The Student Room Group

Is it possible to study and work full time? Has anyone did it?

Hi,

I work as a manufacturing engineer ( mechanical ) and I don't want to loose my job as I like it and would like to leave it as a backup plan. On the other hand I would like to study software engineering for future. I've applied but after that few people scared me that's not really possible to do both together. I spoke with former student, one of the lecturers and both said the same - almost for sure I won't be able to do it - that there's too much study and I won't have enough time to learn enough while working full time. Is tat really true? Is there so much to learn on Software engineer undergraduate course with foundation year that I won't be able to do it?

As far as I know contact hours are 4x3 per week so 12 - seems not much but it's all about learning outside university.

Any advices on that?
Original post by borozu
Hi,

I work as a manufacturing engineer ( mechanical ) and I don't want to loose my job as I like it and would like to leave it as a backup plan. On the other hand I would like to study software engineering for future. I've applied but after that few people scared me that's not really possible to do both together. I spoke with former student, one of the lecturers and both said the same - almost for sure I won't be able to do it - that there's too much study and I won't have enough time to learn enough while working full time. Is tat really true? Is there so much to learn on Software engineer undergraduate course with foundation year that I won't be able to do it?

As far as I know contact hours are 4x3 per week so 12 - seems not much but it's all about learning outside university.

Any advices on that?

Will your work be flixble about you going in for the contact hours? You will have to complete labs and things that you may not have any say in the time you do them? I lived with 2 people studying electronic engineering and they were required to work with lab partner, it may be tricky getting your lab partner to fit around your work schedule.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending