEA. I know you mentioned keeping up with the news, which I have found was one of the most important things to do for my degree as most things that you learn link back to the news of the day (or at least recent times). If there is an element of politics that you are particularly interested in then you could find a book/podcast/documentary on that. If you need a place to start you could look at what topics you'll be doing in first semester (on the website for your course you should be able to find out what your modules are). As Jazzybear01 said, everyone comes to university having learnt different things and every university will teach slightly different things. If there is something that they want you to know/learn they will teach it (or at least tell you that you should learn about it). Everyone at uni has their own strength and weaknesses and areas that they are interested in and know lots about. There will be times at uni where you be super confident about the topic of a discussion or lecture and times when you will have no idea (especially in discussions when people may have very specific references to events or examples). I have found that it is not embarrassing to ask questions or say that you are not familiar with a particular topic- people (either lecturers or your peers) are more than happy to explain. Overall don't worry too much, as long as you go to university ready and willing to learn and listen you will be fine
Let us know if you have any other questions
Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending