The Student Room Group

What cooking disasters have you had?

A few weeks ago I had a pizza in the oven - was student accommodation so a lot of the numbers have rubbed off making it hard to see.

I somehow managed to cremate the pizza despite being in the same room as it :rofl: :facepalm:

Have you had any cooking disasters?

Scroll to see replies

Quite recently, actually.

Amidst exam season stress, I decided to throw some halloumi fries in the oven one day. However, three hours later, I realised I had forgotten about them. Thankfully, my flatmate had taken them out after an hour and a half, but unfortunately, they were too burnt to be edible. :frown:
Original post by 5hyl33n
Quite recently, actually.

Amidst exam season stress, I decided to throw some halloumi fries in the oven one day. However, three hours later, I realised I had forgotten about them. Thankfully, my flatmate had taken them out after an hour and a half, but unfortunately, they were too burnt to be edible. :frown:

nooooooooooo :rip: fries

also: halloumi = delish :yum:
Frying some frozen spring rolls and hot oil splatter every where and they burst staining the nearby wall. Unedible in the end :frown:

Ps fancy some halloumi fries now.
Original post by Chronoscope
nooooooooooo :rip: fries

also: halloumi = delish :yum:

:rip: pizza.
Original post by Kutie Karen
Frying some frozen spring rolls and hot oil splatter every where and they burst staining the nearby wall. Unedible in the end :frown:

Ps fancy some halloumi fries now.

That sounds very dangerous. I hope you were okay? :sadnod:

P.S. I fancy some spring rolls now!
(edited 9 months ago)
Burnt a boiled egg - the inside was completely black...
Original post by 5hyl33n
:rip: pizza.

That sounds very dangerous. I hope you were okay? :sadnod:

P.S. I fancy some spring rolls now!

did get some oil splash burns but could have been worse.
Original post by toothysmile
Burnt a boiled egg - the inside was completely black...

that's a new one for me. Maybe somethign to do for Halloween. :smile:
I've kinda burnt various things but honestly the worst thing I've done in the kitchen recently was absent-mindedly leave my plastic collapsible colander on the hot hob :rolleyes:
Reply 9
not me but my mum once managed to burn an egg while boiling it! it was completely black, idk how she did it :colonhash:
Original post by Spelunker
not me but my mum once managed to burn an egg while boiling it! it was completely black, idk how she did it :colonhash:

Same haha lol
I grilled some burgers too high & long in the oven with a baking tray, the heat from all the oil & grease was enough to actually melt the mounts on the oven element which then bent/collapsed right down into and through the burgers, that was a weird one to open the oven to - I should point out this was due to my landlord at the time buying prob the cheapest oven they could :colonhash:
Have in multiple occasions been baking and forgot to add eggs :laugh:
made viennese biscuits a while ago but smth happened and they melted in the oven
when I took them out it was just a pool of melted butter 🫠
A few weeks ago I had a pizza in the oven - was student accommodation so a lot of the numbers have rubbed off making it hard to see.

I somehow managed to cremate the pizza despite being in the same room as it :rofl: :facepalm:

I thought that it is a good thing to prepare a pasta with lemon taste. A stupid idea, an awful taste! :frown:
I melted my plate in the university oven. It melted all around the grill and I was stood in the kitchen at midnight trying to pry it off the metal
Original post by Spelunker

How can an egg be burnt when it is boiled in a pot with water? :confused: I can't get it. :iiam:
Reply 17
Was making a sauce to have with some pasta the next day.
Lid for the salt grinder fell off and the contents emptied into my would-be sauce.
Was saltier than the sea so ended up down the sink lol
One time I was about to fry some chips so I put the first portion in the oil and all was fine, until I tried to put the second portion in and I guess I must have dripped water from the thing with holes into the boiling oil whilst doing so because the next thing I knew the oil splashed up into the air, onto myself and on the entire surroundings.

It was painful and scary to say the least and I avoided frying anything for a long while after that.
(edited 8 months ago)

I also had a near epic fail with a pizza - was babysitting for a friend who had left me pizza to make for tea. I forgot to remove the polystyrene base and ended up nearly cementing it to the roasting tin :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest