The Student Room Group

law clearing

I applied for llb law with politics at both lancaster uni and university of leicester through clearing. Both gave me a place but now I need to weigh the pros and cons of both which is more difficult for me because I'm an international student and can't visit the schools before hand. Can anyone provide me with pros and cons for either unis?
Original post by wondji
I applied for llb law with politics at both lancaster uni and university of leicester through clearing. Both gave me a place but now I need to weigh the pros and cons of both which is more difficult for me because I'm an international student and can't visit the schools before hand. Can anyone provide me with pros and cons for either unis?

Hey there!!

I have just graduated from Lancaster with a Criminology degree, so thought I could outline my favourite things about the uni!

Firstly, I loved the campus. It has so many green spaces and things to do, such as cafes and bars. It also really helps with settling in during first year, as loads of first years live on campus and it creates a really close community feel. I like how everything is in one place, and you can easily get a bus into town in 15 minutes.

Also, the amount of societies and sports on offer is amazing. Societies are a great way to make friends, and at Lancaster we have so many societies such Taylor Swift Society, Soup Society and loads of sports. I personally play rugby and it was a highlight of uni! There are also a lot of international societies which could help you settle in, as there is a large international community at Lancaster.

In my experience, the academic staff are also great. Everyone is assigned an academic advisor who you meet at least once a term, and knowing you have someone to ask all the questions to is quite nice. I also really enjoyed my course, and this is something you should definitely look into before choosing a uni.

Overall I had such a great time at Lancaster I am going to miss it. But I hope that gives you a bit of an insight into the university!
Original post by wondji

Hey @wondji :smile:

Are there any virtual open days or events offered by the unis so you can have a look at the campus and facilities from the comfort of your own home? A lot of uni's have a virtual experience/tour on the website so I'd recommend looking into that.

Another thing I'd suggest is to talk to current students directly on unibuddy if you would like to hear from more students, hopefully you receive more advice on this post though :smile:

You could also take a look at both uni's social medias and get a feel for the student life through photos and videos, and uni's will post student blogs, vlogs and profiles on their social - nice way to get an insight into your course and what life is like at the uni.

Can you reach out to the academics and ask them questions about the course, facilities, support you can expect to receive at the university, accommodation advice etc?

Good luck in making your decision! I wish you all the very best for your future :biggrin:

Becky
Reply 3
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hey there!!

I have just graduated from Lancaster with a Criminology degree, so thought I could outline my favourite things about the uni!

Firstly, I loved the campus. It has so many green spaces and things to do, such as cafes and bars. It also really helps with settling in during first year, as loads of first years live on campus and it creates a really close community feel. I like how everything is in one place, and you can easily get a bus into town in 15 minutes.

Also, the amount of societies and sports on offer is amazing. Societies are a great way to make friends, and at Lancaster we have so many societies such Taylor Swift Society, Soup Society and loads of sports. I personally play rugby and it was a highlight of uni! There are also a lot of international societies which could help you settle in, as there is a large international community at Lancaster.

In my experience, the academic staff are also great. Everyone is assigned an academic advisor who you meet at least once a term, and knowing you have someone to ask all the questions to is quite nice. I also really enjoyed my course, and this is something you should definitely look into before choosing a uni.

Overall I had such a great time at Lancaster I am going to miss it. But I hope that gives you a bit of an insight into the university!

I've a lot of good things about the university's campus actually, and your message confirms them! I know Lancaster is a very small so I'm wondering if that bothered you at all while you were there and if so in what ways?
Reply 4
Original post by University of Bradford
Hey @wondji :smile:

Are there any virtual open days or events offered by the unis so you can have a look at the campus and facilities from the comfort of your own home? A lot of uni's have a virtual experience/tour on the website so I'd recommend looking into that.

Another thing I'd suggest is to talk to current students directly on unibuddy if you would like to hear from more students, hopefully you receive more advice on this post though :smile:

You could also take a look at both uni's social medias and get a feel for the student life through photos and videos, and uni's will post student blogs, vlogs and profiles on their social - nice way to get an insight into your course and what life is like at the uni.

Can you reach out to the academics and ask them questions about the course, facilities, support you can expect to receive at the university, accommodation advice etc?

Good luck in making your decision! I wish you all the very best for your future :biggrin:

Becky

Thank you for all these ideas! Yes I've looked at both universities websites and social media pages, that helps in getting a feel for what they look like but not much into day to day life (which is probably hard to get a feel of anyway). I've never heard of unibuddy so I think I'll try that. Is that a website or app?
Original post by wondji
I've a lot of good things about the university's campus actually, and your message confirms them! I know Lancaster is a very small so I'm wondering if that bothered you at all while you were there and if so in what ways?

Hi,

My name is Emmanuel and I have just graduated from Lancaster University as a student of History & Politics. I'm planning to study for a Master's degree in Politics next year and I'm happy to talk a little about that aspect for you. As a 1st year, Politics studies requires you to take a core module that introduces you to some key themes of political academic inquiry in the modern world, I never studied Politics before my arrival at University, but the course brings everything up to speed and assumes you don't have prior knowledge of subject material so it's a good grounding to familiarise yourself with the area for 2nd and 3rd year. A lot of choices are available at that stage and the blending of Politics with Philosophy and Religion into a singular PPR department has allowed for a lot of interdisciplinary academic research: the course has suited me very well in that sense, especially, in 3rd year.

I'm not familiar with the particularities of a Law degree, so would recommend checking out links on the website. This is also a link to a blog post from a student of Law and Politics that might be helpful: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/arts-and-social-sciences/digital-content-ambassadors/fass/chiedza---studying-law-with-politics/. If you cannot attend an Open Day Event in person, we have an Undergraduate Digital Open Day between the 27th and 29th of September that might be of interest.

The fact that Lancaster is relatively small and a campus-oriented University at the same time has actually been great for me. I've lived on campus for all 3 years of my degree and I found it very easy to get used to the environment. The city center (which is only 3 and a half miles away and a 15/20 minute bus journey) has a lot to do and a train trip is never too far away either, so I like it a lot. Hopefully, this response has been helpful to you!
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending