The Student Room Group

Can I still do astrophysics?

Hi I'm a 16 year old who just got her results and unfortunately didn't get onto the physics a level course as I was two marks off. As a result, I am having to take law and business but im taking maths aswell. I've always wanted to be an astrophysicist, is there any way that anyone knows of that I could still achieve this?
Reply 1
Original post by Alicia19283
Hi I'm a 16 year old who just got her results and unfortunately didn't get onto the physics a level course as I was two marks off. As a result, I am having to take law and business but im taking maths aswell. I've always wanted to be an astrophysicist, is there any way that anyone knows of that I could still achieve this?

I'd be very surprised if any university offered a physics degree that didn't have A-level physics as a requirement. Most ask for both maths and physics.

However, you could look into doing a foundation year first, youll already be doing maths which is more important for uni physics anyway

You'd need to look at courses with a foundation year or doing a gap year and doing A-level Physics in most cases.

The former is probably the more direct route although the latter gives you a bit more flexibility (but may be more costly depending on whether your school lets you take the A-level and science endorsement in a gap year without having to pay fees...).

If you're only two marks off the GCSE grade you need to access Physics A level, have you considered using you exam board's Review of Marking service?
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
If you're only two marks off the GCSE grade you need to access Physics A level, have you considered using you exam board's Review of Marking service?

I have considered it with my parents however i have been told that if they find no marking error then I would have to pay for the service and unfortunately payment is not a viable option for me
Reply 5
May I ask what your grade was at GCSE maths?
Reply 6
Original post by ajj2000
May I ask what your grade was at GCSE maths?

It was a high 6
Reply 7
It was a high 6

Cool. There was a young woman who was a regular poster on here who was very keen on astronomy but struggling with maths. I think she managed to get a place at university. Will try to remember her name to see if you could check her posts.

I think your big aim is to get decent grades and really focus on maths. There will be options for foundation years if you can get a grade in maths A level.

What do you like about astrophysics?
I have considered it with my parents however i have been told that if they find no marking error then I would have to pay for the service and unfortunately payment is not a viable option for me

That is correct, unfortunately. How about using their free Access to Script service then? This will allow you and your teachers to review your marked exam papers to see if you've been under-marked. In most cases you have immediate on-line access to you papers (although for AQA allow 10 days).

If your teachers can see that you've been under-marked by at least two marks, and that you should really be at the next grade up, you could try to use that to persuade them to allow you onto A level Physics even without having to pay money to the exam board.

(BTW, the rule isn't that "if they find no marking error then I would have to pay" - it's actually worse than that. You have to pay unless there's a grade change. So you could be 10 marks under the boundary, gain 9 marks via a Review of Marking, and still have to pay. :frown:)
Reply 9
Original post by ajj2000
Cool. There was a young woman who was a regular poster on here who was very keen on astronomy but struggling with maths. I think she managed to get a place at university. Will try to remember her name to see if you could check her posts.

I think your big aim is to get decent grades and really focus on maths. There will be options for foundation years if you can get a grade in maths A level.

What do you like about astrophysics?

I like the concepts of black holes, multiverse theorem and the concept of space and things like that
Reply 10
Original post by DataVenia
That is correct, unfortunately. How about using their free Access to Script service then? This will allow you and your teachers to review your marked exam papers to see if you've been under-marked. In most cases you have immediate on-line access to you papers (although for AQA allow 10 days).

If your teachers can see that you've been under-marked by at least two marks, and that you should really be at the next grade up, you could try to use that to persuade them to allow you onto A level Physics even without having to pay money to the exam board.

(BTW, the rule isn't that "if they find no marking error then I would have to pay" - it's actually worse than that. You have to pay unless there's a grade change. So you could be 10 marks under the boundary, gain 9 marks via a Review of Marking, and still have to pay. :frown:)

Thank u so much I'm gonna contact my school in the hopes we can find something
Reply 11
I like the concepts of black holes, multiverse theorem and the concept of space and things like that

Wow - that is proper theoretical physics/ astrophysics. Hopefully I can find the womans name as she did lots of research to find ideas and routes in. Will think of some ideas - there will be opportunities open to you if can focus on A level maths.
Reply 12
Original post by ajj2000
Wow - that is proper theoretical physics/ astrophysics. Hopefully I can find the womans name as she did lots of research to find ideas and routes in. Will think of some ideas - there will be opportunities open to you if can focus on A level maths.

If you could find her name that would be fantastic, if not please don't worry thank u so much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending