The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Sanjetti
Oh and EierVonSatan, I'm guessing you do a chemistry degree?

Got one :biggrin: , doing another :s-smilie:
Reply 21
Malsi101
Copper Hydroxide = Cu2++OHCu^{2+} + OH^- therefore to balance the charge, we will need two OH-'s thus we get Cu2++2OH=Cu(OH)2Cu^{2+} + 2OH^- = Cu(OH)_2

when 2's are involved :frown:

Everything needs to be equal and stable. Therefore, the charges need to add up to 0 for each compound.

Cu2+Cu^{2+} is Copper (II), meaning that it's Copper (chemical symbol Cu) and it is a cation (meaning it's positive) with a charge of +2 - it has two electrons missing so overall it is more positively charged than negatively charged (remembering electrons are negative, protons are positive)

OHOH^- is OH (Hydroxide) and has a charge of -1, meaning that it has one too many electrons (making the overall charge negative).

If you want to add them both together to make a neutral compound, you need to add 2 electrons to the Copper (II). If you just added a single OH-, the overall charge wouldn't equal one.

Bearing this in mind, you need to do Cu2++2OHCu^{2+} + 2OH^- which gives you Cu(OH)2Cu(OH)_2
Reply 22
Maths is the real discipline - stop worrying about balancing your equations.
Reply 23
no I copied and pastes sohansha's post to show you what I don't get:p:

glad you've given me one to try as I was going to just ask you to:biggrin:

ok here goes

Cu2++NO3>Cu2++2NO3=Cu(NO)3Cu^{2+} + NO_3^{-} --> Cu^{2+} + 2NO_3^{-} = Cu(NO)_3

:puppyeyes:

after reading Beska's ever so helpful post I edited and now have the following q;s:smile:

Why do we put brackets in instead of just saying CuNO3CuNO_3
Why do we put the 2 in front of the Formulae instead of putting it after
Unparseable latex formula:

NO_3^{-}_2

Oh and this is not cos I'm dumb(:p:) rather only did my GCSE's in one year and didn't cover much:frown:
Reply 24
EierVonSatan
Got one :biggrin: , doing another :s-smilie:

Nice! Well done, and congrats :smile:. What's your second one on?
Anyone need any more help with Compound Formulas??
Reply 26
You had 2NO3(-) - why didn't you bracket and subscript 2 in the final part?
Reply 27
Malsi101
no I copied and pastes sohansha's post to show you what I don't get:p:

glad you've given me one to try as I was going to just ask you to:biggrin:

ok here goes

Cu2++NO3>Cu2++2NO3=CuNO3Cu^{2+} + NO_3^{-} --> Cu^{2+} + 2NO_3^{-} = CuNO_3

You were nearly there! Remember its Cu(NO3)2, as you've put a 2 in from of the NO3- in the middle part of your equation
Reply 28
Malsi101

I made myself a cheat sheet to use for balancing/writing equations, I'm sure it'd be useful to you too:

http://www.beska.net/ions.pdf

Edit: Wow, I just noticed mistakes on there. Let me fix those. Fixed.

I have it printed out and stuck to the front of my chemistry folder, along with the solubility rules. :smile:
Reply 29
Once you've got GHOSH-5's question right, here's probably the most difficult ones they can test:

Aluminium sulphate (Hint: the constituent ions are Al3+ (carries a 3+ charge) and SO4 2- (carries a 2- charge))

(sorry about the lack of latex)

Answer once you've tried it:

Spoiler

Reply 30
Beska
I made myself a cheat sheet to use for balancing/writing equations, I'm sure it'd be useful to you too:

I have it printed out and stuck to the front of my chemistry folder, along with the solubility rules. :smile:

wow that is really helpful...rep tomorrow:^_^:
Reply 31
Sanjetti
Once you've got GHOSH-5's question right, here's probably the most difficult ones they can test:

Aluminium sulphate (Hint: the constituent ions are Al3+ (carries a 3+ charge) and SO4 2- (carries a 2- charge))

(sorry about the lack of latex)

how do you do balance an equation which has one ion with a 3+ charge and another with a 2- charge :eek4:
Reply 32
Beska

Edit: Wow, I just noticed mistakes on there. Let me fix those. Fixed.

you better not be giving me wrong data:cry:
Hmm let me see If I can make a variable expression somehow:

Find the Compound Formula for AB where Ax+,ByA^{x+} , B^{y-}

Step 1. Find xyx - y

Step 2. If the above does not equal 0, then work out, how many x's and/or how many y's will be required to make k1xk2y=0k_1 x - k_2 y = 0

Step 3. Put k1k_1 before A and k2k_2 after B thus:

k1Ax+,(By)k2k_1 A^{x+} , (B^{y-})_{k_2}

Step 4. Put the ions together: k1Ax+,k2Byk1A(B)k2k_1 A^{x+} , k_2 B^{y-} \rightarrow k_1 A (B)_{k_2} where k1k_1 and k2k_2 are integers.
Reply 34
Yeah, is one of them saying that N3- is a nitRATE ion ? :p:
Reply 35
Malsi101
how do you do balance an equation which has one ion with a 3+ charge and another with a 2- charge :eek4:

2 of the 3+ charge and 3 of the -2 Charge...both cancel out.

Just use multiples if u dont cancel out immediaetly try multiplying by 2 or 3 or even 4 sometimes to get the charges to equal 0
Reply 36
Malsi101
you better not be giving me wrong data:cry:

I didn't notice before, but when I made it instead of going to edit the subscript of each ion over and over, I just copied and pasted and changed the charge/element. I must have had a brain fart and didn't change Aluminum's symbol - it was still "Ca3+". I've changed it now, though. :p:
Reply 37
Malsi101

I've included a spoiler in my post if you want to see how to do it. Once you get the hang of it, it becomes much easier, I promise.
Reply 38
Sanjetti
Yeah, is one of them saying that N3- is a nitRATE ion ? :p:

:doh:

Fixed that too, anyway. :smile:
Reply 39
Beska
I didn't notice before, but when I made it instead of going to edit the subscript of each ion over and over, I just copied and pasted and changed the charge/element. I must have had a brain fart and didn't change Aluminum's symbol - it was still "Ca3+". I've changed it now, though. :p:

hehe:biggrin:

Latest