The Student Room Group

Should I take astronomy or astrophysics?

What are the differences between astronomy and astrophysics? I am wondering what the best route for me will be.
In your opinion, what’s more exciting?
Original post by Throwaway927774
What are the differences between astronomy and astrophysics? I am wondering what the best route for me will be.
In your opinion, what’s more exciting?

Hi @Throwaway927774

The difference between astronomy and astrophysics is a bit subtle from my understanding of the two. Astronomy is the broader subject studying the universe beyond earth while astrophysics is a branch of astronomy that investigates the physical processes associated with planets and stars etc.

I guess because astronomy includes astrophysics that I would have to give that my vote as being more exciting but I unfortunately don't know much about how the two degrees differ. My best advice would be to check out different astronomy/astrophysics courses at different unis and check out the individual modules offered. See if any particularly jump out at you as being super interested. It may also be worth looking at which unis offer only one or the other as a course as you may find yourself drawn to a particular university rather than a particular course.

Good luck making a decision!

Megan
4th year physics student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending