The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Positional isomer means the position of the double bond is different. So a positional isomer would be but-2-ene.

A functional group isomer has the same molecular formula, but they have different functional groups. e.g ethanol and ethoxyethane
A functional group isomer of but-1-ene would be cyclobutane. :smile:
Reply 2
thanks!!!!!

we haven't touched much on the functional group isomers yet..that's why twas confusing :rolleyes: :p:
Reply 3
Oh btw could you just elaborate a bit more on how you came to call it cyclobutane ?
Reply 4
Don't worry, it's pretty awkard to learn especially if you haven't covered much Organic Chemistry. :p:

The isomer is called cyclobutane because they both have the same molecular formula C4H8 C_4H_8 but they have different functional groups and belong to different homogolous series. Cyclobutane is an alkane, whereas but-1-ene is an alkene. I think it's the only possible functional group isomer of but-1-ene, that's why.
fait
I think it's the only possible functional group isomer of but-1-ene, that's why.

There's one other - methylcyclopropane :smile:
Reply 6
fait
Don't worry, it's pretty awkard to learn especially if you haven't covered much Organic Chemistry. :p:

The isomer is called cyclobutane because they both have the same molecular formula C4H8 C_4H_8 but they have different functional groups and belong to different homogolous series. Cyclobutane is an alkane, whereas but-1-ene is an alkene. I think it's the only possible functional group isomer of but-1-ene, that's why.

Hang on, is cyclobutane an alkane? I thought it was saturated, but not belonging to the homologus series of alkanes (i.e. does not adhere to the CnH2n+2 formula).
Reply 7
Malsi101
Oh btw could you just elaborate a bit more on how you came to call it cyclobutane ?

It's because the carbon atoms are arranged in such a way that they form a cycle. For more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclobutane
Reply 8
argghhhhh confusing although your explanations were great and simple :o: :smile:
Reply 9
ahaaa right thanks!!!!!!!!
Reply 10
Sanjetti
Hang on, is cyclobutane an alkane? I thought it was saturated, but not belonging to the homologus series of alkanes (i.e. does not adhere to the CnH2n+2 formula).

You are correct. It belongs to the homologous series of cycloalkanes :yep:
What syllabus are you doing?

all i had to do was cis-trans/geometric isomers, and structural isomers. and i'm doing a2 right now...
Reply 12
IChem
You are correct. It belongs to the homologous series of cycloalkanes :yep:

Ah ok!

So many chemistry whizzes on TSR :biggrin:
yoshifumu
What syllabus are you doing?

all i had to do was cis-trans/geometric isomers, and structural isomers. and i'm doing a2 right now...

Isn't the new AS all a new syllabus?

Although I did what (s)he is doing at the start, then it all got forgotten by the end of AS.
Reply 14
Sanjetti
Ah ok!

So many chemistry whizzes on TSR :biggrin:

So many everything wizzes on TSR! I wish I were as good at maths as half of the people on here!

Latest