The Student Room Group

A level physics or chem?

Hi, I'm not picking a levels for another year or so, however I thought it would be good to find out a bit more about them and which ones I'd enjoy doing.

I want to pursue a maths degree when I'm older and I've settled on maths, fm + physics/chem + another subject that's not a science.

I know that universities prefer physics on the whole for maths degrees, as it's a mathematical-oriented subject, however currently at gcse, I'm not enjoying the course. I enjoy chemistry a lot more (+ although I know it will be tough at a level), and I'd like to do it at a level as I'm more likely to want to study + put my effort into it.

I'm not urgently making any decision, but it would be nice if I could get any advice on that, so I don't feel too pressurised to do super well in physics, considering I don't enjoy it.
If you're sure that you won't enjoy A-level physics then my advice would be to do chemistry. At the end of the day it's your grades which matter, not the subject (if the rest of the entry requirements are met obviously), and enjoying the subject will go a long way to making sure that you're motivated to put the work in. However, as you say there's plenty of time until you have to chose- maybe look up the syllabus of both courses to get an idea of what you would be learning and see how you feel.
Original post by Charles767
If you're sure that you won't enjoy A-level physics then my advice would be to do chemistry. At the end of the day it's your grades which matter, not the subject (if the rest of the entry requirements are met obviously), and enjoying the subject will go a long way to making sure that you're motivated to put the work in. However, as you say there's plenty of time until you have to chose- maybe look up the syllabus of both courses to get an idea of what you would be learning and see how you feel.

Yes, thanks for the advice. I agree, because it will be difficult to study a level physics if I do end up picking it, seeing as I don't enjoy the content. My only worry is that maths a level and maths as a degree both include some physics within it - so I may have to inevitably do some physics.
Original post by *LifeHappens*
Yes, thanks for the advice. I agree, because it will be difficult to study a level physics if I do end up picking it, seeing as I don't enjoy the content. My only worry is that maths a level and maths as a degree both include some physics within it - so I may have to inevitably do some physics.

It depends which bit of physics you don't like i guess. The physics in A Level maths is just a small fraction of the course and is entirely mechanics- have a look at this link for basically everything you'd be learning https://www.mathsbox.org.uk/twi/amech.pdf
Reply 4
Hi, I'm not picking a levels for another year or so, however I thought it would be good to find out a bit more about them and which ones I'd enjoy doing.

I want to pursue a maths degree when I'm older and I've settled on maths, fm + physics/chem + another subject that's not a science.

I know that universities prefer physics on the whole for maths degrees, as it's a mathematical-oriented subject, however currently at gcse, I'm not enjoying the course. I enjoy chemistry a lot more (+ although I know it will be tough at a level), and I'd like to do it at a level as I'm more likely to want to study + put my effort into it.

I'm not urgently making any decision, but it would be nice if I could get any advice on that, so I don't feel too pressurised to do super well in physics, considering I don't enjoy it.

Maths and FM include a bit of physics, but not like the content more the formulas. So if you enjoy chem I’d go chem as third since you ideally need maths and fm, which already gives you a bit of physics knowledge, and chem is well respected that it shouldn’t affect your chances much (depends on what Uni you want to go to)
Original post by study23!
Maths and FM include a bit of physics, but not like the content more the formulas. So if you enjoy chem I’d go chem as third since you ideally need maths and fm, which already gives you a bit of physics knowledge, and chem is well respected that it shouldn’t affect your chances much (depends on what Uni you want to go to)

Ok, that's a relief to know as I'm alright with formulas/equations, thank you :smile:
Original post by Charles767
It depends which bit of physics you don't like i guess. The physics in A Level maths is just a small fraction of the course and is entirely mechanics- have a look at this link for basically everything you'd be learning https://www.mathsbox.org.uk/twi/amech.pdf

I really enjoy studying atoms (although that's more a chemistry thing), but I struggle with finding interest in topics like electricity and energy, however the link shows mostly equations and a bit of theory stuff. I think that should be an alright amount of physics. Thanks

I do a Maths degree and I did Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and French. Not having Physics has had basically no impact. I guess it could have provided some intuition for certain things but, at least in my degree, everything is viewed through a Mathematical lens.
Reply 8

hi I currently have 3 maths offers from bristol, manchester, and edinburgh, with a-levels in maths, further maths, chemistry, and psychology. in my opinion, a level chemistry seems a lot simpler, and when applying for maths degrees having an a* in maths and taking further maths (if possible) is all that really matters in terms of a-levels :smile:
not taking physics hasn't impacted me so far other than perhaps making my life easier!
Original post by melancollege
I do a Maths degree and I did Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and French. Not having Physics has had basically no impact. I guess it could have provided some intuition for certain things but, at least in my degree, everything is viewed through a Mathematical lens.

Oh wow that sounds so cool, do you enjoy the course?
It's good to know physics isn't required to understand what I would be taught - is there anything you think would be helpful for me to do, me being a gcse student, that might make pursuing maths more interesting or easier for me to understand?
Original post by 12345green
hi I currently have 3 maths offers from bristol, manchester, and edinburgh, with a-levels in maths, further maths, chemistry, and psychology. in my opinion, a level chemistry seems a lot simpler, and when applying for maths degrees having an a* in maths and taking further maths (if possible) is all that really matters in terms of a-levels :smile:
not taking physics hasn't impacted me so far other than perhaps making my life easier!

Oh that's really great! I see that maths and further maths are the main bits I need - do you think that a level chemistry has in any way helped you understand anything better in maths (just as a curious thought) 😅

Oh that's really great! I see that maths and further maths are the main bits I need - do you think that a level chemistry has in any way helped you understand anything better in maths (just as a curious thought) 😅

not so far for me personally, because for my specification all we have really done is substitute values into/ rearrange equations etc. although, a-level chem does help build problem-solving skills involving maths a little bit; for example, near the end of the A-level paper you get some long titration questions that involve multiple equations/steps.
I think taking maths and further maths has helped me more with chemistry than the other way around:smile:
not so far for me personally, because for my specification all we have really done is substitute values into/ rearrange equations etc. although, a-level chem does help build problem-solving skills involving maths a little bit; for example, near the end of the A-level paper you get some long titration questions that involve multiple equations/steps.
I think taking maths and further maths has helped me more with chemistry than the other way around:smile:

Ohh right, that makes sense - because in chemistry you would use some maths skills for questions like moles and symbol equations. Thanks :smile:

Either is fine and universities on the whole do not prefer physics for a maths degree. Of course there is usually some mechanics content in most maths degrees in at least first year, and some maths degrees have a lot of applied maths and/or theoretical physics options, but these don't usually presuppose A-level Physics (it's more that those who like maths often do well in physics and those who do well in both often gravitate towards courses offering those kinds of applied maths/theoretical physics options!).

So just take whichever you prefer. Or take both and then drop one if you don't like it :smile: You don't get "bonus points" for doing a fourth A-level when it comes to uni admissions!
Original post by artful_lounger
Either is fine and universities on the whole do not prefer physics for a maths degree. Of course there is usually some mechanics content in most maths degrees in at least first year, and some maths degrees have a lot of applied maths and/or theoretical physics options, but these don't usually presuppose A-level Physics (it's more that those who like maths often do well in physics and those who do well in both often gravitate towards courses offering those kinds of applied maths/theoretical physics options!).

So just take whichever you prefer. Or take both and then drop one if you don't like it :smile: You don't get "bonus points" for doing a fourth A-level when it comes to uni admissions!

Oh thanks! It's good I don't need to take a level physics to still do well in a level maths, as that was my main worry - would gcse physics suffice?
Oh thanks! It's good I don't need to take a level physics to still do well in a level maths, as that was my main worry - would gcse physics suffice?

Any mechanics at A-level content will be taught assuming nothing more than GCSE Physics. Obviously there is synergy with A-level Physics as they'd be doing similar mechanics problems so have more "practice" baked into their timetable but there's no reason you can't (or shouldn't!) spend that time yourself in the A-level to practice that and other topics :smile:
Reply 16

You definitely don’t need physics a level for Maths a level. I take bio chem fm and maths, I’m the only one in my fm class who doesn’t take physics and we’re currently doing mechanics. I cope just fine, in maths and fm you need your basic gcse physics maths knowledge but any new things kind of just build from that and you learn in maths. They will teach some of it in a level physics too but you won’t be at a disadvantage, there just may be people who take physics who’ve done a bit more practice then you in certain areas. It won’t make you behind the class though I promise.
Original post by artful_lounger
Any mechanics at A-level content will be taught assuming nothing more than GCSE Physics. Obviously there is synergy with A-level Physics as they'd be doing similar mechanics problems so have more "practice" baked into their timetable but there's no reason you can't (or shouldn't!) spend that time yourself in the A-level to practice that and other topics :smile:

ohh I understand it better, thank you :smile:
Original post by study23!
You definitely don’t need physics a level for Maths a level. I take bio chem fm and maths, I’m the only one in my fm class who doesn’t take physics and we’re currently doing mechanics. I cope just fine, in maths and fm you need your basic gcse physics maths knowledge but any new things kind of just build from that and you learn in maths. They will teach some of it in a level physics too but you won’t be at a disadvantage, there just may be people who take physics who’ve done a bit more practice then you in certain areas. It won’t make you behind the class though I promise.

Oh ok, that's good to know. On some of the websites/videos I've seen they say that a level physics is usually taken wtih maths and fm, however I've never seen anyone particularly saying I'll be at a disadvantage if I don't do physics, but instead do maths and fm - so it's good it isn't a requirement to succeed

Quick Reply

Latest