The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

The Official 'Ask a Current Open University Student' Thread

Hey everyone! I started my OU journey last year and I'm fast approaching the end of year one. If you have any questions for an OU student, ask away! :h:

My blog & my GYG blog
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

:awesome: Also an OU student studying French. Subbed!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by Snufkin

What's it like studying French? :smile:
Original post by hannxm
What's it like studying French? :smile:

Well, I don't know yet - start my first module in October.:colondollar:
What do you study and why?
How old are you?
Do you feel studying at the open university is seen as a "lesser" degree than a traditional one when it comes to employability.
How does sitting exams work?
Original post by Snufkin
Well, I don't know yet - start my first module in October.:colondollar:

Ohhhh. Good luck! :smile: I bet you're excited?

Original post by quirky editor

Psychology because it is in the only topic I've ever actually been interested in and the first and only topic that I thought I would study at degree level if I fancied to.

How old are you?

I haven't done an exam yet, but I know that you go to a centre and you sit in an exam hall with invigilators and you take a three hour exam.

Do you feel studying at the open university is seen as a "lesser" degree than a traditional one when it comes to employability.

In terms of employ-ability, no. Most people have said it has helped them get the job over others because they often have work experience and it shows commitment, motivation and hard work to study whilst working and raising a family. You need to have excellent time management and determination to do a degree alongside a life that doesn't stop, so employers seem to like that and it demonstrates you have those skills. Most graduates haven't been working 20-40 hours a week in a job related to their dream career, whilst being expected to study 12-18 hours a week (double at full time). We still do 360 credits and mine is BPS accredited so it is still a valued and accepted degree - the only difference is I study at home and pay a third of the price.:lol:
(edited 5 years ago)
When do you expect to finish?

Creative Writing. Because I wanted to.
How old are you?

I'm basically an ancient crone.

If your modules have them (not all do), you go along to a local venue (a sports hall, school hall, that kind of place). Everyone local sits their exams together, so there may be multiple modules in the same room, but perhaps only a few people from each.

September, with the results due before Christmas.
Reply 11
can full time students also do this and also do they provide residence
Original post by Artsy13

You can study full time, but because the OU provide distance learning, it's done from wherever you already live.
Original post by Artsy13

There are limits to the number of full time credits you can study in one year. If you're at uni, it is unlikely that your uni would allow it, or the OU would allow it. Also it would make Student Finance tricky.

I was doing BSc Natural Sciences, then had to switch to BSc Open (biology). I finished in June. Science is what I love and I wasn't brave enough to do the chemistry route! I'm considering doing the MSc Science or Medicinal Chemistry next. Or I might move onto a different uni for postgrad if I decide to do it. I'm a manager and have a good job though so I won't be leaving work to go to uni anytime soon.

How old are you?

I started with the OU at 19, I've been studying with them on and off for nearly 10 years. You can do the math.

Yes by peers, no by employers. But when peers realise all the work you do for your degree alongside doing the same (or higher) job as them you soon garner plenty of respect.

Get told which centre you sit them at. Turn up 30-40 minutes before exam, find out which room you're in, listed to invigilator speech, sit exam, leave. Much like school only you will probably never have met anyone you're sitting the exam with.
Original post by Snufkin

Im starting French and German in October :biggrin: which modules are you taking for French?
Do students actually receive proper support, or is it just like the average distant learning course where tutors pretend to be interested because theystill get paid at the end of the month but aren't actually that interested in whether you do succeed or not?
I dont want to have my hand held or anything, it would just be nice to know if tutors are actually bothered if you have a problem.

Original post by Artsy13

You can study full time, but it is not recommended. The OU is only a distance learning university, so you study at home - they don't provide residence.

Original post by LauraClaire994
Do students actually receive proper support, or is it just like the average distant learning course where tutors pretend to be interested because theystill get paid at the end of the month but aren't actually that interested in whether you do succeed or not?
I dont want to have my hand held or anything, it would just be nice to know if tutors are actually bothered if you have a problem.

All tutors are different. I've had mainly excellent ones and my first one would ring me regularly, answer my questions and be so encouraging of me! For the most part, you e-mail and many respond quickly (sometimes at 1am!) and with good answers. There are tutors who fall short though - they respond late, give useless or off the mark answers and don't seem to care (those types of teachers exist in almost every institution). I have had a tutor like that but I simply asked for another one and now I have a much better tutor who is much kinder, more responsive and wishes to help whenever she can.
Morning all, Does anyone know when the LLB degree results came out/comes out?
Original post by rachel2018
Morning all, Does anyone know when the LLB degree results came out/comes out?

If you're studying with the OU, you should be able to find that information on your studenthome or from your tutor.

Quick Reply

Latest