The Student Room Group

Graphite high melting point

Hi, does anyone know what happens when melting graphite?? I have always thought when you melt something you only break the intermolecular force/VDW force between the molecules (unless its a diamond). And i have always thought graphite has a lower melting point because when you melt graphite youre ONLY breaking the intermolecular force between the layers and it doesnt take a lot of energy to break
I was revising and turns out all the textbooks say that you need to break the covalent bonds in the molecules when melting graphite and i am really confused.... how do you know when youre breaking the covalent bond or when you are breaking the VDW force then?? because i know when youre melting iodine youre only breaking the VDW force. Or is it because when youre melting a giant covalent structure you need to break the covalent bonds between them? Thank you for any response
When you have simple molecular substances you need to only consider the intermolecular forces.

With macromolecules (giant structures, like diamond graphite, silica etc.) you also need to break the bonds.
Reply 2
Original post by EierVonSatan
When you have simple molecular substances you need to only consider the intermolecular forces.

With macromolecules (giant structures, like diamond graphite, silica etc.) you also need to break the bonds.

Ohhh thank you so much!!

Quick Reply

Latest