The Student Room Group

Uni - Comp sci / cyber security

Hi all,

So I’ve decided that I’ve been wanting to go to University after all and am awaiting my results to see if I’m able to get in through clearing.

I’m looking to eventually getting into Cyber security and have read that doing a degree in purely cyber security will likely pigeon hole myself therefore I’m mainly looking at Comp Sci degrees that integrate the security aspects into the course
I’ve read about the GCHQ/NCSC certified courses and have mainly narrowed it down to 2 Universities, but I am also open minded to different courses and universities if you advise a different place. Location doesn’t matter to me, as I will be moving out regardless.

I’ve been looking at:
* Cardiff Met
* Oxford Brookes

I’m wondering if one is better than the other? Or whether it would be best to take a different route/university/course...
Any advice would be much appreciated!
Thanks a lot,
X
Original post by yuukoni
Hi all,

So I’ve decided that I’ve been wanting to go to University after all and am awaiting my results to see if I’m able to get in through clearing.

I’m looking to eventually getting into Cyber security and have read that doing a degree in purely cyber security will likely pigeon hole myself therefore I’m mainly looking at Comp Sci degrees that integrate the security aspects into the course
I’ve read about the GCHQ/NCSC certified courses and have mainly narrowed it down to 2 Universities, but I am also open minded to different courses and universities if you advise a different place. Location doesn’t matter to me, as I will be moving out regardless.

I’ve been looking at:
* Cardiff Met
* Oxford Brookes

I’m wondering if one is better than the other? Or whether it would be best to take a different route/university/course...
Any advice would be much appreciated!
Thanks a lot,
X

Hi @yuukoni

Great news to hear you are considering university. I just wanted to let you know we also offer Computer Science and our students have gone on in to careers within many areas, including with the GCHQ. Our course is accredited by The British Computer Society. The University of Lincoln is also affiliated with The Institution of Analysts and Programmers.

The course is currently open in Clearing and I have provided links to it as well as a page for you to start chatting with current students, if you would like to :smile:

As a location, I moved to Lincoln last year for my new role and can say I really enjoy it - it is a small and historical city with a nice mix of amenities (all reachable within a 10/15 minute walk of the campus).

More course information: www.lincoln.ac.uk/home/course/cmpcmsub/

Talk to current students: www.lincoln.ac.uk/home/studywithus/chatwithourstudents/

Wishing you loads of success in your research and applications - let me know if you have any more questions?

Lewis :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending