The Student Room Group

Are Exeter and Warwick hard to get into?

I currently have an AAB predicted grade (but I’m working to get it up to an A*AB) and I would like to apply to Warwick for comp sci (AAA) and Exeter for computer science (AAA-AAB) my As are in comp sci and maths and my B is in physics and I’m working to get an A* in computer science. If I stay at an AAB do I still have a chance of getting into both courses? I’ve done relevant work experience and gone abroad for work experience and I’ve attended all cyber first courses, the latest has given me 7 UCAS points raising my points to 143. Is it worth applying to both or only choosing one? Thanks.
I think you would be ok to put them down but make sure that a couple of options you choose would meet the grades you are predicted and at least 1 is below. Keep in mind though, that they will expect you to get at least AAA and you would only get in with AAB (or even A*AB) if, after all the students who did get the grades accepted their places, there were spaces left and the University felt inclined to accept you.

Eventually you would need to pick a firm choice and an insurance choice from the offers you recieve. At this point, if you had offers from both Exeter and Warwick then you would need to choose between them and have a safer option as your insurance choice.

Make sure you look at the modules that any University offers and see if they appeal to you and go on open days to see if you like the vibe.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Chatterboxxxx
I currently have an AAB predicted grade (but I’m working to get it up to an A*AB) and I would like to apply to Warwick for comp sci (AAA) and Exeter for computer science (AAA-AAB) my As are in comp sci and maths and my B is in physics and I’m working to get an A* in computer science. If I stay at an AAB do I still have a chance of getting into both courses? I’ve done relevant work experience and gone abroad for work experience and I’ve attended all cyber first courses, the latest has given me 7 UCAS points raising my points to 143. Is it worth applying to both or only choosing one? Thanks.

For CS Warwick yes, Exeter no.

Of note Exeter has an average offer rate of over 90% and is widely known to routinely take students who are significant misses on results day (I have known of them taking people 3 grades dropped from the offer) for most courses. Outside if medicine and maybe law Exeter is generally not super hard to get an offer from and likely to be flexible on results day.

It's a fair choice in general as a backup then, although I'd note their CS department is really quite average at best. When I was there the EE course based I'm the same building refused to use the CS department programming modules for the course ad they were so unsuitable and instead used the physics department programming modules...

Also as advised on your previous thread not all unis use the ucas tariff (neither Warwick nor Exeter do to my knowledge) and not all tariff point accruing courses are accepted by all unis, and finally a tariff point accruing course does not "add up" with an A-level grade to improve it as far as unis are concerned (or in any practical way when you think about it...).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending