The Student Room Group

British college of journalism

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the British college of journalism, or alternative routes into journalism I can take.

I am 23 years old but have been working since I was 19. I have taken my GCSEs and also studied law back in college, but due to personal circumstances I wasn’t able to continue studies and have been working boring office jobs ever since. I am looking into a career change and would love to go into journalism but have no idea when to start, and not exactly wanting to go into university with a bunch of freshers feeling like an old woman😂

I came across the British college of journalism and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this? They do seem legit and I have emailed them quite a few times. I’m looking to put my head down and get into a journalism route asap even if there’s apprenticeship options.
23 is not old relative to university undergraduate experience. You are functionally indistinguishable from other undergraduates at that age.

This "British College of Journalism" has a .com site and not .ac.uk which strongly implies to me it is not a recognised higher education provider and is probably at best probably a for-profit institution selling degrees. Look on linkedin and see what their graduates are doing now - that can often be very illuminating. Also look at what people working in the kinds of roles you want to do did at uni and where to get an idea of a typical route into those areas.

I would recommend going to an established and recognised university - which at minimum in the UK you will see have an .ac.uk URL address. If going to a full time in person course is undesirable or not possible for you then you may want to consider the Open University. Alternately an apprenticeship route, which is likely to develop the relevant transferable skills and work experience needed to develop a career anyway.
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending